Recently started home testing for 12 yr old diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Clarissa, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

Hello, I made a new thread because I don't think anyone saw my recent posts.
    I've recently started home testing on my 12 yr old cat, Presto, as of 6/29/18. Today, I checked Presto's BSLs before his AM shot and it was at 381. As of last night, I've slowly tried to change Presto's diet to wet food, I've bought different flavors of fancy feast classic pate and friskies to see which one he likes. So far he likes the friskies salmon dinner. Today is the first time he's actually eating wet food, and I understand that changing from dry food will significantly affect Presto's BSLs. Since I am giving Presto wet food before his shot, is it safe to still give him the 2 units of insulin that I've been giving him?
    Update: I just checked Presto's BSLs 4 hours after his Insulin shot of 2 units and his BSLs went down to 82. If his BSLs still remain low before his next shot, what do we do about the dosing of 2 units?
    Update: I just checked Presto's BSL just now and it is at 320. Is it still okay to feed him wet food along with 2 units of insulin? (Vetsulin)

2. Ville

Ville Member

Hi Clarissa,

Our Sulo is in the early stages of home testing, but you can already check what low carb wet food did to his blood glucose levels (though he's always preferred wet food over dry one, so I could simply take the dry one away and give only this new wet instead of what he was having before). The link to his spreadsheet is in my signature. He's also been on 2 units of Lantus regularly despite the drop in his levels happening. And Sulo is like 9 lbs (doing a quick conversion from kgs) if cat weight matters in these things.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good job switching him over to wet and getting that test. Now you need to get a spreadsheet going to track numbers so we can help with dosing. Check his bg 4-6 hours after injection to see what it's doing.

Clarissa likes this.
  4. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

Hello, I've made a spreadsheet for Presto, I put the link on my signature. I am about to test for Presto's BSLs right now to see where it's at.

JanetNJ, Leah and Idjit's mom like this.
  5. Butterball

Butterball Member

Not a lot of data yet but the trend looks promising. His mid-day numbers are great and the pre-shot numbers are trending downwards. Just keep doing what you're doing, great job so far I'd say.

Clarissa likes this.
  6. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

Thanks, ever since I've added wet food to Presto's diet, the numbers have been getting lower, but I still mix a little dry food with it though. I'm just mainly worried about his hind legs because he walks wobbly and can't really jump on any surfaces, such as my bed, anymore.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might want to start him on Zobaline for Cats....it's a B-12 supplement that helps with diabetic neuropathy. It doesn't work overnight, but we've seen some amazing improvement!

Here's a cat with severe diabetic neuropathy that was treated with Zobaline and how far back she came!

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) and Clarissa like this.
  8. JanetNJ

Zobaline™ (for Diabetic Cats) 3 mg x 60 tabs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G3LI2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vWAuBbQGWY56J

Clarissa likes this.
  9. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

10. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

Thanks! I will definitely try this

11. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

I don't know what I would do if I didn't find out about this website, it has helped me and Presto so much, and I thank and appreciate everyone for helping. Don't know why my vet hasn't said anything to help with his hind legs even though she saw him walking very wobbly.

12. JanetNJ

Often they just don’t know.

13. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

My cat walks very similar to the cat in the video except a little slower with his back hunched. Presto is always indoors, and he lays down a lot after a few steps. I just ordered the Zobaline from Amazon today and it will be deliveredby sometime next week. I wish it would arrive sooner!

14. Butterball

Butterball Member

This is a common symptom of diabetic cats (also with untreated human diabetics). It should be improved as his diabetes is regulated, depending on the severity of it. In the week or so leading up to his diagnosis, my cat also did this. Completely went away with a few weeks of being regulated. I don't think he had accumulated a lot of neuropathy though

15. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Clarissa, you are doing everything you know how to do. Presto was just diagnosed on June 28, and you got busy and found this board just days later, plus probably a lot of other good information out there. You are proactive on Presto's behalf, and he is going to get better. I know it's hard to pull on those "patience pants" about the Zobaline arriving, but that's going to be a longer term fix also. I think you are admirable for stepping up and finding out what's best for your fur baby and sticking with it. Keep reading the info and asking questions. :bighug:

Clarissa and Leah like this.
  16. Clarissa

Clarissa Member

Thank you, Idjit seems to be doing very well! I'm not sure what to do about the dosing though, I'm still giving Presto 2 units from what the vet told me to do from Prestos last appointment, the first time I switched him to wet food, his BSLs dropped way down and I was worried about giving him the 2 units of it would be too much. So I just mix some dry food a little bit with his wet food.

17. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I can't advise about dosing, but post in the Vetsulin forum. 2 units might be too much now as low carb wet food lowers BG, and they can tell you about that. Good people there!

Clarissa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.