Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

This morning Murphy's left ear (around where I test him and further down) seemed warmer than the right ear with maybe a little pink - it doesn't seem to bother him at all, and there is no response at all when I touch and handle the ear. So I've tested 3x today using the right ear - now I am not sure if it is my imagination or not, but the right ear feels warm too and maybe a little pink. I always use the neomycin ointment with pain relief - I'm wondering if he is developing an allergy to it - he isn't trying to scratch his ears and doesn't seem bothered in any way. Has anyone had similar experiences?

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I've had the same thing happen with Squallie, several times. I used to worry that his ear(s) were getting infected, but it always subsided, so I finally stopped stressing about it. I just make sure to alternate between ears every time, and not test in the same place twice in a row.

3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Hi Lucy - thanks -so good to know yes, I was very worried about infection, especially with the left ear. But once the right ear seems affected as well, I don't think both could be. How long does it take to subside? Do you use neomycin?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

I use Walgreen's triple antibiotic because that's what I had on hand in the house, but Neomycin should be fine, too. Next time I'm going to get the one with the numbing agent in it. Squallie has some spots on his ears where it doesn't hurt him at all, but in a couple of spots it seems to bother him a little bit. Here's something else I do; I know they say not to use alcohol on your cat's ears when you do a poke, but about once a week (when I'm not doing a test) I wipe down his ears with an alcohol prep pad and then apply a light coat of antibiotic to both ears. I figure the daily applications of ointment picks up little bits of "micro-stuff" and occasionally he has some minor scabbing, so I think it's a good idea to clean it completely every once in a while. I guess a mild soap and water solution would work, too, as long as you made sure it was well-rinsed afterward.

Sometimes it has taken as much as 3 or 4 days to subside on Squallie, usually less, though. And since I've been doing the weekly cleaning it has hardly happened at all and, if it does, resolves itself in a day or so. :):)

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I use neomycin w/ pain relief all the time to poke - I'm just concerned he developed an allergy to it - both his ears now are warm and maybe pinkish but still they are not apparently bothering him, I cleaned his ear off today with a washcloth and a little soap Also poked without the neomycin and the blood didn't at all bead up - I guess I'll try to use vasoline until I can figure out what is going on. Wonder what it is, Lucy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Bubba too, and he doesn't like his right ear done which doesn't give his left ear a break....

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Colin's ears are red too. I had been using Vetericyn at the end of the day, but have switched to the triple antibiotic with pain relief since so many here recommended it. I cut my finger and used it on me, but didn't find it helped much with pain though.

8. Carol & Murphy (GA)

the whole ear is pink and quite warm - on both ears I don' see how both ears could have gotten infected, and he is not bothered by it at all - no pain when I touch, or he is not trying to scratch them, etc. acting normally I'm wondering if he developed an allergy to the neomycin but still, you'd think that would itch or be bothersome I"m kind of concerned about poking them and don't know if I should continue with neomycin

9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Wish i knew something to help, but I would think if they were infected they would have some swelling and pain. If you think it's an allergic reaction to the neomycin, then try discontinuing it, and see if that helps.

10. Squalliesmom

How long have you been using the Neomycin? I kind of doubt it's an allergic reaction to it, but you never know...! It sounds just like what happens to Squallie's ears from time to time but I don't know what it is, I guess they just reach a point where they're irritated from all the pokes. You could try using his paw pad for a bit, to let the irritaion subside.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

How do you do the paw pad?

12. Squalliesmom

I've never done a paw pad before, but my understanding is you use the large, central pad on the hind foot. Someone commented that you needed to use a little more force with the poke because the pad is tougher than than the ear, but like I said, I've never actually done it.

13. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I've been using neomycin since he was diagnosed - little over 2 months now (it feels like 2 years) most of the whole outer ear is pink and quite warm - on both ears - it's very weird. As he seems not bothered by it, and it sounds like the identical thing happens to Squallie, I guess I'll just watch it. I am quite sure he would freak out if I tried to do the paw pad - plus I heard there is a risk of infection when they use the litter box

14. Bobbie And Bubba

hmmm, wondering how that will go over, HA! Thanks for the info Lucy.

15. Bobbie And Bubba

I have noticed the same thing with Bubba. I am wondering if it has more to do with their BG levels being higher. Notice when you see red on both ears and warmest what the BG is .

16. Squalliesmom

[QUOTE=" I am quite sure he would freak out if I tried to do the paw pad - plus I heard there is a risk of infection when they use the litter box[/QUOTE]
    Lol, this is one of the reasons I have never tried it, Squallie would freak out BIG-TIME! They say there is no greater risk of infection but I would worry about that, too.

17. Squalliesmom

With Squallie, it would be a non-starter!

18. Bobbie And Bubba

Lol, this is one of the reasons I have never tried it, Squallie would freak out BIG-TIME! They say there is no greater risk of infection but I would worry about that, too.[/QUOTE]
    I was wondering about the litter box and infection. Somewhere on this forum, someone posted these pricey lancets that can be use anywhere on the ear, so it could give the edges a break. She was someone in the UK and I wish I could remember what they were called. They were color coded is all I can remember.

19. Squalliesmom

I've heard that a larger size lancet makes it easier, but have no first-hand knowledge. Squallie is an awesome patient but he doesn't like his feet messed with and I think he would probably draw the line there.

20. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I've found that Frankie's ears are warm and red when his BG is high and pale and cold when he is lower. I usually can guess roughly where he will be by the warmth of his ear. I'm not often wrong.

21. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Thanks - this morning both his ears are still warm and some areas (even those quite far from where I test- in towards the middle of the ear) are pink - I'm thinking it may be a neosporin reaction - still not sure though as one would think that would be itchy

22. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

So, it's possible (though not necessarily probable) that the Neosporin has killed off the normal bacterial flora in his ears, allowing for an overgrowth of yeast. If you can get a small sample of his ear wax and take it to the vet, they can look under the microscope and see how much yeast there is and whether he might need an antifungal. Just another possibility...

Julie and Scott and Squalliesmom like this.
  23. Squalliesmom

Wow, I never would have thought of that happening, thank you for the heads-up! :)

24. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I'm thinking now it's a allergic rxn to the neosporin - I'm going to use vasoline from now on

25. Julie and Scott

Julie and Scott New Member

Scott's ears are red and hot when he has an ear infection, yeast or bacteria.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.