? Red rash around chest below chin....?????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martica and Fred, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Hi
    Poor Fred, he just got over an eye infection caused by dry eye--and 10 days of antibiotic drops....but I just noticed a red rash with some dark spots (bruising?) in his chest area underneath his chin....this could be too things, and since I have shelled out $1500 in vet appoints in the last 6 weeks, I'd like to get some feeback before I take him in....this could be two things:

1. He has been on Tobramycin antiibiotic eye drops for 10 days (3x /day, 2 drops each eye). The vet gave me one bottle and no contraindcations leaflet with it. I ran out after 9 days and got a new prescription (original they said 14 days). I got the next bottle from the pharmacy and the info (geared to humans) said that an allergic reaction could develops--rash to the throat, neck, etc.

2. I washed him the other day with a hand towel and some soap--ivory, I think. (He gets dirty when he eats now as he's not licking himself clean much anymore.) I may have scrubbed a bit, but tried to get the fur rather than the hair. But I tried to be gentle, but perhaps I created some tenderness, or perhaps the soap was too harsh. (And maybe it wasn't all the way rinsed off...)?

Currently the skin is hot to the touch, it's red, appears to be about the same, not nec. getting worse, although not nec getting better. I skipped his eye drop dose last night and today so far in case that is the problem. Looks like the eye infection is gone hopefully.

Anyway, anyone have any experience or input on this? Poor Fred, things keep breaking down in addition to his mulitple chronic conditions......On a better note, he had his second B12 shot last saturday and I think that may be helping his walking, his walking is a bit better...we'll see after next Saturday's shot....

thanks
    Martica

2. vansplic

vansplic Member

When you washed him did you wash all of him with the hand towel and soap or just that area? If you washed more than that area the rash should be anywhere you washed. I used to be a pet groomer a long time ago (OK, very long time ago) and don't remember the details but I am pretty sure that cat skin has a different Ph than human skin. I know they make cat shampoo but it can be a bit expensive. You may want to ask your vet about using baby shampoo or baby wipes. I know we used to use the baby wipes (although avoid the Wet Wipes brand as they contain alcohol and can cause irritation) on the rabbits before they went into the show ring and I used them on Itty with no problems as well. Just some thoughts if it was the soap.

3. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Thank you...well I hand washed him with a washcloth in that area--although a bit more of the area that doens't seem to be affected--but it is possible that I didnd't wash it off well enough since I was not dipping him in water....

I spoke to the vet pharmacist who talked to the vet and she seemed to think that if it were an allergic reaction to the meds if would have happened sooner. (I NOTICED it on day 9 of hte dosing...it could have been smaller and present earlier and not noticed by me, of course)

If you did notice a reaction with your pets you groomed, what should i do...should I just give him a bath (I do that on occasion and he's ok with it--I use a foam newborn baby washing cushion in the sink). I have a tiny remainder of pet shampoo and last week used some 'gentle' people shampoo---and then a few days later the soap....But should I just rerinse him now in case any is still there?

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Martica, please only use shampoos that are for cats. Even human baby ones can be dangerous.......they absorb through their skin.......I remember reading some articles in cat magazines over the years reminding us all of the possible dangers of human shampoos. Some that we think are safe because even a baby can use it, can kill a cat.

5. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Oh gosh, I hope that my stupidity has not caused this. It's just really hard to keep on top of every single thing that one needs to know for this acute care! OK well hopefully it will recede, am keeping an eye on it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.