Refrigerate Yes or No

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacey LaMarca, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Stacey LaMarca

Stacey LaMarca New Member

Do I refrigerate Lantus after its open?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you using syringes to withdraw the insulin? If yes, then refrigerate. You might want to review the Sticky Notes at the top of this forum, lots of good info there. The second one down talks about handling Lantus, including storage.

3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Welcome, I refrigerate mine, pens and vials

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, also I refrigerate the un-opened pens as well. When I bought my Lantus at Costco last time, they even put one of those freezie thingies in the bag to keep it cold. The drug stores never did that........

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I have always kept my vial of Lantus refrigerated. It's 8 months old and still working like a champ....Luci earned another reduction today...when it stops working or I run out...then I'm moving to a new Lantus pen...

Catacular and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  6. Catacular

Catacular Member

Lantus instructions say...
    • Store unused Lantus vials in the refrigerator between 36˚F to 46˚F (2˚C to 8˚C)
    • Store in-use (opened) Lantus vials in a refrigerator or at room temperature below 86˚F (30˚C)
    • Do not freeze Lantus
    • Keep Lantus out of direct heat and light
    • If a vial has been frozen or overheated, throw it away
    • The Lantus vials you are using should be thrown away after 28 days, even if it still has insulin left in it [CAT PARENTS TYPICALLY IGNORE THIS LINE]
    Since I will be using Lantus longer than 28 days for a kitty, I store my vial in the fridge (in the door, where it will not freeze, but behind something to keep it from falling out!). The good news is that it looks like you can safely travel with Lantus as long as you don't leave it in a hot car. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Reason for edit: do not throw out after 28 days
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Storing Lantus in the fridge door is not ideal, too many temperature fluctuations there. I put mine in a small sturdy container in the back where the temperature is more even,

8. Catacular

Catacular Member

Yeah, things freeze in the back of my fridge, which would destroy the insulin. The door doesn't freeze. ;) This was a great recommendation from someone else on FDMB!

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yes, store opened and unopened Lantus in the refrigerator. I keep mine on the bottom shelf ( coldest area in the refrigerator) all the way in the back of the shelf in a small mug that I can easily grab the pen out of.

Oh, and hi! And welcome to L, B & L forum!

Would you like to set up a Spread sheet so we can assist you with dosing? There is a lot of good knowledge and information here. If you need help setting it up, just yell and someone will assist you.

Catacular likes this.
  10. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

The door is the warmest part of the fridge since it's opened and closed often and all the cold air around it escapes. Best to just put it on a shelf away from the vents at the back since the fridge is cooled from the freezer, and the back vents is the cold air coming directly from the freezer into the fridge cavity.