Regulating a Diabetic Rescue Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie Jensen, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie Jensen

Julie Jensen New Member

Hi,
    So joining based upon a referral from a savy cat rescuer that has helped multiple cats get into remission. I am hoping to help this rescue kitty that I have get into remission too, or at least be regulated.

Her name is Nala and she was surrender by her family 1 1/2 years ago and I have had her ever since. She is a scaredy cat but also very loving once we got acquainted. She was diagnosed in June of last year and we have been battling the fight together. She has been on three different insulins, this last one is lantus as I am told that is the best for cats. We just started it two weeks ago, so I am hopeful this one will be the ticket to get her regulated and not starving all the time. I really want to see her relaxing and enjoying her life. And hopefully one day become adoptable.

Attached Files:

Sparkle likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello Julie and Nala.

This is the place to be. So wonderful of you to help her. She is a beauty. I really can't give to much advice as I'm learning myself. Others will pop on soon to help you.

A few questions though:

1. How old is Nala
    2. Are you home testing
    3. How much Lantus are you giving
    4. What kind of food are you giving her
    5. Are there any other health issues with her

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi Julie, Hi Nala:cat::cat:
    Welcome to the forum!!
    There are much wiser people here than myself... just wanted to welcome you and let you know you are by no means alone and you will get amazing support and guidance here if you simply ask. The more data you have the better the advice givers can help you to get you Nala into remission or tightly regulated (not starving all the time :confused:) Hopefully you can set up a spreadsheet asap and fill out the info needed to get guidance that will help sweet Nala. If you need help with anything just ask...it is a pretty fantastic group:bighug:
    Your in the best place ever for Nala!!
    :cat:

4. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Hi Julie! So glad Melanie invited you onto the Board. Nala is quite the looker!

Feline Health is the place to ask any general questions, and Lantus/Levemir Land is our support group for "L" users.

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be:)

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Just want to add a welcome! Melanie has gotten you to the right place to get help for Nala.

Glad to have you here! And thank you for rescuing Nala and helping her get healthy!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!! I've "known: Melanie from her first time on the Board so any friend of hers is doubly welcomed.

Please let us know if you have questions and how we can help.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  7. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hi Julie:bighug: I saw Nala's picture and my heart just about stopped. She looks so much like my Yoda who passed 5 years ago. We used to call her our 'pink kitten' because her color was so pale pinky orange. We're delighted to have you and Nala aboard.

We hang out in the main forum to start, the one that Andy gave you a link for. That's the place to really get things rolling. Questions are answered and plans are hatched to keep our babies healthy! And then there's the Lantus Levemir forum, (sounds elven, doesn't it? o_O)...where you can really get to Know Your Insulin and the guardians who use it for their kitties.

Critter Mom and Gill & George like this.
  8. Julie Jensen

Julie Jensen New Member

Thank you so much for the welcome. Nala is about 8.5 years old and I have been doing home testing for quite some time. We started out with ProZinc, but because of the expense we switched to Novolin-N, then just recently switched to the Lantus, based upon recommendations of hopefully getting Nala in remission. There was a brief period of time that she seemed to be doing well. She gained back the weight, her fur has gotten better (she looked so ragged when first diagnosed). But I have not been able to keep her levels in the proper range and she is hungry all the time. We are feeding royal canin satiety and fancy feast, only the classic because I read to keep the carbs below 10%. She does not have any other health issues, thank goodness. Although last week (2/8) she was on clavamox for a cold. She is such a sweet cat and I feel so badly for her being hungry so much. It helped at first when we switched insulin, but now she is hungry again. She is on 2 units twice a day and her levels are still over 200 and over 300, but we are staying under 400 these days.
    Thanks again for all of the assistance.

9. Julie Jensen

Julie Jensen New Member

The other thing I didn't mention is that I am a not very well versed in how these forums work so if I am posting incorrectly, if someone would let me know I would appreciate it.

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Your doing fine. Cats tend to be overly hungry when numbers are high and when pretty low. Is it possible to provide her food more frequently throughout the day? And she might need more than what she is getting (i don't know how much or often you are doing). It is a trial and error process until you find what works.

Since you are on Lantus, you would post daily on the Lantus forum. Starting a new thread every day.

In the title bar, you would put date, Nala name and then her readings as you get them. You would ask anything in your daily thread.

Hope this helps.

11. Julie Jensen

Julie Jensen New Member

Hi, so I've been tracking Nala since she moved to the Lantus and the last week she has had the following readings:
    02/18/16 335 , 297 , 02/19/16 372 , 419 ,02/20/16, 256 287, 02/21/16 272 241, 02/22/16 298 234, 02/23/16 287 239 02/24/16 280

I am currently giving her 2 units twice a day and am wondering if I should go up or down in insulin and how much?

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You'll want to ask that question in the Lantus forum, where folks most familiar with that can review the guidelines for adjustment with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.