Rehome of wonderful Male cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jpresher02, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpresher02

jpresher02 New Member

Hello,

My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes. Due to our busy schedule and inability to be able to treat Max's condition in the best way we are trying to Rehome him. My Vet gave this forum to me and said to post and see what happens.

Max is such a wonderful kitty. He is 11 year old orange cat. His healthy weight was around 16 pounds, he is now down to 12.5. Max loves to sit on my lap at night. Max is known to eat toilet paper and tinsel like paper and plastic so keeping him from that is a challenge. Max would not do well with dogs but he is use to having another cat around. He is very attached to me and is ok with my 9 year old.

We live in West Bloomfield, MI please let me know it you are interested and reply to this thread

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

3. jpresher02

jpresher02 New Member

Thanks so much. This is very difficult. Appreciate the info.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

This is always a difficult decision, but if you are unable to give Max the proper care then rehoming him is the best, albeit saddest choice to make.

Hopefully others will see your post and maybe have some other suggestions for you. :bighug: :bighug:

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with Max.

First up, I suggest you also post this message on the Feline Health board: it gets more traffic than the Welcome board so more people should see the message there.

Secondly, should it be the case that you are finding difficulty in rehoming Max, would you be able to manage his treatment for the short term at all? I ask because, with the right insulin and treatment plan, newly diagnosed cats stand a good chance of going into diabetic remission (diet-controlled on low carb, wet food; not insulin-dependent). Indeed, some cats previously fed on high carb food have been known to return to normal numbers just following a diet change alone. We can advise you further on this as needed.

Mogs

scoobydoox likes this.
  6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

I am curious as to how much your vet told you it would cost to care for Max? When I first had my cat diagnosed after everything the vet tried to sell me it was going to be about $1200.00 a year to care for him until I found this forum and that changed real fast. I don't want to start linking to all the alternatives if there really is no way you are going to keep and treat him though.

7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. If it is the costs that are an issue, we can give a lot of suggestions to help save money. If it is time you are worried about, once you find a routine that works best for you, you will find that it only adds a few minutes to your day. We can help with this also.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.