Relion Premier Classic - having trouble collecting blood sample on strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LaraB, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaraB

LaraB Member

Hello all. Haven't posted in awhile (mostly lurk here), but I have a question.

I recently switched to a new meter. I was using the Relion Confirm, but it was 5 years old (yes, way too old - didn't realize they only have a 1-2 year lifespan). I purchased the the Relion Premier Classic, one of the newer models. I especially want to make sure that the numbers we are getting are accurate (thus switching to new meter).

One of problems I've been having is getting the blood sample to properly draw into the strips. Part of it may be that it requires a slightly larger sample than the Confirm, but I've been testing Joshi for 5 years now, so it isn't an issue with her ears not being conditioned to it. Yet, every time I've tried getting a sample, the meter gives me the insufficient sample error. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is there a trick to these particular strips for getting a sufficient sample? I've already wasted about 10 strips just trying.:(

I'm using the Confirm until I can get used to this new meter. (I should also add that we've had to adjust her dose - what we give her also depends on her pre-shot numbers. I'm hoping the old meter wasn't giving us numbers that were way off - I'll be curious once we can get it to work).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Reason for edit: Added info about her dosing
    Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I wish I could answer the question for you but I’ve never used this meter. I did a search and another member, @Dana & Ninja, uses this meter so perhaps she can give you an idea. I tagged her for you.

Hope that helps!

Jennifer R. likes this.
  3. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Have you made sure not to touch the electronic end with any neosporin or petroleum jelly? Or the other end, for that matter?

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  4. LaraB

LaraB Member

I didn’t use any petroleum jelly or Neosporin in these instances, so that wasn’t the issue. However, we did finally get it to work at noon today. I think the problem was I trying to get a sample from a blood drop that wasn’t beaded enough. The Confirm strip was a lot more forgiving in that regard, so that may the key.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

The Relion Confirm (and Micro) needed a smaller blood drop. 0.3 microliters. The Relion Premier needs a slightly bigger blood drop 0.5 microliters. Might not seem like much, but when you are used to those really tiny blood drops being enough to test with, it makes a difference.

You've been testing for a long time, but maybe a slight tweak will help. Slowwwwly move the test strip in to touch the edge of blood drop.

So disappointing when the Relion Confirm and Micro were discontinued. Reliable BG readings too.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  6. LaraB

LaraB Member

Are there any websites that compare the Premier’s accuracy with other meters? I’ve heard mixed reviews from a few people, though it would be interesting to see some statistics.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  7. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

8. LaraB

LaraB Member

Thanks! My day job is in a quality control lab, so I love seeing data. :)

Jennifer R. likes this.
  9. LaraB

LaraB Member

If the Premier proves to be a dud, I may look into the Contour - I actually work for Bayer and might be able to get a discount.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  10. Dana & Ninja

Dana & Ninja Member

I’m so sorry I got here late. I have been using the Relion Premier Classic for a couple of weeks now and I just love it! I’m surprised you are having problems getting enough blood. I found that I do t need as much compared to the previous meter I was using. If I was you I would take it bs k and exchange it. As you said it may be a dud. Mine worked great!

11. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

It might not be a bad meter. I had a similar experience.

I've been testing for 4 years with Whispy, and 5 years with our first diabetic. I still use the ReliOn Confirm with the 0.3 microliter blood drop. When I went up to help @Tina and Salem with a hypo a couple months back, she had one of the new ReliOn 0.5 microliter meters, and I had trouble getting enough blood with it as well. I tried to test him 3-4 times and got an error every time. Now, I was also testing on a cat I'd never met, whose ears were black instead of the orange that I was used to, but still...I was shocked that I had so much trouble. Fortunately I had brought my whole hypo kit and Confirm meter, and I had no trouble at all (even on a new black cat that didn't know me from Eve). But Tina was able to get blood with it just fine, so there must just be something wrong with us, Lara! ;-)

My stockpile of clearance strips expire at the end of April though, so instead of automatically buying the compatible full price Arkray strips I might buy a Premiere soon and try it because of the cheaper strips. It'll be interesting to see if I have that much trouble again when using it on Whispy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.