Remission? Could someone look at these numbers??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blue and Freddies Mom, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hi all,

So I'm embarrassed to admit that I ran out of syringes a few days ago so I was not able to give Blue his regular morning shot. I did go get a refil later in the day and planned to give him his usual shot in the evening. I decided to check his blood during the day to see how he looked without insulin. To my surprise his numbers were not far off from what they usually are while he's on 1 unit (hangs out in the blues--occasional green). This was three days ago, and he's still hanging in the blues --I haven't given any insulin. Sometimes it gets kind of high (169), but then something in his body brings it back down again. Do I continue with this as long as he stays in the blues (I know that under 120 is ideal, but I think blues are OK?) -- give him one shot a day, or go back to usual regimen? This is quite a shock to me as he's been diabetic for about 3 years now. He's eating and behavior is same as usual--running around with attitude!! I took him off dry food 6 months ago and now have him on hi protein/lo carb diet. If you want to look at the numbers they are on his attached spreadsheet.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

What sort of insulin do you use for Blue?

~M

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I myself would continue to give insulin at sat BGs > 150. With my Twigie I give her a little insulin when her BG is over 100. I found out that if I do not the BGs keep climbing.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I would also continue to give insulin until you have consistant healthy numbers (under 120).

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank for asking this! I'm in a similar situation where Bandit (on Lantus) is throwing some good blue numbers that are mostly in the normal range, but every so often he'll throw something above 150 but less than 200. I've been slowly lowering his dose and he's taken well to each decrease (he started .1u today), but I'm worried about taking him off the insulin completely. My vet wants me to to take him off the insulin next week as long as all his numbers are below 180, but I'm a little nervous. I think I might go two weeks on the .1u and then decide, because I want to wait until he at least is averaging out to be around 120. I don't want to move too fast and start having to bump him back up.

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

although Blues numbers are still in the blue, you can see they are rising slightly each time (though not a huge lot of tests to go by)

The transition from dry to wet has made such a difference! :mrgreen:
    Preety much across this board the greatest success has been to for want of a better word 'wean' kitty off the insulin, so next step would be .75u.
    Doesn't say which insulin you are on?

By continuing to give insulin you are supporting the pancreas-bit like a critch and means it doesn't have to work so hard and giving more beta cells chance to recover. Some cats it will still mean a tiny dose for life, others may achieve remission. There's no way of knowing.
    The longer kitty on insulin the less likely they are to come off it. Saying that, the change from dry to wet may be the change needed-just don't know.

If you were using lantus or levemir, you'd want to be getting green numbers and gradually reducing dose. Would mean a need for closer monitoring as the lower numbers move kitty towards the hypo zone if they drop too low.
    Need to make sure you have high carb wet available for such an occurence so can get numbers up real quick.

After .75 would be, .5, then ,25 and last .1 (very difficult for kitty to hypo on .1, but is still giving pancrease healing help)

Let us know how you get on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.