Remission? No remission? Insulin? No insulin?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by injuredrabbit, Jan 22, 2019.

1. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

Thought I would post in this group first while I await a call from my vet.
    My guy has gone almost 48 hours now without insulin. His numbers have ranged from 66 (after his last shot at 115 am on 1/21) to 99 (today, 1/22, at 1130 am).
    I understand, from reading posts in various threads, that it's important NOT to just stop the Vetsulin altogether, but I also do not want an episode of hypoglycemia. I am erring on the side of caution and following the advice given when someone says they "may have missed" when they gave an injection, which is to wait until the next one is due to give another shot.
    Since Rufus's numbers have been as low as they have, I'm hesitant to dose him at all until I hear from my vet.
    I have no spread sheet because I've had issues getting it set up. I am also in the process of corresponding with another member here who has offered to help.
    Some background info recently: before this turn of events, his numbers were all over the place, ranging between below 100 to nearly 400, but they've never exceeded 400. When I first started giving the Vetsulin, I noticed a nadir pattern of about 6 hours post-injection with a rebound that kept getting higher and higher, until gradually over the last week it didn't rebound as quickly or as dramatically, and now this!
    Also, I've noticed his neuropathy seems to be improving, as does his general demeanor/activity level/appetite.
    Cautiously optimistic but wanting to do right by my boy!
    Thanks for reading and any advice, anecdotal or otherwise, is much welcomed!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

It's possible Rufus has gone into remission but without data to look at it's impossible for anyone to give you a definitive answer. Given the BG readings you are getting, you are definitely right not to give Rufus insulin as his BG is in the normal range when you've checked it. It's also a good sign that his neuropathy and general demeanor/activity level and appetite are better.

If I were you, I'd continue to withhold food for 2 hours pre-shot time am and pm daily and test as you normally would. If Rufus can maintain those great numbers for a period of 14 consecutive days, then you can consider him to be in remission. If you get a higher BG reading but still too low to shoot, feed Rufus and then recheck his BG again 2 to 3 hours later to see if it is back into normal range. This will tell you that his pancreas is working. Ideally, Rufus will maintain a BG of approx. 50 to 80 but up to 120 is still normal.

You are correct that we don't usually recommend just stopping insulin however with Vetsulin, it's sometimes difficult to ease them down in dose because of the quick action and sharp drop Vetsulin can cause and the inability to shoot lower pre-shot numbers which is possible with some longer lasting insulins.

Good luck! Fingers crossed that Rufus is in remission. Please keep us posted.

Kris & Teasel and injuredrabbit like this.