Remodeling dust-cat safety

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by drjsiems, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I am about to have my finished basement remodeled that was ruined by water from a storm. There is going to be lots of dust including drywall dust. I would prefer to keep Boomer at home because he does not like going anywhere. I will keep him in a separate locked bedroom upstairs which he is used to. But I am sure the dust will permeate everything. Does anyone know how dangerous drywall dust or any other remodeling dust to cats' fragile respiratory system? Do I need to have him boarded during the three weeks this "mess" will be going on? Anyone had any experience with this kind of situation?

Thanks,
    Judy, Boomer, and Angel Jake

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I've remodeled. Cats stayed at condo.

A Light mist sprayed over dry debris reduces dust kick up when sweeping or vacuuming.

A vacuum with a HEPA filter reduces fine particulate dust blowout from the vacuum.

A HEPA furnace filter will reduce dust collecting in the ductwork and blowing around for months.

A HEPA filtered air cleaner will help remove the really fine particulate that can travel deeply into the lungs - cat OR human (you're at risk, too). Put one in the bedroom where you sleep and the room where the cats will stay.

After the construction is done, have a duct cleaning company with portable equipment come clean out all the ductwork (get quotes). This makes sure the ductwork has no contamination to blow around for months.

Watch for signs of
    respiratory function irritation - sneezing, coughing, wheezing
    allergy - reddening of eyes, mucus discharge, swelling, itching

3. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

BJM,

This is very helpful information. Thanks. It is good to know that I can keep Boomer at home. Did you or any of your cats (or dogs too in my case) suffer any ill effects from the dust from the remodeling of your condo?

Judy

4. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

Lara & Luciole (Lu) Member

Hi Judy,

BJM's advice is great, and I would also add that you can ask the contractors to put a threshold barrier up, such as plastic sheeting, to contain as much dust as possible to the basement. It doesn't contain 100% of the dust, but it helps a lot. You can also ask the contractors to use the type of plaster that falls straight down when it's sanded, rather than blowing around in the air. I had some renos done in March that involved plaster and drywall, and I just resigned myself to wiping down every surface with a damp cloth daily for about 3 weeks. At least you're doing renos during a good time of the year when you can have fresh air circulating.

Best wishes!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, all the cats were fine.
    I, on the other hand, discovered that wet drywall mud triggers my asthma - I had someone tell me my lips were blue due to hypoxia. Oops! I had them turn on the bathroom & kitchen exhaust fans when they left, before I came home, to reduce my exposure.

Paint vapors, new carpet off-gassing, particle board and plywood all have some chemicals which some people or animals may find irritating or allergenic.

Maybe talk with your vet about what, if any, meds you might have on hand for prevention, symptom relief, or if asthma, rescue (albuterol, prednisone/prednisolone/etc).

Have contractor set up exhaust ventilation, too.

6. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

BJM,

That is terrible that that happened to you, but thankfully none of us have asthma. Still, I will talk to my vet about all of this before the project begins. Also, this project is confined to the basement so maybe we have a better chance of keeping the dust confined.

I have made a list for the contractor of the things that you have mentioned and added to it the exhaust ventilator. You have provided very valuable information and I appreciate it so much.

Judy

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You're very welcome.

I didn't know I had asthma until after an evening of scraping popcorn ceiling gunk in my bathroom. I couldn't go up steps without stopping after each one. I'd seen an allergist for presumed allergies, so I called and got an Rx for albuterol, then asked if it was asthma and was told yes. I've learned more than I ever wanted about courh-variant asthma which is usually what happens. I cough like a barking seal, and since I sing, I'm really loud!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.