Renal failure?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karriann, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karriann

Karriann New Member

Unfortunately we lost our diabetic kitty Ginger in August only a little after 4.5 months of diagnosis and being on insulin, she was about 2.5 months shy of turning 16. My 19.5 yr old Cassidy just got diagnosed with renal failure, thanks to learning how to give Ginger insulin we have no issues with the needles for the subquetaneous fluids and Cassidy is chill about it.

Does anyone have experience with this and diet? Cassidy is already on wet food, no longer even looks at dry food and vet said we can give her salmon and chicken to help....if anyone has other options they have tried I would love to hear.

Thank you,
    Karriann

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here's a member with experience: @JanetNJ

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You'll want foods under 250 phosphorus. I like the tikicat after dark line. With treatment ckd cats can live for quite a while. If the low phosphorus food isn't enough to lower phosphorus, you can add a phosphorous binder to the food. There's a great group on Facebook called Cats with Chronic Renal Failure.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Terumo 19 gauge work awesome for SQ much better than monoject

Beth 73 and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.