911 Repost..numbers still dropping..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jeanne & Dottie, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Ok, this probably has been brought up before. I think I remember seeing it somewhere, but can't zero in on it.

Right now Dottie is fasting..and her BG is slowly, ever so slowly, going down. Does that mean that her pancreas still has a few working cells? Would BG stay level if it weren't?

Update: Perhaps I shouldn't have said she is fasting. I might have gotten a response. As it is, this post seems to have fallen to the bottom so quickly it disappeared.

Dottie was really fighting me today about eating. Haven't been able to check her keytones because I haven't seen her urinate. She fought me so hard about eating, with her mouth being sore, that I've decided to call an alternate vet tomorrow, to get an appointment to have someone else take a look in her mouth. I'm worried that there might be a spot of necrotizing bone somewhere, as she can eat, until suddenly YOW! She jumps up, claws at her face, and runs around.

So I decided to take an easy feeding path, and give her whatever she wanted. I got her to drink a little tuna water, and after that, to eat some tuna (1oz.)..and later on, I 'insisted' she eat an ounce of Friskies pureed chicken&tuna. We made a mess as usual but I got most of it into her.

But I haven't been able to give her her shot. Just before her injection time, I fell asleep and she slipped below her threshold that I've set, at 190..and since then, in spite of what I've fed her, there has been a slow march down in BG levels. She's been listless all evening. Can't get keytones from her because she hasn't urinated yet, that I know of...I suspect she went just before I woke.

I started having trouble getting blood out of her ears, so I suspected she might be a bit dehydrated, and so I've given her some fluid. And I also gave her a wee bit of FF gravy to boost her energy until the fluid takes hold. She was so apathetic it was alarming..lay down to get her fluids like she didn't have the energy to stand.

It's been almost 14 hours since her last shot, and her BG is at 99..and I'm still asking: Could her pancrease actually be working, or is it something else dropping these numbers?

For the past day she's been on less insulin, because her nadir kept dropping too low for comfort...so following protocol for PZI, she has only recieved a reduced dose of 1 unit of Protamine Zinc at each injection. I'm torn between wanting to watch to see if she'll stop dropping her numbers and level off, and giving her some more food.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.