Results of Using Libre on My Badger

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larry and Kitties, Apr 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

In March 2019 with my vet's assistance we inserted a 14-day Libre sensor on my Badger. I used my iPhone to scan the sensor and the Badger data was from the LibreView website. The sensor only stores the last 8 hours of data (taken every 15 minutes) but also data points taken when a manual scan is done.

First attaching the sensor:
    - Neck was shaved with a #50 blade which cut down to 1 /125 inch. Most vets likely use a #40 blade which only cuts down to 1/100 inch.
    - Also, 3M VetBond tissue glide Wass attached to the adhesive ring to better assure that the sensor stayed in place. When applying the tissue glue too much was applied near the outer diaper which resulted in some of it oozing out and contacting the outer ring of the inserting tool. The excess adhesive resulted in the sensor sticking to the tool making removal of tool hard without doing to remove the sensor from the cat.
    Sensor in tool.jpg
    The diameter of the “needle is about equal to that of a 25 gauge needle. In actuality, there is a needle-like pin that goes through the flexible tube that remains in the tissue after the sensor is inserted.
    the following is a photo of the removed sensor with the needle-like pine by the sensor/flexible tube. It appears thar the tube diameter decrease after insertion after the pin is removed
    Sensor and needle.jpg

2. Larry and Kitties

After insertion there was blood present by the pin hole.
    Top of sensor.jpg
    The inserted sensor was covered by a cloth collar
    fullsizeoutput_b0b8.jpeg

Latifa and BBelshan like this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

- The sensor provided data and remained in place for the full 14 days without any real problems.
    - After the 14 days I removed the band and tried gently to remove the sensor bu was not successful. I left the band off and was getting some soap and water to try to help and removal. However, when I returned badger scratched off the band, taking some skin off with the sensor. You can see that in the first photo. Here is also photo of the are on which the sensor was attached.
    Skin aftern sensor removed.jpg

4. Larry and Kitties

Now to the data which was obtained from the LibreView website.
    Bader Daily Libre wo_03-22-2019 copypag11.jpg Bader Daily Libre wo_03-22-2019 pg2copy.jpg Bader Daily Libre wo_03-22-2019pg3 copy.jpg Bader Daily Libre wo_03-22-2019pg4 copy.jpg

5. Larry and Kitties

Note that it seems that BGs significantly increased with time. Subsequently BGs have decreased to normal, low values, that is BGs about 100. In my opinion the increase is likely due to the sensor/attachment causing inflammation. Maybe some skin got torn away and caused/contributed to the inflammation.

Last, comparison of BG as measured by the Libre and my human meter (iHealth meter). Here is comparison. Every time I measured BG with my meter I also scanned the Libre. Here is the comparison. I added a =?- 20% band so one can better compare the difference
    BG comparison Libre JPG.jpg
    Note that not first the Libre was high but later my meter was higher. It seems the error was no greater about +/- 10%
    Also, when the 14 day period expires, on can no longer scan the sensor to get reading obtained before the sensor expired.
    Recommendations:
    - Use tissue glue but make sure you do not apply too much especially near the outer edge otherwise the sensor can be partially bonded to the insertion tool. That risks removing or partially detaching the sensor from the skin when the toll is removed.
    Make sure you scan at lest every 8 hours and right before the sensor expires
    Watch for an increase in BGs over time caused by the sensor/its attachment

That is all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.