Return from the falls - starting dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cheryl & Tom, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl & Tom

Cheryl & Tom New Member

Hi,

I haven't been a very good 'mom', since I have been ignoring Tom's symptoms for the last week, but when he started to chase me around the kitchen for food and emptied the water dish I knew it was time to check his BG.

His BG is 360 at this time. I am currently between vets (long story) and the only clinic open right now is the ER, since it is Saturday afternooon, so I was wondering if someone would recommend a starting dosage for Tom?

Thanks,

Cheryl

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Hey Cheryl, Nice to see you again. Sorry about Tom needing to go back on the juice but maybe it's just for a short bit. I was looking at your old spreadsheet and thought how about starting with 0.5u? Did you have any thoughts on what you should start at?

Tom's old SS
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... giMSHIX2Yg

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Do you still have your spreadsheet and can you link it here? Normal starting dose is 1.0u OR .25u per kg of ideal weight.

4. D and Noisy

I put the link to Tom's SS in my post.
    Are you going to take him to the vet for a blood workup? I suggested 0.5u to see if he just needed a little assistance first, then move up if it doesn't pull the numbers down.

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl,
    I can't advise you on the dose, but I wanted to say that it's good to see you, but that I'm sorry that Tom has to start back on insulin. I wonder what is causing his numbers to go back up? Once you can arrange to see a vet, maybe you should check out his teeth or check him out for a UTI or other infection?

6. Cheryl & Tom

Cheryl & Tom New Member

Hi,

I am having a bit of computer problems.

I will start with .5 U and see how he does.

I think there is something else going on with him so I will get him to a vet next week,

7. D and Noisy

Do you still have unexpired Lantus around?

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

You're in good hands with D. Sorry you had to come back, but hopefully, it will be a short stay.

9. Cheryl & Tom

Cheryl & Tom New Member

Yes, I use vials of Lantus and they are still good....I will just open a new one. I will give him his 1st shot around 4:30 pm (45 minutes from now) so that I can get him on my work schedule.

Tom doesn't have many teeth, but he does have one that is bothering him...I wish they had pulled them all when he had his last dental.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just wanted to stop by and say "Welcome." It sounds like you and Tom are among old friends here.

11. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl-- sorry to see you. YOU know what I mean! :lol:
    Glad you are taking him in to the vet next week --maybe there is something brewing and you can nip it now...and get him back on track. I wish you well! C'mon back everyday and post so we can see how you are both doing....
    BTW, Raja & Shadow are having a Full Moon party fll_moon this Tuesday and they would LOVE it if Tom could come....it's an Open House and we love to have lots of kitties here....so please tell Tom and tell him to give my two a call! :mrgreen:

12. Cheryl & Tom

Cheryl & Tom New Member

Re: Return from the falls

Hi,

Thanks everyone for their assistance and support. Tom's BG was 329 so I gave him the .5 U.

He is so funny. I warmed up his ear warmer and told he it was time to check his BG. He followed me to couch and lay down.

He probably knew days ago that he needed some insulin and was just waiting for me to clue in.

13. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

oh Cheryl, I'm glad to see you but sorry that it's because Tom is needing some insulin again. Hopefully it's just the tooth and he just needs a little help getting past that. How funny that he was asking for the routine!

14. Chris and Chloe

Chris and Chloe Member

Ditto the "nice to see you, but sorry it's because Tom needs to be on the juice for a bit". I hope you guys can head back to the Falls quickly. How smart our kitties are....they really do seem to know what we're doing, and what they need.

Hope the .5 does the trick!

15. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Aww, Tom is being such a good boy for you. Hope this is a short-term thing and that's he's back on track quickly.

16. Denise & Oreo (GA)

Denise & Oreo (GA) Member

Sure hope the vet says that it's no big deal and he'll be back to the Falls soon. Our kitties sure are amazing creatures. Sometimes I think they are smarter than us. Good luck. Nice to see you, but hope your stay is short.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.