Revolution and vomiting

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen and Flo, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

I put Revolution on all three cats (for the first time) on Friday, and Ollie, one of my civvies, vomited a couple times Sat. night and again this morning (each time after eating). Of the three cats, Ollie has never been a vomiter. No food change. He's also been hanging inside/in bed a lot, but it is cold and rainy, so that's not hugely unusual. The Revolution site lists vomiting as a possible side effect, but at what point does it become a vet visit? And what could a vet really do? He seems totally fine, and is certainly in no danger of getting too skinny, but it would be nice if he could keep some food down. Should I try baby food or something?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you bought it from a vet I would call them tomorrow if the vomiting does not stop. The immediate concern with vomiting is dehydration since the vomit is a lot of liquid. Make sure he is getting enough water. I would try baby food. If he acts nauseaish you might want to try Pepsid AC (1/4 of a 10 mg tab).

3. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Thanks, Larry. I'll get some baby food. Hard to know whether he's nauseated--he's acting like his normal, albeit rainy day, self. I have some unopened Pepcid, but it expired March 2009. Do you think it's still effective? I've got some pill pockets, so it won't be too hard to give. The Revolution did come from the vet (as samples, so no charge), when I took Ollie and his brother in on Wednesday. Their office is open later today, I think, so I will call.

4. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Re: Revolution and vomiting--update

Ollie has stopped vomiting (none since yesterday morning), but he also isn't eating much. No interest in baby food, regular canned, or even my (grain free) kibble mix, which is scary. Vet wants me to bring him in for blood work and (likely) subQs and injectable famotidine and something else (can't remember--maybe app. stimulant?). Doesn't want me to give famotidine in pill form b/c she thinks he'll throw it up. I don't know what to do. He's acting okay, and his skin snaps back when I pull it out. Gums look bright pink.

I'm bringing Flo in at 9:30 anyway--discovered a nasty-scary looking lump on the front of her lower jaw yesterday. Maybe I'll bring Ollie in just in case. But I can't afford the nightmare that is probably coming, so I'd rather do subQs @ home if I can, and try cypro and famotidine that I already have in pill form. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I received your PM. I agree that blood work is probably not required. However, since you are going to the vet anyway, I would drag him along for a loog see and initial minimal cost. If the vet say he need subQ fluids just say you can give them at home. The vet is right that if he is vomiting, oral famotidine (Pepsid AC) will not work.

6. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Thanks, Larry. I'll bring him along. Can't believe this happens a couple days after his check-up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.