Robbie amps 89 before breakfast

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

So he had JUST finished breakfast - we're a bit behind this am so I'm running to get to work - should 89 before breakfast be celebrated or should I be concerned? I'm just not sure how low should we go?

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Most definitely celebrated in an OTJ trial :mrgreen:

Cats in normal non-diabetic range can be as low as 40. Most are somewhere under 100.
    Yippeee-keep up the good work Mr P!

If you see a rise and then a reduction again in the following 2 hours, sign that pancreas is functioning at some level (you'll never know how much has recovered hence the phrase 'diet controled diabetic kitty')

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

I left him with some extra wet food - he was banging at the door to get to his sister eating her hairball dry (which as soon as we are done with the bag we will replace with a small bag of a high carb dry for emergencies maybe but going to keep her off the dry too I think)even though he'd had almost 3/4 of a can already.
    Now that he isn't getting the large handful of dry to graze on during the day and again at night he's really plowing thru the wet food - he used to eat 1/2 can am and 1/2 pm and now it's more like almost a full can 2x a day - gotta figure out what that's doing... can't wait to see what he weighs on Wed (house with no scale).
    thanks for the input - hoping his days of ups and downs and needles end - would be very joyous.
    Question - if he does go OTJ (full time) how often do I check his BG? He got a big scabby thing on his ear from this am test cause he wouldn't let me hold on to the spot and put pressure on it and ran away - when I found him again it was yucky - I cleaned it up and put antibiotic oint on it.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Things are certainly looking up, Ellen. Congrats to you and Robbie! Usually we say that they need to have normal numbers( anywhere from 40 - 80 or so) for 2 weeks before they are officially OTJ. During this time, I would test during the day when possible - morning and evening and when you can during the day. It is fun to test before eating and then an hour or so after eating, as the food will be lowering their bg levels, indicating a pancreas that is functioning! Just get some tests and keep records. If he starts to climb above 100, you would be much more diligent.

I am sure you have heard from others that our kitties are always identified as diet controlled, not no longer diabetic. Many cats here will get higher numbers if they get into high carb food, even if they have been off insulin for a long time.

5. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

THanks - yes, just like people once you are Diabetic you are always diabetic (diet controlled, meds controlled or not) - I figured we need about 2 weeks of good numbers - trying to get a feel for what really is good. It's startling how much better he feels.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CELEBRATED dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat flip_cat

7. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

and 128 about an hour after dinner -

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

More data to complete the picture. Maybe something a little higher carb for dinner? Some kitties are very carb sensitive.

9. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Yes, the wet food was a bit higher (of the three flavors we picked up it's the highest but still one of the ones on "the list") and my suspicion is he got to Roxie's dry when my husband came home and gave them dinner - he was rushing to get out of the house and start a drive to Boston - he said Roxie was finished when Robbie got in there but my guess is not quite.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think 128 an hour after a meal is still not a diabetic #..certainly not shootable or cause for any concern. you might want to test again before bed to see if he got it back down or continues to rise.

11. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Major dog issues this am and I am alone as hubby is on a job- didn't test this am :sad: Going to run home at lunch to let dog out and test Robbie - he was frisky as can be so I'm hoping we are still in the 90-120 range as we have been recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.