? Rom - getting very bouncy

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sue484, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

i just changed from Caninsulin to ProZinc and Rom has been getting steep drops and getting very bouncy, neither which happened with Caninsulin. The vet put him on 2 units twice a day. I thought that might be too much but it gets him to nice nadirs when the bounce clears, but then he shoots right back up there. I need to do a curve next weekend for the vet, but would like your input on how best to proceed after.

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi, well in my oppinion 2u is a little too much. It does bring him to nice numbers especially in the evening, but there is a unwritten rule that the cat may only drop around 50% from the pre shot number, and Romulus is dropping way more than that what is causing him to bounce.
    If Romulus were mine I would go ahead and give him 1.5u for now and see what that dose does the following days.
    The bounce is unfortunatelly something we all experience and need to wait for it to clear..

3. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Hopefully he just needed to get used to the new insulin. Is there a new insulin wonkiness?? Lol.

He's coming down slower now, +4 he's 16.3 (293) from an AMPS of 21.3 (380).

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  4. Ruby&Baco

Yes of course! Lol :smuggrin: you can look at @Fabiƫnne she also switched from Caninsulin to Prozinc and her cat Terry was also really unstable! Still is sometimes but she's doing so much better with him right now.
    Just have patient, the cats need to settle in, and sometimes that takes a while.

About the numbers he is coming down slower, but i'm guessing this is a bounce from yesterday. He's not coming down the way 'it should'
    Give it time! You're doing a great job! :bighug:

Sue484 likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with everything Ruby has said about size of dose, needing time to adjust, it being early days, etc. :)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  6. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

How should he be coming down then? Still slower?

+6 he was 14.5 (261)

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

That 85 was the lowest number he has seen in a long time, so a bounce would be expected. And he could have gone lower later in that cycle. Bounces don't look the same in every cat. In some, they bounce for the next preshot; some take 6 cycles to clear a bounce; in some cats the cycle after the low tends to be a little high and flat. It looks like the last might be Rom's pattern but time will tell - if you see the pattern repeated. So patience. Another thing that could impact his numbers is night vs day. Some people see a difference that might be more or less food or more or less activity. Learning his patterns will help you figure him out.

The good news is that the insulin works - he dropped a lot last night. And he didn't bounce a whole lot this cycle. Ruby's plan is definitely an option. Reducing the dose a little might even out things and give him more time to get used to the insulin and gradually lower numbers. Changing the dose from 1.3 on Canninsulin to 2 units on ProZinc was a big jump.

Sue484 likes this.
  8. Ruby&Baco

If he goes down by the book he should drop untill 50% on +6. So he should drop in a smile curve, if that makes sense?! :joyful:

Sue484 likes this.
  9. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Yes that does. Thanks.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.