? Rom - vet says decrease to 1 unit. Agree or not?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sue484, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi, i think the vet is right. We've advised you a couple of days ago to reduce the dose already to 1.5U I see but you've kept 2U. In this case I would definetely go back to 1U because Rom is giving you crazy nice blue and green numbers! And don't be discouraged if you see pink or red pre shot numbers... they are really nice numbers afterwards during the day. The preshot numbers will come down eventually!

3. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Ruby&Baco . I explained my reasoning for staying at 2 units on an earlier post. It was basically to keep my vet happy and prove to her that the dose was high, to which mission accomplished. Please don't think I was ignoring anyone's advice here, as I wasn't. Just one more question, if I reduce to 1 unit, then I won't see any of those nice blues and greens will I?

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  4. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Haha no Sue I wasn't thinking that at all, just haven't seen that previous post, been off the grid a little!
    Great that you did that to show your vet she wasn't right! Mission accomplished indeed ;)

Maybe you won't see those numbers immediately but they will pop up again! And if not than you can increase again after a couple of days (6 cycles, 3 days is the best to stick with a dose because then the dose can show you better what it does) to 1.25U.

Great numbers for Rom!

5. Alexi

Alexi Member

Rom seems to be slider rather than a curver, mine does the same but even more extreme! Looking at your initial numbers from today he may well do a repeat of yesterday, those AMPS and PMPS numbers need to be evened up a bit so reducing to 1 unit should help to achieve this. He looks to be getting a long duration of action from the Prozinc which is good but can make life a little more tricky when finding the optimum dose. Considering the short amount of time he has been on it he is doing really well. I do still think the start dose was too high and good that now the vet thinks so too. Several days on a one unit dose will show results I think and you can then ease the dose up a bit if needed.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Monitor today - catch the +2 if possible to see if it might be lower than planned and then try for the nadir. It could be fine; he might still be bouncing. The data will help you see where the dose might need to be, between one and 1.5.

MHO, I am big on increasing based on data, rather than trying (and worrying) about how much to decrease. So I think starting again at one unit, giving it 6 cycles (unless super high or low) and slowly increasing if needed would be good. But see what 1.5 does today.

Again MHO, it is pretty hard for a vet to argue with a dose reduction. Especially if the bean says they were worried about their cat's safety.

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Great advice above - I totally agree. And I must say that Rom is responding very, very well to the ProZinc given the short time since you began using it. :)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  8. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Sorry, busy day yesterday and only just catching up. My vet didn't argue against a reduction, the initial argument was me saying 2 units was too high and her saying no. I didn't catch anything lower than a yellow yesterday and today's AMPS is red!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.