Rough night, afraid Fitz won't pull through

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Fitz & Maggie & Mom, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fitz & Maggie & Mom

Fitz & Maggie & Mom New Member

I'm sitting up with Fitzhenry and I'm frightened.

He was diagnosed diabetic Tuesday after rapid weight loss, exc. thirst & exc. urination. His appetite had been normal up to that point. After the vet visit he wouldn't eat, which I thought was understandable. My other cat wouldn't eat either. He ate little to nothing Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday I bought EVO canned and I got him to eat about 1 1/2 TBS.

Today he wouldn't eat anything. He came into the kitchen when I put down the canned food, but he just sat and wouldn't eat. He came into the kitchen when I put down tuna water--his favorite treat--but again he just sat and wouldn't attempt to drink it. I put some on my finger and tried to excite his appetite several times tonight, but he kept pulling away.

He did drink a little bit today. But I'm really worried, especially reading about ketoacidosis--which my vet said as of Tuesday he DIDN'T have.

I'm not smelling anything unusual on his breath. He's lethargic and he's not grooming himself. I attempted a glucose reading on his ear, but I can't seem to draw blood. My eyesight isn't great and my fingers are clumsy. Maybe I should try to stick his foot.

I've been gathering info on financial assistance so I could begin insulin treatment. Last week's vet visit and new tires wiped out all of my savings, and I won't have $$ until the 3rd. But I don't think Fitz can wait until then.

If he's not eating and not on insulin, is karo syrup the way to go? Everything is happening so fast...

2. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

I have no advice, but wanted to post a hug to you and a snuggle to Fritz...hang in there. Folks'll be around soon, and hopefully they'll have information to give.

Best-
    Michele

3. Fitz & Maggie & Mom

Fitz & Maggie & Mom New Member

Update:
    Tried a little Karo syrup on his cheeks. He's made it through the night, but when I set my garbage outside the door he suddenly ran outside. My father always said animals would try to get outside when they were dying.

My apartments are part construction site, and he'd jumped down into the cold, wet red mud and got under the building. I finally managed to climb down & get him by the scruff, but I had an awful time climbing back out.

He drank a little, & now he's crying at the door. I'm waiting to call the vet's office....

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Try getting some Catsure and mixing it with his food to make it soupy. A friend of mine is going through a similar thing with her cat and this helped to get her to start eating. I know that you can get it at PetSmart and Pet Supermarket. It's kind of like Ensure meal supplement for people but this is for cats.

Otherwise you may need to start force feeding him. Sometimes this is necessary to get healthy enough so they will start eating again.

5. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I just want to offer a little help, it won't be much, but it's all I can do. If you are still in need of insulin, I have a new Lantus pen that I purchased from another member on these boards. My cat has now been placed on Prozinc, and seems to be responding to it well, so I have no need for the Lantus. I would rather send it to someone in need than for it to sit and expire in my fridge. Just let me know if you want it. You can send me a PM with your address, and I will get it overnighted to you. Praying for Fitz!

6. ceil99

ceil99 Member

WAIT____________If he is NOT on insulin, you do NOT want to give him Karo syrup!!! nailbite_smile

Karo syrup is only if he is getting too much insulin and his levels drop too low. confused_cat

What are his numbers when he was diagnosed?

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

It really just sounds like his bgs are too high and he needs insulin. Please take advantage of the offer of a lantus pen, or if you can, buy a small vial of humulin N from the pharmacy and give him 1 unit. And you absolutely need to syringe feed him some watered down food as he absolutely needs food and water.

8. Natasha & Seamus

Natasha & Seamus Member

Yes, if hes not on insulin please don't give him Karo! Thats for low BG's after insulin.

Hope the vet offers something.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

as for getting him to eat - do you have any baby food?

If not, pick up several jars of beech nut stage 2 - any meat flavors.

While it's not a balanced diet, it's all protein and you need to get something in him - this will hopefully help get him eating.

Warm it up - you can also warm up canned cat food too and see if the smell helps any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.