Round Cyst Busted Open By Civvie Schooner

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jean and Charcoal, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Just wondered if anyone has seen these cysts on their cats? My almost 15 year old civvie, Schooner, busted open his cyst near his right eye/ear last night, and of course there was blood and fluid that came out. It seemed to ease some of the pressure as the cyst has kept getting bigger the last couple of years. He now has one on his left arm, that is twice this size. That one does not seem to bother him.

I put some antibiotic eye ointment on this by his eye, in case he rubs it into his eye. It seems he is leaving it alone right now.

I had the vet look at it when she came to my house a couple years ago, and she called it a 'follicular cyst' (or sebaceous cyst) and she said they were benign, just to leave it alone.

Has anyone had these occur on their cats? Is it best to just leave them alone if they break open? I just don't want it to get infected, since he busted it open with his right rear claw by scratching at it.

Thanks for any info or experience by anyone that has seen these on their cats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

No experience with it but I think you are on the right track with the antibiotic ointment. Definitely do not want it to get infected. Hope it is better soon!

3. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Those resemble the small cysts Yoshi used to get just below his ears. He would scratch them and they would bleed. The vet said the were squamous cell cysts and might become cancerous so to consider removal. He left from intestinal cancer before they were checked again.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Tucker has cysts on his shoulder and tail, lots of them. Some look like little brains. Henry(GA) used to have them too. Nothing I can do but clean them up once in a while, they get pretty dirty, not sure why, maybe Tucker doesn't like to clean them.

5. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. :)

These cysts on Schooner are round and smooth, of course, till he popped it open. It has still been oozing off and on today. I will just keep an eye on it and put the ab ointment on it a couple times a day.

Guess cats just get cysts and skin tags and things, just like we humans, as we age. I have a lot of those red hemangiomas all over since I have gotten older. Plus skin tags. And moles, etc. I have a red hemangioma right on my right eyelid, and my little 2 year old grandson when he sees me points at it and says I have a 'boo-boo'. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.