? Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Diabetic DS 46

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by puppy8910club, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

just spoken to vet again taking him in tomorrow for checkup.

She said we can try inhaler, and ideally with the ventilin it needs to be done 30mins / 1 hour after as this will open his airways and then inhale. IF he does not cope with it or I in terms of giving him the medication we may need to think of Put to sleep.

His diabetes is now not the problem but the combination of asthma on top. I am so stressed out and tired . Even if he does tollerate it, selfishieley it means getting up at 5am to give food / insulin / other meds, then 6am inhaler. Then repeat process in evening (ideally twice day) and again its another time constraint for evenings. So upset i dont want to PTS but realisticly for him / me it could be the only option :(

5am Insulin medications , foods
    6am Inhaler (if tollerates)

5pm insuling medications , foods
    6pm inhaler

Seems simple on paper and at moment i am doing all the insulin and timings but its more the stress of him not accepting the inhaler. At moment he swipes me doing the other things to him and i just feel his quality of life from outdoor cat to now indoors, loosing weight (maybe temp), strugling to breath, and having a Yo, yo lifestyle with diabetes. Him being depressed indoors etc etc.

On the flip side diabetes i could get a good result with, and IF IF IF he takes to inhaler it may work. As with anything i will TRY it ............. Would miss him so much :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

I'm sorry I'm too weak winston was just put to sleep :( . Had a bad asthma attack when got home . And went to attack me after . I know that could be a one off but I couldn't let him suffer . I took him straight away as weeks ago I knew this would come to it . Thanks for all your help I'm sorry I wasn't stronger for him :( x

3. Amy Dobson

Amy Dobson Member

Steve, I'm so sorry.
    But you were incredibly strong for Winston. It takes great strength to care for a beloved pet the way that you did. And an insurmountable amount of strength and compassion to not let him suffer any more and put him to sleep. I respect you hugely for that.
    You must be devastated, but you did the right thing by him.
    May Winston rest in peace, with easy breathing and endless tins of his favourite Sheba.
    Sending my best wishes to you whilst you grieve :rb_icon:

4. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

thank you. I feel so so bad :( I watched him go and his face :(

I kept him going for years when some may given up but i just couldnt keep strong enougth. His diabetes would have been ok but his breathing was what made me make the call. He wouldnt take medicine and me and vet knew inhaler would not have gone done well but i also feel guilty as hell as without giving it a go. Having said that realistically i am so stressed and tired the inhaler was another step of more stress for both him and I .

RIP Winston u be so sorely missed :(

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh, ((((Steve)))), you poor love.....
    I am so very sorry to hear about Winston....

Please don't doubt yourself. You were a wonderful friend and caregiver to Winston. You knew him so well and you could see that he was suffering. And you had the courage to let him go.
    I'm sure he knew he was loved.

I expect you feel as though your heart is breaking. When our kitties pass it is as though they take a piece of our heart with them.
    Be very kind to yourself over the coming days. Grief needs it's own time and space.

Huge hug to you, dear (((Steve))).
    Fly free, Winston. Land softly in the heart of the one who loves you best.

Eliz

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. puppy8910club

puppy8910club Member

Heartbreaking, me and my gf are just shocked still

It came about so quickly, i know i maybe panicked but then i was thinking about this for some time. I even bought him new treats and litter today but when i came home and he had an attack and struggled for a while i knew i had to call vets to get checked. Long term his asthma and diabietes was a leathal combination. I Know with the great help from here i could have got a good level on his diabestes and was improving all time and u helped me with home testing etc.

My girlfriend was at work and i took him so quickly to the vets even I did not have chance to say goodbye . I knew if i took him home again it would be even worse although i do regret not having a proper chance to cry goodbye. I stroked him to sleep and my baby has gone.

Thank you all so much for all your help, please keep supporting others like u do it will save so many lives. I am gutted it came to this, asthma got the better of us :( x

7. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Steve, I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. But I can tell that you loved Winston through the computer, and I'm sure he felt your love in person. Don't question yourself, but do give yourself time to grieve.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Winston.
    {{hugs}}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.