Running out of Steam - Are there any options?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diana and Yuri, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diana and Yuri

Diana and Yuri New Member

Hi all,

I joined this board a little over a year ago when Yuri was diagnosed in July 2009. It has been extremely helpful to me throughout everything - from the beginning confusion as to why he was sick/peeing everywhere, to choosing a vet/understanding that most aren't well versed in feline diabetes, to picking an insulin, giving the shots, drawing blood, food to feed, and what to do once his hind legs started going.

But I am running out of steam, and have been struggling for the last several months deciding what to do next. When he was first diagnosed I was in graduate school and working part time, so while my schedule was not stable, I was at least home many days to be with him. He's an extremely loving cat that needs a lot of attention. I started a new job 2 months ago that keeps me away from the house all day, so while this (along with my amazingly helpful roommates) have helped get him into a very regulated 12-12 hr shooting schedule, he is now keeping me up throughout the night. I don't know if it's because he sleeps all day and then is totally energizer, or if there is something new going on - he was happiest when he used to live with two other cats (they tuckered him out :) ) but they have since moved out, I am wondering if he just has tons of pent up energy? When it comes down to it though, I am completely exhausted, really can't afford to go back to the vet for another $500 bill, and really don't know what to do. I haven't seen many posts like this, so I feel bad airing all of this - but I honestly would just really appreciate some feedback as to what others have done in similar situations.

Let me explain some background and what is going on now...

Insulin: I started Yuri on Novolin N last July and was consistently watching his numbers with home testing. I read that this was not the most successful insulin, but the pharmacy told me that while this one cost $25/month, the next one up cost close to$100, which I couldn't even begin to think about affording. He was showing some improvement, but they still were 100+ almost all the time. It seemed that he was FEELING better though, his coat was shiny, he had his pep in his step again, and he completely stopped going to the bathroom all over my apt. After a number of visits to the vet, Yuri has ended up on 5 units of Novolin N twice a day (usually around 7-8 am and pm). I realize this number is a bit high, and that it would probably be more useful to switch him to a more effective insulin, but I really just can not afford it. :sad:
    Hocks: When his back legs started to look really bad I brought him into the vet again and he did nothing to help, so I researched and found out that Xobaline (Vitamin with a type of vitamin B in it) might help. It did. He has been on that for about 6 months now, and while his legs still "look like a bunny" (the roommates now call him "Yuri Bunny") it has not gotten worse, and he can now jump a little bit better again.
    Litter box: He goes A LOT. Far more than a "normal" cat, and while I know he is not a "normal" cat, this has gotten discouraging. My roommates are kind about this, but the apartment stinks daily, despite doing full daily cleanings that almost wipe out the whole box. Most days he has solid BM's, better than the runny ones before, but they stink like wild, and he sometimes tracks throughout the bathroom/apartment. Pees a ton, so it's very difficult to clean the litter box daily because of all the moisture. I've tried a hundred different litter combos, and now use Special Kitty, plus odor/liquid absorbing crystals that I add, plus baking soda to try to cut the smell.
    Food and Hunger: I switched him to a 99% wet food diet (unless I had to leave for an overnight I put some dry out) varying from Wellness Core, Wellness, Natural Choice, Science Diet and other recommended brands. He is a larger cat, so I feed him one full can in the morning and one full can at night. This ends up being $60/month. He had always loved to eat (getting into trouble finding the dry food when he was a kitten and ripping open the bag, trying to get in to the garbage can, etc.) but once he was diagnosed and taken off a free fed diet he seems to have really kicked it up a notch. For the first several months it wasn't so bad, he would wake me up at 4 or 5 or 6 in the morning - not the best thing in the world, but also not the worst. He tended to cry A LOT when people were in the kitchen, trying to get fed. Over the past 2 or 3 months, though, he has gotten worse. He constantly cries when people are around or making food in the kitchen, tries everything humanly (or cat-ly!) possible to get food off the table/peoples plates, so we have to shut him out of the room when we're eating. He has also been waking me up throughout the entire night crying, scratching, moving things around on the floor to make noise. If I go to sleep at 11:30, he now wakes me up at 12:30, 2:30, 4:00, 5:00, 6:00...etc. I am getting little to no healthy sleep most nights and it has really taken a toll. I've tried to put him in the bathroom with food, water and his little cat bed and toy, but he just scratches the door for hours and cries (there is no other place to put him in my apt.) My roommates have taken to barricading the stairs to try to keep him on the first floor, away from their bedrooms. They are extremely nice about it because they understand that this is a hard situation - but I don't know how much longer I can ask them to be OK with this. I tried giving him Melatonin, because I read that it could help, but it really hasn't done much. And honestly, at this point he is on 10 units of Insulin a day, Xobaline and Melatonin - when is it time to stop?? Am I just drugging him to keep him alive?
    BG readings: I became discouraged doing the daily BG tests several months ago, because his poor ears were always bruised and it just got to be too much. I have done a few recently, and see that he is still high (200+) by the time he needs his shot, but that he gets some numbers below 100 (75ish) when he is a few hours into the insulin. His coat looks great, he plays consistently, seems happy when he isn't crying (he is happily purring and laying on my bed now that I let him in my room at 5:15 AM after being woken up every hour since 12:55) and has even gained a little weight over the past few months. I know I should be keeping better track - but as the post is titled, I am running out of steam.

HELP! Please! I really don't know what to do. My friends and family are telling me it is time to put him down, because he is now seriously effecting my sleep, my health, and the overall mood of my living space and roommates, not to mention my wallet and stress level. He turned 7 in May, and it makes me so upset knowing how young and sick he is! I have truly tried to make this work, and I don't know what to do now. Are there ANY OTHER OPTIONS besides putting him down? I know that most places will not take in a sick cat, does anyone know of any options?? I live in Northern NJ.

Have others had similar problems with their cats keeping them up all night? I hesitate to drug him up anymore than he already is, but am curious if there are any solutions to keeping them sleepy at night? Is anyone else's cat so needy for food? Am I missing something entirely? I should have asked these questions months ago, but I have been a bit in denial.

Finally, has anyone had to put their cat down? What is that process like? I have not liked any of the vets I have gone to, and am so hesitant to bring him to any of those places for his last day (I hate talking about this :sad: ).

Please help, any and all advice would be so appreciated right now.
    Thank you so much.
    Diana and Yuri
    confused_cat

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Yes, there are other options than putting Yuri to sleep!

The price you were quoted ($100/month) was probably for a vial of Lantus at your local pharmacy...it IS expensive that way, but there are more cost effective ways to get it. Lantus or Levemir can be purchased from CanadaDrugsOnline for around $125-$135 for 5 pens, each pen will last you at least a month...so you certainly can get a MUCH better insulin for around the same cost as the Novolin N! I would encourage you to look into both of these insulins, read the stickies at the top of the ISG forums. The insulin you are using is not the best choice, and with a better insulin, it would be possible to get better regulation...that will alieviate many of your issues, I'm sure. You also could use a PZI or ProZinc, they are also good choices and not terribly expensive either...I believe BCP PZI is pretty inexpensive ($60/vial?), ProZinc is a bit pricier ($120/vial) but they stay good longer so you can get a few months out of a vial. Look at the stickies at the top of the PZI ISG also for info on those insulins. You do have much better options, even on a budget!

You talk about how he is begging for food....what does he weigh? What is his ideal weight? Is he gaining or losing weight on the diet he is eating? An unregulated diabetic cat is literally starving because he can't absorb the nutrients from the food..the insulin is what enables him to use the food. Unregulated cats will eat a LOT more food than a normal cat in an effort to feed their body, but they can't use it efficiently until they get regulated. He is acting like he's starving because he IS starving. Until you get him regulated, you need to feed him more food, I always say feed as much as they want unless they are overweight. Tinkles ate twice as much as he does now when he was unregulated. Are you feeding low carb food from Janet&Binky's list? Make sure you choose foods that are below 10% carbs, personally I only use food below 4%. NO DRY FOOD! If you need to leave food out, try mixing the wet food with water and freezing it in ice cube trays, then leave the cubes out to defrost slowly for fresh food later. You can also use an automatic feeder to portion out food over an extended period of time, with or without freezing the cubes.

The excessive urine in the LB is a clear sign that Yuri is unregulated. You need a better insulin, or better regulation with the Novolin N. I really think a better insulin is the easier choice....see the pattern here? The insulin is KEY.

You need to get back to home testing, it is the cornerstone of regulation. I know it can be difficult when you are starting, but it is worth the time and effort! If you want to get Yuri regulated, you NEED to home test, it really is the best way to make sure the insulin is working well and safely for Yuri.

PLEASE do not listen to those who say that you should put Yuri to sleep. That is absolutely not necessary, you just need to get a better handle on his FD and you CAN do that! We can help you!

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

There are a few things going on here that I'd change. First, diet. Get rid of the Science Diet and the occasional dry. Second, feed your kitty more. Begging like that could mean that the BGs are low and he needs the food to help keep him regulated. You can take the canned food, add a touch of water to it and then freeze it in ice cube trays if you don't want to spend the money on an autofeeder. Take a few cubes out before you go and he can eat as they defrost. I've done this several time when I wasn't going to be home.

Eating more often like that will help regulate his numbers and help keep him from begging during the night and get you some sleep.

Second, change the insulin. You spend $25 per month on an insulin that I consider junk. Tucker did poorly on it. It lasted for him about 6 hours. That meant 6 hours of the day and 6 hours of the night he had some control, for 12 hours of the day he was out of control and feeling sick.

Buy the Levemir or Lantus, post on the supply closet about splitting a supply of pens. The pen cartridges last a very long time, not one month. The Lantus or Lev will help your cat feel better and get regulated if you're willing to hometest. By hometesting you will be able to regulate your cat and through regulation you will get your cat's back legs to straighten up. An unregulated cat with neuropathy, no matter how much MethylB12 you give will still have neuropathy. MethylB12 helps, but it's not a cure. Insulin regulation is the cure.

We can help you with this. Treating FD is not hard, I adopted Tucker in 2005, soon after adopted Sadie and Misty, all FDs. Today I have Bean and Mr. Darcy who are off insulin but were on it when adopted. I know how hard this can be, I was traumatized in the beginning with Tucker, but I also know how rewarding this can be and how strong the bond can be because hometesting does create that bond. There is not a day that goes by that Tucker does not come to me at test time and look forward to his treats. He is so intent on his hometesting that when he feels off he goes to his spot and a few times recently he has shown me when his numbers are low so that we can get some more food out for him.

It's a process and there's a learning curve, but post here daily for a few short weeks, ask questions, listen to the advice, change the insulin, feed smaller meals more often and things will fall into place. I urge you not to post and then disappear for a while and try this on your own. You've already done that and now you feel tired. Come here daily, ask, learn, test and things will turn around for you both.

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

If he is getting hungry at night...perhaps a timed feeder ? So he can have a canned food snack (not dry).

Perhaps a kitty companion for the daytime ?

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i buy lantus via canada drugs online and i think it's around $129 (including shipping) for 5 cartridges of lantus, from which you remove the insulin via a regular U100 syringe. each cartridge lasts me about 2.5 months. so you're getting a lot of months out of your cartridge, at about $11 a month for insulin. some people's vials have lasted as long as 7 months that i know about, but i prefer the cartridges because if you damage it you still have good insulin left over.

gotta home test to know how the dose is working. right now your cat appears unregulated (starving/neuropathy/200s preshots when tested) so it appears kitty is not on the right dose or insulin. honestly it would behoove you to switch to lantus, levemir, or prozinc.

have you considered investing in an automated feeder? that may minimize the begging, once your cat figures out how it works. i think you can get them for a little over $60, and they can be set up for 5 separate meals a day. just feed him more, and go for cheaper low carb food. you do not have to feed wellness or anything fancy. just try to stay below 10% carbs (increase the quality of lower-cost low carb canned food, add boiled chicken to it occasionally -- chicken boiled in water only). don't make chicken more than 15% of your cat's diet, tho, or you'd need to add feline nutritional supplements to it including taurine.

6. Diana and Yuri

Thank you both for your comments! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I do want to respond to a few things, not because I don't appreciate the insight, but to let you know that I have thought a lot of these things over a thousand times over the last year and want to share my reasoning for not pursuing these paths prior to now.

I know that $60/month may not seem like a lot to others, but it IS a lot for me. Feeding as much as he wants is pricey as well. I was feeding him a little bit throughout the day when I was in graduate school, so it wasn't as long between feedings, and he was doing a bit better. Also, I do the frozen food cubes when I'm leaving, but I have to be totally honest - I'm 23 years old, and can not justify not living my life on weekends (taking trips to visit friends and family) because of Yuri. I don't think that is something that makes me a bad person, or a bad pet owner, or love him any less, it's just the reality of the situation (at least from my perspective? but I would hope others as well). I cut down from buying $1.50 cans of Wellness to the Natural Choice and Science Diet which are $1 each because it was just getting too expensive - one month of that is one thing, but after a year I just couldn't do it anymore. If I were to feed him 3 cans a day of the Wellness to keep him satisfied, that adds up to $126/month, plus $60 in insulin, plus syringes, plus litter, plus testing supplies....I understand some of those a minimal, but months and months of it do add up. I'm hope you can understand my discouragement! And I realize that if I could get him regulated, those costs would go down - but how many more months of his condition can I expect 3 20-something year old roommates to stand, including not getting full nights sleep when each works full time? I really hope that my comments are not taken as me being unreceptive to your advice, I just needed to explain my thought process.

I understand how important the better insulin is, and I really appreciate the suggestion of the Lantus pens online, that seems like it's definitely a reasonable price, and maybe I can give that a shot. He weighs about 14 pounds, I'm not sure how to determine his ideal weight? He is now gaining a bit of weight (I'm not sure how much, no scale, just can visibly see).

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Regarding canned food, I feed Friskies and 9-Lives. Typically they are under $0.50 per 5.5 oz can.

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I would just like to say that it also sounds like Yuri is dying for some attention. Do you play with him when you get home? Maybe you can schedule some daily evening play time. Those activities that you are describing sounds like a cat that needs to play and get some attention. :mrgreen:

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I use Lantus in the pens and Ricky's dose is about 5 units per day (2.5 units am & pm). A pen usually last for about 2 1/2 months and I am able to use it all.

10. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

As for cost, I'd suggest two things: Look at Janet and Binky's food chart as it includes low carb Friskie's and Fancy Feast, both of which cost less than what you are using now; Consider changing insulin to Lantus and then purchase the SoloStar pens (I purchased a vial one time, and even with two sugar cats - each getting 2U BID - I had to throw about 1/3 of the vial out). I know the up front cost of the pens may make it seem like they are more expensive, but you will likely use most/all of the insulin in each pen.

It sounds like Yuri is getting lonely. He was used to having other cats around to play with each day, and now they have moved on. Perhaps get him another playmate?

Other than that, I think you should really consider the good advice you've been given in this thread. You do not have to PTS Yuri, and there are effective ways to cut your costs and get him well regulated at the same time. Getting him regulated will resolve many of the problems you're having with his eating and the litter box.

11. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

regarding the stinky poop / litter maintenance
    Two things that have made a WORLD of difference for us have been:
    1) Feeding a raw diet. The upfront cost is a bit more, but leaving aside the overall health benefits, an immediate change is that (and I've seen this in every cat and dog that I have fed raw) their sh*t don't stink! A big reason that feces smell foul is when filler and junk that can't be digested passes into the intestines, it becomes a buffet for the bugs in the animals gut. The food effectively putrefies, and what you are smelling are the nasty by-products. Raw, species appropriate food has minimal junk-filler and once it passes through the digestion process there isn't much left to process. Even if raw isn't an option, explore other foods and see if you can find something that comes out a bit less stinky.

2) Using a cat-genie litterbox.
    Not gonna lie, the upfront cost is expensive (~$380 to get started, though you then buy nothing else for ~6 months with one cat). You also have to be able to fit it in your bathroom, laundry room, or be good at DIY plumbing to set it up. The good news is that unlike other litters which absorb all that extra urine and become a cloggy, nasty mess, this litter box actually sanitizes and then flushes waste into the sewer system, just like a toilet. You can also easily turn it off if you want to collect some urine for a urine-test. Compared to the scoop-free automatic litterbox we'd been using before Jack got to be diabetic, we realized that because of the reduced litter cost, within 12 months it would pay for itself.

If the cost is prohibitive, you may want to poke around and see what other alternatives there are. The smartbox (?) is another non-absorbent litter box that I think people on the forum use, maybe someone can share their experiences as far as whether it makes keeping up with the pee more manageable.

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you need a playmate for Yuri, I have two adorable little kittens that need a good home. :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

13. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

He could be so hungry because he is going too low during each cycle. Five units of insulin twice a day is an awful lot, especially with this particular insulin which packs more of a punch than Lantus, levemir, or even Prozinc.

That may be all you need to do to make him feel better is to switch insulins. He is trying to tell you something when he begs like that. He is only seven years old. I hope you will consider making some changes for his sake.

You will have to try and make a commitment to testing him more often as well.

What Jennifer said here:

"It's a process and there's a learning curve, but post here daily for a few short weeks, ask questions, listen to the advice, change the insulin, feed smaller meals more often and things will fall into place. I urge you not to post and then disappear for a while and try this on your own. You've already done that and now you feel tired. Come here daily, ask, learn, test and things will turn around for you both."

Please listen to this advice and let us help you and your sweet Yuri.

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The others have given lots of good suggestions for you that will eliminate what is making things hard for you.

1. The insulin you are using is not good enough and your cat is on a roller coaster... up up up down down down. You give 2 shots a day, 12 hrs apart, but if the insulin is lasting only half way to the next shot, there is no way your cat will ever be regulated.
    So, by changing to a longer lasting insulin, you will be able to get your cat regulated ... easy peasy.
    I can say that Lantus and Levemir are great, but the others I have not used ... prozinc is supposed to be great as well and I think maybe a little more flexible with shot times but I don't know much about the specifics.

2. Dry food is kitty crack. No matter how little your cat eats, it may be more than enough to cause higher numbers. My Shadoe eats 3 pieces and I can tell; her numbers have gone into the 400s! It is evil and bad and needs to be tossed out. There was a fellow who was feeding dry foods and giving his cat 20u twice a day! He switched over to wet food and the cat's insulin needs also dropped like a stone to closer to 1u twice a day! It's scary how much the dry food affects some cats.
    If you want something to leave out, you can leave stuff like freeze dried chicken or something.

3. Food does not have to be expensive - many many people feed friskies and 9lives and fancy feast. I feed mostly friskies and I watch for the sales where I get a crap load when they go on sale for like 4cans for a $1.00. Oh yeah, I have tons of the stuff, so planning to buy on the sales and getting the OK but cheaper foods will be just fine.

4. Food quantity and hunger. I am positive that the hunger comes from non regulation. The body is not able to process the nutrients in the foods when not regulated so your cat is always hungry. Honest, once regulated, that hunger dies down. When I adopted Oliver, he weighed 15lb, looked like he had been starved, and so I just let him eat as much as he wanted until he was regulated. Most days, he was eating a minimum of 30oz a day - that's at least 5 of those 5.5oz cans of foods. I have never seen a cat, or even a dog, eat that much. Well, he's now regulated and if he eats even 2 of those cans, that's alot. For snacks he likes just raw chicken cut into strips. Nice and healthy and again, I watch for a chicken sale and bag the pieces and freeze them till needed.
    Once he's regulated, you will see a big drop in appetite.

5. Home testing. By testing, you will be able to see how well and also how poorly the insulin is working. And curves at the vet? That is totally not necessary if you are testing, so why pay your cash to the vet for something you can do yourself. Curves at the vet are useless anyways because stress will just mess up the numbers and they are just artificial. Test at home is easier on your cat; mine sleep through testing. If you did a curve now with the insulin you are giving, you would see that it's working working working, then pfffft, it runs outta gas and up the numbers go.

If you have ever had any pain meds or a bad headache, imagine if you had meds to take away the pain, but you can take the meds only every 12 hours. Now imagine if your pain returned after 7 hours ... how would you feel? You would want a med that is going to last close to 12 hours, right?

So, by removing all dry food, and feeding a cheaper but good food like friskies, and giving a longer lasting insulin (which would NOT be more expensive), you will find that you will have a happier cat who becomes regulated and so will eat less and will let you sleep at night.
    As for the smelly issue, well, whose poops smell like roses? Air fresheners and open windows.
    If you use clumping litter, you will be better able to judge when the urine quantity lessens, and that also happens when more regulated.

It all comes down to the regulation, and you need to change the insulin and remove the dry food.
    You will then begin to see changes quickly and so much for the better.
    Try it; you will see we are telling you what works.
    The next step after regulation is to get the pancreas and liver healed and reducing dose and then eventually off insulin altogether.
    It is possible for many cats, but only by adopting the changes that have been suggested.

15. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

As others have said, Novolin N isn't the best insulin for cats even if it is inexpensive. And 10 units of any insulin is too much for most diabetic cats. The dry food you are feeding is probably keeping your cat alive (high carb dry food counteracts insulin and prevents blood glucose levels from dropping too low).

There are ways to get a better insulin for less. Others have suggsted buying from online Canadian pharmacies and buying a box of pens or cartridges instead of a 10 ml bottle.

If you do start a new insulin, you'll need to start back at 1 unit twice a day and start back on daily blood glucose testing. Testing can be frustrating until you get the hang of it but it's essential to knowing how well the insulin and dose is working for your cat and it may even save your cat's life in the event of a hypo.

Methyl B can help. Getting the blood glucose levels better regulated will also help.

Are you feeding low carb canned food or just whatever canned you can get? Not all canned foods are suitable for diabetic cats. Many are too high in carbs which just keeps blood glucose levels high.

Wellness and Wellness CORE are good. Make sure to only feed the grain-free regular Wellness. The labels have a yellow grain-free triangle on them.

Science Diet is too high in carbs (well over the ideal 10% carbs) so don't feed that anymore.

Nutro/Natural Choice is also on the high side of carbs so don't feed that either.

The canned food charts are here: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html You want to feed foods that are under 10% carbs.

Use a timed feeder for the canned food. That way your cat can eat small frequent meals. That will keep him from meowing all the time for food. He's hungry because his blood glucose levels are out of whack and his body can't properly use nutrients the right way. Canned food won't go bad in a timed feeder. You can freeze the food into cubes first or use a timed feeder that has an ice pack feature.

Ditch the dry food as well but I suggest doing that very slowly since your cat is on 10 units of insulin. A diet change on such a large amount of insulin and no hometesting is recipie for a hypo.

The ears will learn to bleed more easily. Here are the hometesting tips: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

[/quote]

Yes. Follow the advice of this board to get your cat's blood glucose levels regulated :smile: It won't hurt to get a second vet opinion on your cat's diabetes as well.

There are members here who live in your area. They may be able to help you out with hometesting and such.

16. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Where are you located?

I don't have much more to add than what has been said by everyone else.

You sound like a very bright young woman. And yes you are certainly entitled to your free time and fun on your weekends. However - you have a YOUNG 7 year old playful kitty who you took in because you wanted to offer your love to a living being. I'm sorry if I come across somewhat grouchy but so many of us fight to take care of our cats here - and many of us face financial hardships here also. And many of us - regardless of our age - also have lives to live. IT CAN BE DONE. It seems tho everything people are offering you are you claim can't be done. You're wasting your money on a crappy insulin that your kitty has no chance at all at regulation thus you are facing all kinds of other problems because of that. And you aren't feeding your cat enough so he's crying and annoying your roommates. You blame this all on money - YET - if you fed him more - gave him a better quality insulin - got him feeling better due to both of these - he more than likely - quit crying, pee ALOT less, have less problems with smell in the bathroom, his legs would get stronger, and in general he would be acting like a healthy 7 year old cat should.

Or is it that you are just tired of caring for him period? Please be honest with yourself and with us so we can help? Again I apologize for being so blunt but lately we've had several requests from people with similar stories who really just don't want the cat anymore. This makes me horribly sad but what we don't want is seeing this poor kitty put down for no reason at all.

We WANT to help but we need to know what you are willing to do too.

17. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Have to say I agree with everyone else, especially Patti.
    Having an FD kitty does need some readjustment but with planning it doesn't have to stop party time.

Lucky travelled with me so I could keep my job. At times I'd come back half way through a night out to heck her and then go out again till the early hours but back in time for her am shot.
    You have to want to do this. There were times when I thought it was just so impossible and what about me, but now she's gone I miss her terribly and value all the extra time I did have with her.

Novolin N is a very poor insulin. Levemir is another option, like Lantus more up front but works out cheaper per month than the novolin. You want the 5 x3ml vials.
    Get the cheaper (but low carb) catfood and hometest. There's always a chance with a young cat you could get him diet controlled, right now your just getting by and it's not helping either of you.

Ultimately if you don't want him, try and see if anyone would adopt him from you. I'd consider it but I live in Europe.
    Good luck

18. Eva and Achilles

Eva and Achilles Member

Hi Diana

I empathize with your situation, although mine is a bit different. My cat was diagnosed about a month ago. I work very long hours - I am usually out of the home for 14 hours a day. I won't lie to you, adjusting has been difficult to say the least. But, geting Achilles on the path to health has been so incredibly rewarding, and I could not have done it without the help of the wonderful people on this board. I post daily, when things are going well and when I want to pull my hair out. I have always gotten the support I need from these fine folks. In one short month I have gone from being terrified and overwhelmed to feeling rewarded. It does get easier. And I never thought I would be the one to say that.

I agree with some recent posters. Please do yourself and Yuri a favor and truly figure out if you are willing to make a commitment to help him. If you are, and I hope you are, I would be happy to help you.

I think you said you live in Northern NJ. I live in NY. My cat Achilles is on Lantus for less than a month and he has been doing remarkably on it (fingers crossed that he will continue to do so). Try making some changes in small steps so that you don't feel overwhelmed. If you are willing to switch Yuri to Lantus and get him on an all wet food low carb diet using inexpensive brands like friskies or fancy feast I think you will see some pretty immediate changes. An automatic feeder will do wonders too. I picked one up at Amazon for less than $40 and it has been a life saver.

If you want to do this, please PM me and we can discuss the particulars. And please continue to post on these boards.

19. Diana and Yuri

Hello all,

Thank you for your input. And Patti - thank your for gleaning exactly what I meant when I asked "are there other options" - I should have been more clear. It was 5:00 in the morning, after not sleeping all night that I wrote that post, and my intentions and realizations clearly were not made clear, my apologies to all for seeming to beat around the bush. And I realize you are not trying to be rude. I know that everyone on this board has adjusted and made changes to take care of the animal that they are responsible for - I am part of this group as well, for over a year I have adjusted, I have kept him as happy and well as I could, but I am finally coming to the realization (the DIFFICULT, not cop out, realization) that I am not financially or physically capable of taking care of Yuri anymore. I bought Yuri when I was 16 years old, a decision that I realize in hindsight was extremely irresponsible and should not have happened. However, it did, and that is all there is to say about that. He is an extremely happy cat at hear, and he has lived an EXCELLENT, fulfilled, happy life with me up until now. I do not WANT to put Yuri to sleep, this issue has weighed on me for months and I clearly have not taken that step because I needed to come to grips with the fact that despite valuing and honoring my responsibilities in life, this is one that I no longer can handle, being in the situation I am currently in.

I know that all with sugarbabies realize that the other people in your household are affected by this conditions as well, and I as I've mentioned, I lived with three other people who are dealing with this by default - this is a MAJOR factor in my inability to keep him in the house, and I think it a valid reason for having reached my conclusion that I need to find a way to surrender him to someone else (something that I honestly didn't know would be a possibility considering his condition).

I have looked into adoption possibilities in the past several months and have been discouraged at finding none that would take him in. I am calling someone on Thursday who is located in RI to see if she has any input, and I plan to continue my search in NJ. If anyone has any input at all as to places where I should inquire, I would deeply appreciate it.

I love Yuri more than I can explain, and seeing him like this for the past year has been extremely difficult for me, and it is incredibly hard for me to give him up. I have legitimately done the best that I could from the beginning, including inquiring at the pharmacy and vets about which insulin to use, following the food chart, doing home testing for months, finding kitty sitters everytime he needed a shot that I could not give, trying every litter combo possible, and yet here I am - ashamed and discouraged and completely upset by the fact that I will be losing Yuri. I am sorry that I didn't get in touch with the board here sooner, but I really have been trying and hope that this is clear.

Any advice on adoption would be appreciated. Thank you so much! confused_cat

20. tuckers mom

"I love Yuri more than I can explain" - - I don't think so.

"I am part of this group as well, for over a year I have adjusted, I have kept him as happy and well as I could" - - again, I don't think so.

"ashamed and discouraged and completely upset by the fact that I will be losing Yuri" -- maybe the first part.

I know I'm not being supportive right now, but I can promise you that if you take a moment and really read what everyone has said you will find that we can help you. Treating FD can be simple, your roommates don't have to be bothered any longer if you simply, easily, just take a short time and let us teach you how to take care of Yuri.

If you were to take the time to let us help you learn about FD you might actually get Yuri off insulin completely. You have not taken the time to learn, you have merely gone through the motions. You may have adjusted your life as you say, but giving shots blind is in no way treating FD correctly or in a fashion that could ever lead to regulation or remission.

Finding a rescue that will take in an FD is nearly impossible. There are so many homeless pets and that number keeps growing by the day due to the economy, that a rescue taking in an FD that may never get adopted is simply not fiscally responsible.

This issue may have been weighing on you for months, but I can't help but wonder how you will feel years down the road knowing deep down that you did not do everything you could for Yuri and there was a large number of people, practically experts in feline diabetes, that were willing to help you, that wanted to help you and that would have given up their own free time to help you.

I urge you to think about this, think about Yuri and how we have told you that we can help you and that it's really not that hard, then make an informed decision, one that you will have to live with.

21. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

You say you've been here a year but you are using an older-type insulin and feeding the wrong food. So you've been here but not been reading.

If you love Yuri more than you can explain, do you think you might be able to try the treatments suggested in this thread? We have all been shocked with having to reschedule our lives and being young and wanting to enjoy a weekend is no different from needing to look after an ailing mother or having a job where you travel 4 days a week. Well except that those are "have tos".

For what are you looking by starting this thread? Be honest with yourself and us.

You have received a tremendous amount of excellent information and if you tried some of that, you may be able to get your cat a bit more regulated.

As for the screaming at night... leave frozen wet food out for him to eat through the night. It works wonders.

22. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what to say to this whole thread ... There is a possibility of yuri getting regulated once he's on a better insulin and possibly even OTJ. Then there is the possibility that he won't ever get regulated. Mocha's been unregulated for the last year and a half and in all honesty, probably will never be regulated. yes, there are days me and peter feel like giving up, but we don't. This is what we chose to do. We didn't choose to have a diabetic cat, but we CHOSE to take care of her. Not for 1 month, 1 year or 10 years. However long we have with her, is however long we will take care of her. It is what it is because the situation presented itself to us and we weren't going to walk away from it. Yes, we gave up going out with friends at shot time and yes, we gave up having a few extra bucks each month for a dinner out or going to the movies. We did give those up and I won't lie, sometimes I get really, really frustrated over it. But then I look at mocha, sprawled out, belly exposed, tongue hanging out of mouth (no front teeth after her dental!) and I can't help but to crack up laughing. And when I'm laughing at her or playing with her, laying with her or kissing her, those moments of frustration over things like not being able to go camping or on vacation right now are a million miles away ....

23. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

This board was established to help people who genuinely value their cats. It is not a dumping ground for those who have become tired of caring for the helpless little animals that depend on them.
    Prayers for Yuri.

24. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

OK, I'll admit it...I'm stumped.

Diana, you posted here asking for help and identifying for us the issues that were causing you to consider having Yuri PTS. You said you wanted options, and you got them. As far as the financial aspect, you were told about low-carb food that could be purchased for a fraction of what you are currently paying. You asked about Yuri's behavior and were told his constant hungar and peeing were because he was unregulated, and that changing his food (to the far less expensive brands) and changing his insulin would likely resolve those problems.

Let me put it to you bluntly: The cat you say you love is behaving in the manner you complain about because he has unregulated diabetes, and if you aren't willing to give some of the suggestions provided to you in this thread a fair chance to work, then you really AREN'T trying. Moreover, you say you've checked into adoption possibilities - if that is true, then you know the likelihood of that working out well for Yuri is pretty much nil. Doesn't Yuri deserve better?

25. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Diana, I get that you're exhausted and at the end of your rope and can't see a way out.

The bottom line is that you can fix this. Relatively easily. Relatively cheaply. Do you want to?

I am offering my assistance. The ball is in your court.

26. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for you both. Diana you're the only mama this llittle kitty knows. Please consider the help offered.
    j.

27. Diana and Yuri

I think communication through these forums is extremely valuable, and I DO appreciate everyone's advice, but I think there is a human element missing - if we were speaking in person, would you be so quick to jump to these judgements? I am posting my honest feelings - because I have reached a point of confusion and frustration does not mean that I am unwilling to try options - the fact that I posted here shows that. I am so disappointed right now writing this that you have all so quickly jumped to the conclusion that I don't love or care about Yuri, that I am trying to dump him, and that I have no tried up until now. I am happy to discontinue this post if people are offended by it (absolutely not my intention), or don't believe my sincerity. I'm sorry that it has turned into this.

I am not coming here to dump my cat. I was under the impression that I would not be jumped on for being honest about my circumstances and feelings - I'm not in the car bringing Yuri to the vet to be put down right now, and I'm not saying I will not take the actions that have been recommended - if you look at my first response I was trying to expand on the thoughts I had been having, explaining that I had considered those options and if you read rather than judge, I said I would try to figure out switching to one of the other insulin's recommended, and I stated my appreciation for the advice. And as much of a help as this is, half of the posts say it is OK to feed him Friskies, and half say expensive brands like Wellness are the only way to go - which is "right"?

I did do research on adoption and did find that there were next to no options. I thought this would be the place that people would be aware of potential options, I'm sorry if I misunderstood this! :oops: And while I completely admire everyone's compassion and commitment to their pets, I have reached a point where I know I need to find someone who is more capable than I am to take care of him and offer him a place to live out the rest of his life.

I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to cause all of this tension and anger, I know that none of you know me or my situation or Yuri personally, so me saying that I am a good person who truly loves her cat and was genuinely trying to reach out in a time of complete discouragement feels like it will mean nothing - but it really is the truth! I really hope that people accept this, and again, I will close the post if you think this is not the forum that I should be discussing this in. I didn't mean any harm, I didn't know where else to go.

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I was concerned Diana with the harsh comments, but I think the posters are being pretty realistic. We have seen, time after time, that there are no real options for diabetic cats other than having their owners care for them, or having them put to sleep. Very few shelters will take a diabetic cat because they are not very adoptable. Most people want a healthy cat, and there are plenty to choose from.

We really would like to help you, but the best way we know how is to give you our plan for caring for Yuri. As others have said, diet makes a huge difference. Changing your insulin will make a huge difference. But neither of those options should be considered until you are hometesting, because diet and a better insulin can drastically change the amount of insulin needed, and you have to be on top of the numbers. If you want help, we are happy to give it. Maybe someone lives nearby, and if you want, they can come help you with the hometesting.

We have helped others who have great challenges, mentally and physically and financially, care for their diabetic cat. We can help you. It is very doable, and your Yuri could have many more happy years with you.

29. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I am shocked by this whole thread....I understand the frustration in caring for a sick kitty. I remember the sleepless nights when she was first diagnosed with diabetes, all the tears, all the what ifs and am I doing the right thing?

But you know what? I did the right thing, I cared for her. She was given to me as a gift and I couldn't let her down. I followed the suggestions given to me by people here....and believe me, the costs and the amount of time needed to care for her, seemed overwhelming....but it turned out not to be so bad. She eats low carb Fancy Feast..... $0.50/can.....so about $30/month....the amount of time, once we got a routine down, was minimal. It's a choice you make......sure I may have to skip eating out or not buying the fabulous new outfit, because Zoe needs something, but I wouldn't change it for a million bucks.

When you get a pet, you accept full responsibility for that pet....and that means caring for them when they are ill. They are not disposable....they are living, loving creatures that depend us.

So please take some time and consider the options/suggestions given and think about how you will feel in a few years, if you don't do the best you can for Yuri.

30. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Speaking for myself, I feel I'm getting mixed messages. By reading your first post, I thought you wanted to help Yuri and keep him. Your second post says you want to give him up. I don't know which it is, but I hope it is the former.

You absolutely CAN feed Yuri low-carb Friskies and Fancy Feast. Did you check the link up thread for Janet and Binky's food chart? The brand of food does not matter...the fact it is low-carb is what you need to be concerned with. Are you willing to give a longer-acting insulin (Lantus or Lev) a try? If so, you will need to contact your vet for script. You will also need to get U100 syringes, if you don't already have them.

You will need to hometest. Changing both Yuri's food and his insulin will have an impact on his BG levels. If you are having trouble hometesting, perhaps someone here can help you or you can try an alternative site (paw pads). At this point, it is far less important where you test as it is that you test.

So, if you want to keep Yuri and get him regulated (thus likely ending the problems you've been having), you need to say that. If you intend to give him up...well, you know the likely outcome of that.

Here is a link to the food chart: http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm

31. Victoria & Sundance

Diana, I think you could learn a lot in this thread... about how you feel for Yuri and yourself.

Seriously, tell us what you want from this thread. Do you want a new caregiver for Yuri? Is that your first choice? If it is, think about why you don't want to try the other options for food, insulin and home testing.

You have come here for help. You have been offered a ton of advice and help but you are not happy about being jumped on. How did you think people would react to you when they have spent more time, more money, more tears on not only their own cats but on helping others, like you, be able to treat and keep their cats?

All of us who are writing have been in your shoes but have taken responsibility for those in our care.

I was shocked and could not believe how my life was going to be turned upside down when I found out Sundance was diabetic. Then I found this site. Then I found out who I really was and of what I really was capable.

You do right by Yuri and you'll be doing right by you too. You won't ever regret giving this another chance. You will be able to walk tall and proud and know that you've done something quite special. It will change your life for the better. It really will.

Good luck.

32. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Diana-

On several occasions, you have said that you are at your wits end and are considering having Yuri put down. It's unfathomable. Essentially, what it boils down to is that he has become a nuisance. We were all in our 20s at some point...we get that you want your freedom. But you took responsibility for a life and if FEELS (reads) like you are easily willing to throw that life away. I lost my girl 3 weeks ago. I treated her diabetes for 2 years. When I switched her to Lantus, she was nearly regulated enough to go OTJ (no more insulin) within 3 weeks. This doesn't happen for every cat, but it happened for us. Unfortunately, I lost her to cancer. I paid thousands for her care, and I did NOT have that money to spend, but I would GLADLY be spending more right now if she could still be here with me. My credit cards are maxed, but I could never have walked away from her just because she was sick. THIS is what people are responding to. We are all offering to help you.

You've been offered many reasonable solutions, but have not once said, "Great, I'll try that! Seems like that will solve my problems." You simple continue to say that you cannot do it anymore. Honestly, Yuri deserves someone who loves him more than life. That's how he loves you. You may feel that we are being harsh, but it's heartbreaking to think of the consequences for him....because it's hard, and he no longer fits into your life. Life IS hard. I would jump through hoops of fire right now to have Harley back...

Please remember this experience next time you think about bringing an animal into your home...for better or worse, you are accepting responsibility for the life of a beatiful and loving creature...animals are not disposable.

s

33. tuckers mom

We want to help you, but like Jana said, I felt mixed messages too. Like Vic is saying we have spent more time, money and tears on our cats and cats who belong to people we may never meet.

We can help you and we would do it happily. I think if you gave yourself, Yuri and the knowledge you can learn from this board a chance you'd be proud of what you can accomplish and may suprise yourself and your roommates.

Friskies, Fancy Feast, 9lives are fine. Just choose the lower carb versions, not the gravy stuff. If you have a Walmart nearby, the Relion meter is great and the test strips are affordable.

Treating FD will change your life, but it doesn't haven't to alter things so much that you can't have friends outside of your cat.

34. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Ouch! I know that's what you are saying while you are reading these responses!

Go back and re-read the entire thread. You started this thread asking if there are other options to putting Yuri to sleep. Many people have responded, taken time to write long, detailed reponses spelling out those options to you, but you are not interested in trying any of them, except "maybe" trying lantus. Have you taken any steps in that direction? Have you called your vet and asked for a prescription, or done any research to look for what you need to do to order the lantus? Be honest, with yourself and us. You started out "looking for options", but then when the options are explained to you, you give excuses for not taking those options and say you want to find him a new home. It looks like you are not interested in doing right by Yuri. It looks like Yuri is a nuisance to you, as another poster said, and you just want to be rid of him. This site is dedicated to helping people take good care of their diabetic cats, we work hard at it and it appears that you are not willing to put any effort into your cat's care. Yuri deserves more from you.

Personally, I am happy to post information and my experiences to help those who are looking for help. I am not interested in arguing with someone who doesn't want to listen to what I am saying. If you want help, it's here for the asking. We can't help you if you refuse to try what we suggest....and honestly, I don't have time to waste on someone who is just looking for an easy way out....if that is not what you are looking for, then please try what has been suggested to you.

You do NOT need to feed Wellness. I have not seen anywhere on this site the statement that you MUST feed Wellness. There is a range of foods that are perfectly acceptable options. Look at my signature, I feed Special Kitty....Walmart brand....very, very inexpensive, about $0.32/5.5oz can...even cheaper than Friskies or 9 Lives! My cat is doing GREAT on that food. Is it the "best" diet? Of course not, but it's what works for us. Look at J&Bs list, there are plenty of reasonably priced foods.

35. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I just want to say that I feed mocha wal mart brand special kitty turkey and giblets which she loves. I get a four pack of 5.5oz can's for $1.34.

36. Diana and Yuri

Thank you all for your advice, I'm sorry that this spiraled into such a disaster. As I admitted, I adopted Yuri when I was 16, too young to take on the responsibility and too young to realize that, and of course will consider everything that has happened when ever considering adopting another pet. I will try switching Yuri to another insulin, and continue looking for adoption possibilities in the meantime. If anyone has any information on that front, do contact me, and if this is not the place to look for that advice, then apologies again.

37. tuckers mom

Do you want help regarding the insulin change?

38. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

To be honest, I'm still not sure if you are keeping Yuri or letting him go, but that is beside the point now...

If you are going to change Yuri's insulin, you MUST hometest. Do you need help with that or are you OK? If pricking an ear is a problem, then use a paw pad...either way, PLEASE hometest as both Lantus and Lev work very differently from what you have been using.

39. Diana and Yuri

To be clearer: I will be switching his insulin and will also be searching for a home. I have the Relion meter and strips and will be resuming home testing as I was doing for the first 9 months. I'll refer back to earlier thread posts for Insulin advice. Thanks for offering your help and advice.

40. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Good! Also, once you get the script from the vet, you may want to check back here. Sometimes folks have been told to start at a pretty high dose (apparently by weight) that was not only unnecessary but dangerous. Also, if the up front cost of Lantus or Lev is an issue, try posting in the Supply Closet forum...someone may be willing to split a box of pens with you.

In the meantime, stock up on cheap low-carb cat food...he's crying all the time because he is starving. Until he is regulated, he needs this food AND it will stop all the crying all the time (a double bonus!).

41. Victoria & Sundance

You will have better luck finding him a new home once he is better regulated. Why not give yourself 6 weeks of testing before each shot, a new insulin and proper low carb wet foods. You might find that once he's regulated better, he's not as much of a problem and you may be able to keep him... at the very least though, you'll be proud of yourself for doing it and you'll have a better chance at rehoming him.

With respect to the food, you can freeze it in 2 oz servings and leave it out frozen so that he eats it slower.

42. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Diana,
    Addressing your last point, I have sadly had to have three of my beloved pets euthanized. While the procedure has varied in terms of how peaceful it was, I am haunted by memories of their last moments. These were all pets (two cats and a dog) in the last days of terminal illnesses, but even then I have regrets and second thoughts. The little cry as the needle went in, the trusting face. I hope you are able to find another way out of your situation, as I think that one day, after your life has calmed down, you may come to regret having put Yuri to sleep. I don't think of a young, unregulated diabetic cat as a sick cat. There are so many happy and healthy cats here, in various stages of regulation. My cat has a few other serious conditions, and I am pushing my physical and financial limitations caring for him. My friends and family are saying the same thing yours are. I know, however, that the day he is gone, I will wish I could have just one more sleepless night with him. You have seen how passionate the people here are about caring for diabetic cats. We all make some sacrifices, but we have all seen how worthwhile it is. Yuri has been your faithful friend. I hope you are able to find some solutions that work for both of you. Maybe you can tackle one problem at a time. Despite the vehemence you have come across here, people will help you with insulin dosages, etc, if you decide to keep working through the problems. I don't know what you are going through in your life right now, but I have been 23 and facing tough decisions, as you are. I want you to make decisions you will be able to live with down the road.

One other point, about melatonin: I have never heard of it being used as a sleep aid for cats. I think that playing with him at bedtime, followed by putting him in a quiet room with a snack or two will be your best bet.

Good luck to you and Yuri. I hope that I may one day read that he is still with you and doing well. That is what we all hope for you.

43. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

I think your hoping for the adoption route Diana.

You could try posting in community to see if there is anyone near you that would be interested in taking Yuri.

I hoped I wouldn't have to give insulin because Lucky was such a fractious kitty. Add to that we live in Germany and I barely spoke German, but I did persevere and like I said in my previous post there were times I wanted to give up, even resented things I had to give up.

But, as time went on I was fascinated by FD, I wanted to understand as much as I could about it.

The relationship I formed with Lucky is like nothing else I can describe.
    Next week it will be a year since I lost her and I miss her every day. You might think we're all crackpots on here, we're not, just people willing to go that extra mile. Because I've learnt so much about FD (including the older less effective insulins like vetsulin) I've stayed around and paid forward what I have learned. It helps me, I don't have to, I want to and there aren't many people who know so much about the less effective insulins.

If you could just give your self another month, change the food, insulin and hometest-then if you think you still can't do it, you will have given it your best shot.

I hope you can understand pretty much everyone here has made sacrifices to treat and care for their cats so it's hard to read your posts and not share their feelings.Your not alone, there are others who come here and seem to make an effort only to leave the board and not post again.
    I wish you luck in what ever you decide.

And remember because he's 7 he may have a chance of becoming diet controlled, no promises, but you won't know unless you can give it a shot.

44. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i'll address this too. personally, and in my own experience as i know things have not gone as smoothly for some other animals put in this situation, the actual procedure is nothing. i've lost 3 in the last 13 or so months, one went on her own after being my best friend for 18 years. the other two i had to help because of real, serious, very complicated & debilitating illnesses. (fwiw, diabetes is absolutely nothing compared to dealing with cancer, pancreatitis, IBD, etc....and anyone should be relieved to get as simple of a diagnosis for their animal as diabetes is plain and simple if you want my opinion)

what is hard about killing your own animal is that, you are killing your own pet, your little buddy, your confidante, and to some, your child. it may sting to think of it that way but that is what it is. yes, you are taking away their pain, their hurt, their suffering. and that is right. it's the right thing to do, in alot of situations. but i can tell you with 100% certainty that your heart doesn't know that. your mind doesn't know that. and those two things can torture you for the next several weeks or months like you wouldn't believe. they slip in and take over your body without warning and no regard to what you are doing at the moment. you weep in public like you've never in your life done. your chest hurts and you have to wonder if it is guilt from making that decision too soon? or maybe this time you're having a heart attack because that sudden wrack of pain in your chest hurts that bad. you out of the blue feel like vomiting or you have trouble catching your breath because someone asks you about your cat or you see one sitting on the hillside watching you as you turn onto your street to go home.

it's been two weeks since i made that decision the last time and this is what i am going thru still, today. and i know it's going to continue for several weeks more because from experience after doing the same thing at 2a.m. in the morning the day after christmas last year, i've been thru it before.

my advice regarding that part of your questions.......give very very serious, uncluttered, unfrazzled thought to that decision if you decide to go down that road. it is a very big decision that will live with you for a long time.

45. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Diana-

Even though some very strong emotions have been expressed, please know that every single one of us is willing to help you every step of the way if you are willing to try. Until that last post, I don't think we were hearing from you that you were willing to try....if you are, PLEASE stick around here for help. There is an amazing amount of knowledge on this board, and there is no need for you to have to navigate the diabetes on your own. If you are willing to try, we will help you on a daily basis! I hope you are hearing that as the overriding message...you don't have to give up. Diabetes in not a terminal illness, and with a few changes, may be easily managed.

Best of luck to you both.

s

46. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Diana I'm thinking the "options" you were looking for were some of us feeling sorry for you and more importantly Yuri and offering to take your baby and give him the home you know will give him love. At least you love Yuri enough to want that for him.

Obviously there are a lot of passionate people here. BUT We are a loving bunch we are like a big family connected by the same force.

Yuri has been ther for you all this time. That is rare these days, are you sure you want to end that by giving him to a stranger?

Again my prayers are with you AND Yuri at this difficult time.
    Jeanne

47. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Diana, you seem to already understand a lot of what is involved in caring for a kitty with diabetes. I hope and pray that you will try some of the changes mentioned in these threads before making any life-changing decisions that are irreversible. Yuri is young and active - those are two things in his favor for sure. You understand the basics. With an insulin change and diet change you could see big differences quickly.

48. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

Diana,
    Sending encouragement out to you as you deal with this and hoping you can see your way to give some of these changes a chance to make things better. It can get better. My cats initial diagnosis was a nightmare and came on the heels of a cancer diagnosis for my other cat who has since GA. The money is very scary...particularly in these times, but the changes suggested can help. The constraints on your time are a real thing to consider...but they too can be planned around..and don't require you giving up time with friends.
    The giant wad of need that is an unregulated cat is overwhelming. My cat is very vocal anyway, and has never been very good at grazing and kept me up at much the same hours, but all of the sudden it started to get better. I was going through unimaginable boxes of litter...and its all very expensive....and grose, and messy....but that too, began to get better.
    I know how tiring it can be.....but it does improve. Please give it a chance.

49. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

50. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

An insulin change can do a lot sometimes. I switched Oscar to Lantus about 2 months ago and we are now seeing better numbers than we have ever seen before, and on a consistent basis at that! His food intake has dropped considerably, his peeing is back to normal, and he acts like a normal kitty! Getting the right insulin is just as important as any other step in diabetes management. With the right food, insulin, and monitoring, you could have the possibility of getting your kitty off insulin in no time and getting your social life back :D

51. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

I may be the only one here being pessimistic but personally - I think everyone here is trying to get Diana to keep Yuri but the real truth is.....

Diana please correct me if I wrong - WHEN I read YOUR last post - I read resignation - not enthusiasm to try these options everyone is trying to get you to do. I am strongly feeling that truthfully you want to give Yuri up.

So if everyone wants to truly help - maybe we all need to try to see if anyone wants to adopt Yuri - that is what Diana really wants. We need to recognize this and realize that not everyone can face up to owning a diabetic cat for his/her lifetime. That's just the way life is. Unfortunately........

So Diana - maybe you need to notify Venita who runs Diabetic cats in need here on the board AND post on community and make another post here on health but title it differently and word your post differently too so that we can get the word out better. Also put a link to this post so people won't go to great extents trying to educate someone who doesn't need it.

I wish Yuri the best of luck! And as awful as this sounds - I soooo hope that in the future should you ever decide to adopt another animal at any age or ever decide to have a child - as this is the same responsibility - you think this all thru more clearly - neither are throw away beings. You can make the remark/excuse that you got Yuri at 16 yrs old but you are not 16 now. You are an adult now who really should be making contributions to society and life in general.

52. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

you can still go out and have your good time. all we're talking here is really around $20 a month more between test strips (contours $30 for 100 on ebay all the time) and insulin. otherwise we're talking the same food and vet costs as we have for any pet cat. what is it, 5 min a day to test and shoot, all together? what an imposition.

please understand that we ALL freak at first about feline diabetes. but there are cheap ways to show loyalty/responsibility to your pet while still enjoying your life. you have plenty such tips on this thread alone. i really have no sympathy for someone looking to dump her sick pet on other people. unrealistic to think that people who don't even know your pet and never raised him would take on the responsibility you're looking to duck. when my cat was diagnosed and at death's door, i never once thought of dumping her on someone else. i was scared and feeling sorry for myself and terrified i'd lose her and of the potential work treating diabetes could involve (before i learned how relatively easy it is), but never in a million years did i ever think of just throwing my kitty away, which is what this amounts to. you are an adult now. part of being an adult is not expecting someone to swoop in and take over our problems. we "man up", and we deal with them.

53. Victoria & Sundance

Well, this all reminds me of my cat, Muph. I had her before Sundance. We got Muph when I was 13 years old and when I was 18 years old I was kicked out of my house and told I had to take the cat because she would not cuddle with anyone else but me. So for the next 7 years I had sole responsibility for Muph... She did not get sick but I did have to rehome her when she was 14-years-old because I was moving out of the country. I found her a great home and moved. I came back 3 months later but she was settled and I could not ask for her back. :( That was in 1994.

All I can say is that though that path led me to my best friend ever, Sundance, and though Sundance got FD and eventually died in my arms of pancreatic cancer, the fact that I rehomed Muph and wasn't there with her for her senior years kills me to this day. It breaks my heart and it is one of very few regrets I have in life. That said, the weight of that decision is likely part of why I grew into the person I am who took Sundance's diagnosis on the chin and pushed through it.

I only share all this with you because the pang I feel for rehoming Muph is much different from, and sometimes much worse than, the memory of having Sundance set free.

54. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Wow, what a response this thread has had. And rightly so. We all care about you and Yuri.

I just wanted to reiterate that when you do get the new insulin, whether it be Lantus, Levemir or one of the PZI's, please consider starting over at one unit and testing before each shot. And then post here and ask for further assistance.

Everyone is here to help.

55. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

I don't disagree, but I am torn: I'm not sure Diana will keep Yuri, even if all the problems she identified are resolved (it doesn't sound like it from her last post); however, as Victoria said, it will be easier ("easier" being a relative term) to rehome Yuri if he is regulated. My hope is that, once Yuri is regulated, Diana will see all the problems resolved and learn that she can have a life that includes Yuri and time for other activities as well. Hopefully, as she looks around the board, she will see people her own age and single, people will full-time jobs AND full-time families, and people that have taken on cats with medical problems that are much more difficult than diabetes, and see that it is not impossible to manage all of these things at the same time, if you really want to. On the other hand, if Diana has truly decided she doesn't want to manage her life and Yuri and his diabetes at the same time, then I hope she still makes ever effort to get him regulated. Not only is that the most humane thing for Yuri, but it increases the likelihood she'll be able to rehome him with people who can simply continue his diabetic care.

56. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I'm not a regular visitor to this forum but have been hanging out here a bit recently because I'm so worried about my 17-year-old civvie Sophie, who is having surgery next week. I'm freaking out over it but coming here helps me feel I'm in the company of people who understand and care. So that's the first thing I would say - whatever people are saying in this thread, harsh or otherwise, it's because they care. This board is an amazing place and its members put forward a range of thoughts and suggestions for the OPs to deal with in the way that suits them, personally, best.

Diana - I'm a Diana too, but twice your age and in the UK - you have to think long and hard about what's right for you and Yuri as a loving team. I'm sure you want what's best for him, and what's best for you, too. Are they one and the same thing, and can you then work out a plan to improve the situation, or are your goals different? Do you want to be free from this responsibility? Does Yuri love you as most of our kitties here love us, or do you think he would be happier with another bean who can give him what you can't at the moment?

I've only skimmed through some of the other posts here, but I think people are saying that you need a plan of action. Try a different insulin, feeding and testing regime, whatever you can do, and give it a period of time to work, with the aim of you feeling less overwhelmed and Yuri a happier, healthier kitty. If at the end of that time things are still not good, then consider your other options - adoption, etc. At the moment, if you are saying you feel adoption is best, you may not be thinking clearly and if you go down that route you might live to regret it.

Try writing things down, long-hand. A list of practical steps you can take. Write about your emotions, about how much you love Yuri, about your hopes and plans - anything and everything to do with this situation. The act of writing will help you to think more clearly, which is the first step to helping you to move forward and create a more positive outcome for both you and Yuri - the right outcome for you both.

I wish you well.

Diana

57. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Dear Diana and of course the Yuri Bunny....

I well remember what a crazy and challenging time 23 , room mates, starting your career, university, putting $10.00 in my car for a week and hoping it would last....was and I know that having a cat with diabetes would easilly have pushed me over the edge. You are in the right place for that support here.

Can we help you to connect with organizations who may be able to foster and ultimately rehome your cat?
    I am thinking of diabetic cats in need through venita here, perhaps private message Venita and see what is possible.

I know it is awful to consider giving up your friend, but I hope we all try to support you.
    There have been quite a few cats needing rehoming lately, and I think the board is feeling sad, overwhelmed and frustrated that we can't do more when along comes another, so empathy for their perspective is important as well.

Meanwhile.......their is this kitty in your hands, a lack of sleep happening for you and time to manage until a solution can be found.

200 preshots and lows of 100 sound like a pretty well balanced cat and I am wondering if perhaps something like hyperthyroid might explain some of the other crying, eating drinking?
    It is not usual in a cat of 7, but I have a hyper T kitty and it sure sounds a lot like what you are describing. An inexpensive blood test would rule that out for you, or diagnose it, and an inexpensive pill is a solution that works miracles.
    I give Flame a pill in the am and pm, crumbled on her food and she went from screaming all the time, yowling through the night, and peeing and drinking more...to be her silly self again in about 5 weeks.

Just a though, while we are all reacting to the future needs, perhaps there is something that is solvable in the short term.

((((((hugs))))) you are not alone and we all speak from a place of passion and love for our kitties, even if it comes out blunt sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.