? Running outa patience with Magellan!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia Rae, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I don't know what is going on with this boy! He has no infection.. the vet confirmed so why the heck is he spraying the neighbors screen door and door??? That and peeing on his rug in front of his apt???? :blackeye: :facepalm: :stop: :confused: :mad: . I have used natures miracle and he still mistreats it??? can someone explain wtf because if Steve gets angry enough he can/ may tell management. I will have to either move or find a new home for him neither I want so some advise is needed PLEASE!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For inappropriate elimination, always go to the vet and rule out any medical problems. This includes an x-ray to identify any stones or other masses.

Here is a list I compiled previously. Some of the items may not apply.
    You might try an integrated approach using multiple options from the list below on a consistent basis:

* start with crating, using a medium large crate (30" long is big enough for cat and a litter box) until progress. She probably won't go where she'd have to lie in it ... but if she does, something is wrong and it may be medical.

* tarps and newspapers may be easier on clean up if you don't crate her

* feeding on a schedule and then placing her in the litterbox (maybe in a crate) within 15-20 minutes after eating, until she goes, then praising and letting her out.

* Feliway/Comfort Zone - friendly facial pheromones which reduce stress and may reduce marking behavior. Cheapest prices are usually on the net (ex http://www.LambertVetSupply.com ) I've used it and it helps.

* Cat Attract litter - supposed to help attract cat to litter box

* rule out arthritis or constipation - pain causes box avoidance

* watch if the other cats ever attack her in the box and if so, you may need to keep her separated from them. I've got one the others attack, completely unprovoked.

* litter box should be 1.5 times length of cat, litter cleaned frequently, but avoid really strong smelling cleaners as cats may avoid them due to the scent.

* you've got to get residual odors out from areas which were 'nailed'. If you don't get those spots thoroughly cleaned, any residual odor may trigger using the spot again. Enzyme based products such as Nature's Miracle, are the most likely to have success. Carpet may need to be rolled back and treated on the back side, plus treating the pad separately (or replacing the pad). It can require repeated applications.

* regular play sessions of about 15 minutes to reduce stress and promote bond with you

* reward desirable behaviors - if you see her use the box, praise and treat her

* put unpleasant textures in places she has peed to encourage avoidance

* read some of this author's books: http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/ she's pretty good - ex "Starting from Scratch"

3. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

This sounds like marking more so than anything else.

Is Magellan neutered? Is this an outdoor situation or in a building hallway? If he is not neutered and this is occurring in either an apartment hallway or outside, I would suspect there could be a stray tom marking and Magellan is trying to counter that (mine began marking when a neighbor got an unsprayed female and let her roam the hall). or a female in heat is wandering nearby.

4. Julia Rae

Yes he is neutered and it is an outside walkway/patio. The only 3 cats that I know of are all spayed/neutered and we are on the 6 floor. So right now I have them locked behind my screen door so that he cannot wander or get into mischief though it is not fair to Artemis... Would the neutered tom do that if a spayed female went into heat???? because we have had a few new people move onto the floor??? :oops: :( :confused:

5. MarcieK

MarcieK New Member

My cat Pedro started spraying a couple of years ago due to stress. I worked closely with my vet to find a solution. First, we tried buspar (it did not work), we tried a second prescription (name escapes me) and finally tried valium. The valium worked and the spraying stopped. Along with the valium I also give Pedro 0.20 ml of Rescue Remedy once daily. Until I was able get him to stop spraying I covered all surfaces (furniture, walls, etc) with incontinence pads. If he urinated on these I could quickly throw them away and replace them. I also tried offering Pedro different litters just in case it was a texture issue. Not sure if any of this will help you but I understand your stress and frustration. Keep us posted!

6. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

The neutered males can get a little hormonal still if there is a female in heat nearby or another tom nearby. I'd check with the neighbors area where he's been marking and see if they have an unspayed cat. The older a male was neutered, the more likely this sort of behavior becomes throughout their life. If he's doing this and is an indoor/outdoor cat, it's best to keep him inside and let those hormones settle down. Also, hormonal male cats can get into fights with strays/females, so safety is another concern if he has access to other cats.

Check with your vet and rule out bladder stones. Sometimes cats with stones will urinate in odd places and it maybe mistaken for marking.

We had a lot of success with the Cat Attract litter and setting up gates in the house when our cat Jane was peeing on rugs almost daily. The Cat Attract helped almost immediately.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Julia Rae

Yes I will keep all up to date BF is going to get comfort zone and natures miracle will see if he will also get the cat attract too...

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Female in heat smell can travel a LONG way in the air - she may be 2 floors below you. Sounds like a Tom's marking war. Doesn't sound like he's really peeing for the proper purpose. :)

9. Julia Rae

Yes but the trick is.. in getting him to stop this action right now he is under house arrest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.