S Boulardii In UK

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cherish4, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Hi everyone. So my poor diabetic boy is suffering yet another bout of loose stools and as pumpkin wasn't helping any more, it was recommened to me to try Slippery Elm Bark and maybe some of the S Boulardii probiotic.

Well I've bought some Tree Bark Powder from Dorwest Herbs (Slippery Elm Powder with a small amount of White Poplar Bark) and have started him on that but I'm also looking into the probiotic. However, there seems to be a lot of brands of S Boulardii here in the UK and a lot of them are more than I can afford (and don't contain very many doses). So I just wondered if anyone can recommend a UK brand that works well, is inexpensive and lasts a while? Also where is the cheapest place to get it?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

P.S. Can you give them both slippery elm and s boulardii or is it best to just give one or the other?

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Looking for a UK member to help you. Hang in there

Cherish4 likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Cherish4 likes this.
  5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Sorry for delayed reply...

I have no experience of S Boulardii, so can't help with that.
    I did do a search for probiotics that UK folks have used and the main one mentioned is 'Fortiflora'. Some other folks report benefit from using Protexin pro-kolin. These seem to be the main ones mentioned by UK folks (in the search that I did, anyway...)
    The Fortiflora is a probioitic (single strain, I think); the Protexin pro-kolin 'advanced' seems to be a prebiotic, with other stuff to improve gut health along with a binding agent to firm up the faeces.
    BTW: Link to Protexin 'advanced':
    https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-pro-kolin-advanced-for-cats-15ml

Fortiflora is considered by some to not be a particularly good probiotic. But it is very useful in encouraging kitties to eat, so, some find it more useful in that regard (and I use it a lot for that, even a tiny sprinkle on food can work wonders in tempting a jaded appetite...)
    I did ask my vet a long while back about other options for probiotics for cats in the UK, since the Fortiflora only had one strain of probiotic. But she seemed genuinely puzzled at my question and thought that would be fine, and she couldn't personally think of anything better than Fortiflora... o_O

Edited to add: Just found a couple of suggestions posted by a UK member of another group.
    http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/bioglan-gastrohealth-30-capsules/37630/?ladid=uk
    http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/optibac-probiotics-for-bowel-calm-80-vegicaps/27236/?ladid=uk

It may be worth your doing a search of the forum for probiotics generally, with regard to type and dosage.

BTW, did find this article about probiotic use in cats and dogs. This mentions that one study advised caution if there is acute pancreatitis. So, I guess this is something to bear in mind if the source of the problem is unknown, and pancreatitis hasn't been ruled out in any specific case...?
    https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...-validity-in-small-animal-patient-therapy.pdf

Eliz

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  6. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

FortiFlora is great but a little pricy, at least here in the US. I've used the US version of Protexin pro-kolin (Pro Pectalin) and it worked well, but was REALLY messy for us. I've used human S Boulardii, I'm not sure of what it's called overseas, but my cats hated the taste, and I personally didn't have much luck with it.

Cherish4 and Deb & Wink like this.
  7. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Fortiflora isn't cheap here either. I've decided to go with another one called Yudigest, which is specifically for pets, rather than the S Boulardii but thanks for responding. :)

8. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Hi @Elizabeth and Bertie, thanks so much for taking the time to provide me with all this information, it's much appreciated. However, after reading through it all and speaking to Little B's vet, I have decided to go with Yudigest by Lintbells instead. It's both a prebiotic and probiotic and it's supposed to work very well, it's even suitable for cats with IBD or Pancreatitis I believe. I used their arthritis supplement for one of my other cats and it worked brilliantly so fingers crossed.

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Okey dokey, Lauren. Good luck, I hope that helps to sort out Little B's tum. x

Cherish4 and Deb & Wink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.