Safe no shoot number for newbie using AlphaTrak

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

So originally my vet wanted me not shooting under 15 over the holidays and such since Sid had a urinary infection, or some other reason I forget.

I spoke to him today and he has agreed to lower the number now, but I want to make sure Sid is safe.

I can’t get midpoint checks during the day, but will be able to get about a +5 at night time, and I can also get midpoint checks during the day when hubby is off of work.

I’m a bit worried because my vet wants me to do a curve on Sid at home, and it’s been really challenging because he has started to fight me on testing.

I have been using the ointment on his ears, and only doing the pre shot tests to let his ear heal. I have only been able to use the one ear as the other it’s a bit of a fight.

Any tips or tricks to get him to be more patient with testing? I can’t give him too many treats because he gets a bit constipated.

Also, can I give him a treat before we do a pre-shot??? I’d like to do that but wasn’t sure how quickly it would affect blood sugar. It takes me about two minutes to get a test. Sometimes four.

Thanks guys!

Also, Sidney’s ketones are totally negative as of 12 noon today. I test daily. Or every other day if I can’t grab a sample.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Absolutely give him a treat at pre-shot test time. It's obviously best if it's something low carb but rewards help a lot!!

There is some variability with regard to what the "post and ask for help" number is with Lantus. It depends on which dosing method you opt to use. With Tight Regulation (TR), in the beginning you use 150 as when to get input (maybe a bit higher with an AT meter). With the Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) approach, 200 is when you ask for input. As you gain experience and are more comfortable with low numbers, you can begin to shoot progressively lower numbers.

3. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Hi :)

My guy was a jerk for testing. Since he was a cat with allergies he would flip out when I tried to touch his ears. We use rear paw paws most days here, with the occasional midday ear test or retest for low or unusual numbers. I generally cradle him in between my legs, put a treat ( lunch meat or freeze dried Turkey) on his chest and grabbed a foot- no testing though, this was just to get him used to it. After a few times , he was so busy trying to get the treat, I could grab a BG. Now he only gets a treat every few times.
    You just wanna condition your kitty to associate the testing with positive things. I would try setting up and posturing to test...maybe grab an ear, then stop and reward him for tolerating it...it can be his food and not a treat but my guy likes chicken / Turkey. Rinse and repeat, as they say. Then eventually, move to poking and getting a test :)
    Hope you find a good balance between him tolerating the test and being " good" for it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.