Safe to Withhold Food for 12 Hour Fasting Lab?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alilblu, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alilblu

alilblu New Member

My cat isn't on insulin, yet. Her glucose was around 550 last week and I switched her to a canned only diet. She's not eating (nothing to do with the food change) so I'm syringe feeding her. She also has high creatinine and BUN. She may have tumors/cancer as her abdomen is kind of big considering the rest of her is so thin. She may also have other organ failure. Her x-rays were ok. I'm looking into doing an ultrasound.

The vet wants to do a 12 hour fasting lab. I agree with checking lab work again, but I didn't think it was safe to withhold food from diabetic cats, or does that just apply to the ones on insulin?

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

How necessary is this lab work? How old is your cat?
    It's been my experience most tumors show up on x-ray first and are then confirmed by further investigation. A needle biopsy is one option and requires only local anesthetic, it's done while you wait. I can't speak as to the insulin, I'm more worried about your cat already being syringe fed and the stress of this knocking her down. There's nothing wrong with a bit of suffering now for the greater good. Cancers have to be diagnosed by looking at the cell structure under a slide, a mass could be anything and in our case it was a cyst in the GI tract.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

If she is not on insulin yet, then fasting shouldn't be an issue. If she was on insulin...you would do a reduced dose or skip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.