? Salem staying low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sjewell, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjewell

sjewell Member

The past cpl days Salem has been reading btwn 60-140. Last time we did lantus shot was over 24hrs ago. Tonite it was 112. Do you think he's on way to remission? I don't want to start celebrating yet but I feel very happy that his levels are this low without insulin. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you pop into the Lantus forum, you will find a number of sticky posts on how to use Lantus optimally near the top. Please read them and ask any questions you may have.

If you repeatedly have unshootable numbers, it means you probably need to reduce the dose by 0.25 units, at a minimum.

The dose adjustments are based on the nadir, the lowest number between shots. This is usually between +5 to +7 hours after a shot, though it can and does vary.

The pre-shot tests are to make sure it is safe to give insulin. As a new user, with almost no tests around +5 to +7, your no shot level is 200 mg/dL on a human glucometer.

Whenever you get a number too low to shoot, wait 30 minutes without feeding and re-test. If rising, it may be safe to shoot, but post for feedback.

3. bsmith

bsmith Member

Ditto to @BJM about the Lantus board stickies. I'd put up a post over there too as they are very helpful in advising you on how to reduce dosages properly and how, and when, to start doing an OTJ trial. Keep up the good work Salem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.