Salem update after last nites low 32 11/ 03/19 +5 278+11 179 PMPS 222

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina and Salem, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

ok Salem did really good yesterday Sandi came over for fluids 100ml at 3:00pm after he runned us to death hiding yesterday After fluids he was happy running back and forth from one end of the house to the other the sweet sounds of his little paws running he was also climbing the counters . I checked him at +2 he had dropped from 285 to 75 we retest got 35 bad strip? retest got 66 fed honey and FF with gravy he ate two cans he was hard to get his sugar up then he didnt want to est anymore so we jad a time gettjng him to get more to get hes sugar up it dropped a little also i hope this never happens again ! Boy did that scare me i had no idea hes sugar would drop like this so early in the game . Hope the change from 1.50units to 1.25 makes a difference . Sandi came all the way from her home a 35 minute drive at 10pm on a saturday night to help as soon as i texted. I asked for advice on the health forum this morning abt dosage change we agreed no lower than 1.25 u . Im so blessed to have Sandi help me out and all of you have been a blessing too ! Salems got good new friends now ! I will
    Update +1

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-03-19-help-asap-lantus-advice-need-new-dosage-asap-salem-amps.221220/#post-2470914

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Fluids can have an effect on BG numbers. When you give fluids, you can be "diluting" the glucose in your cat's system and numbers can drop.

I would not suggest giving your cat 2 cans of food all at once to get numbers up. As you saw, Salem was refusing food because he was full. Rather, if you have a gravy based food, spoon off the gravy and give only a small amount of the solids. You can also use low carb food and add a few drops of honey or corn syrup. Then, retest in 15 - 20 min and repeat if numbers are still low. You may want to read the sticky on handling low numbers.

It looks like you are posting in both Health and here on the Lantus/Lev board. It's fine to post in both places but you may want to decide where it makes the most sense to post. There is more experience with Lantus here.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the 1.5 units will still be active for 1 or 2 more cycles. The higher carbs will be wearing off. Keep close monitoring.

4. Tina and Salem

Yes Sandi was on the way i gave him the gravy with honey then the rest later yeah Sandi told me gravy so it doesnt fill him up but gets his sugar up . They were small FF cans if you see how salem eats he eats large cans of 9 lives FF is a snack to him . He was a 22 lb cat before he got sick . He was starving when he was sick . His sugar was hard to get up last night if he just licks a can of the 9 lives his sugar i have seen go from low 200s to 354 . He use to eat the hearty cuts in beef gravy . As soon as sandi went into another room he started to eat hes a scaredy cat when he doesnt know you well enough hes only met sandi maybe three times he was occupied with where she was instead interested in eating he didnt know what was going on hes mind wasnt set on eating but on what was going on . Hes discussed i think with all this poking and has been running away and hiding . I assume being in a strange place when hes never left this house but 4 times to visit the vet hes scared hes going away again .

5. Tina and Salem

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

That was a good catch last night and a great example of the value of getting a +2 test.

Siennes advice about feeding low numbers early in the cycle is spot on. Had I come on the scene earlier last night I would have recommended exactly the same. I do recommend you print the information she linked and keep it handy.

How much weight did Salem lose during his DKA ordeal?

7. Tina and Salem

Salem lost weight before he went to the hospital when i saw he was hanging over the water bowel before he was diagnosed and realized something was wrong i had been expecting he might be diabetic for a while he was always hungry never satisfied as a kitten . He weighed 22 lbs he went from that to 14 lbs on the diet change and being sick but he gained 2 lbs back then he lost that from the DKA . I thought either thyroids or diabetes . We weighed him saw he lost weight i called the vet to get an emergency visit i told them i suspect diabetes . I couldnt get an appt that saturday from hes vet so got one from another he suggested we try a diet change first he wanted him to eat diabetic management from purina the dry and wet food but he wanted to whinn him off of can but i found DCINs website read up on it abt diabetes in cats need no dry but canned low carb i found their list of low carbs i was paying over $100 for a small bag of dry and 24 cans of dm wet food their food is 10 carbs i know in the canned food but his nine lives in meaty pate was lower in carbs so i switched i realized he was wrong . He wanted to do the diet first before insulin for 4 months i did for abt 2 months he didnt tell me to test nor look for ketones . i found out abt testing on my own on line . He never got any lower than the low 200s . So i called ask abt insulin he said $500 or more a month to do a curve and to get his supplies it would take abt 3-4 visits to figure out his insulin amount . I said i dnt have the budget so i got ahold of dcin started the process of trying to get help im on disability i have scoliosis sciatica , spynosynothis not sure how to spell lol and degenerative bone disease arthritis, autoimmune disease , vitamin diffency and bursitis . i had surgery a doctor who has patients coming from all across the us messed me up i have a screw on my aorta no one will touch said it will kill me to go back in and several other screws touch in wrong places im a ticking time bomb i have rods and screws in my back and hips i fell broke my rod no one will fix it cause it will kill me so i needed help for salem that vet was taking too long and giving me wrong information on diabetes . Sandi has printed all those things for me to read im reading them in between doctor visit taking care of salem and a son who had a stroke in jan hes only 24 when he had the stroke . My mother had a stroke 2 wks after him so i had to care for her too . We had 19 people died in our family in one yr battling lawyers to get my husbands parents home pay his mothers bills she left us . I am aware of all this stuff im just in the learning process while juggling life . Salems my baby hes top priority. So i got help from Dcin . Yes im learning the rules for the website too . I just lost my aunt the same week salem almost died . When will all this end ? Heart breaking .... its alot to learn im learning i will learn it all to save salem . Hes worth it all . Im also trying to stop smoking i quit 6 yrs ago but put a cigarette in my mouth while trying to hold myself up with all thats going on . I will make mistakes but i will learn from my mistakes at the same time but im not going to risk salems life while doing it . I appreciate all yalls advise i need to learn alot . This is a complicated disease my dad is diabetic too its in my family on both sides i may also end up with it myself . I go no where but to church and doctors appts and to help my mom and fed 7 cats my mother in law who just passed at her house everyday too . Two are sick there also, one ran away i assume died . When i was still working i was a dog lover my kids found a stray lol my first cat then i got salem his sister bella and jojo from work he was starving i have four strays i adopted when i worked i could take better care of them i had three dogs scooby our beagle passed this year the two others are dogs we adopted also, one stray one from a friend who couldnt care for her i paid over. Thousand dollars to have her fixed she had a hernia and a cherry on her eye . They charged me twice fir fixing their mistake from the first surgery . That wasnt my fault i was stupid i paid it anyways .I love animals just had a bit of bad luck and had to stay home from hurting so much in my back and legs . I got snap to fix my other cats way cheaper than a vet and a rescue group help me save salems sister she had cyst all in her uterus she was the only one not fixed . I will donate to both rescue groups this year a little at a time . My way of paying it forward but i cnt do it all in one large sum . We squeezed the gravy out of the fancy fest and slowly feed salem the rest . But it took awhile like i said he wasnt interested in eating not cause he wasnt hungry But cause he was occupied in what was going on . He kept running and hiding . We put him in my daughters empty room She just got married moved out so that room helped us Keep him calm and away from the other cats . It just took time hes stressed from all this he has gone thru alot i am too lol . Sorry so long maybe this should be my introduction . Im seeing lot of people are asking the same questions and want more information on our story

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

For his ears get generic antibiotic ointment plus. Some call it triple ointment with pain relief, Neosporin extra, etc. Make sure it's the ointment though. Put a dab after each poke. Blood drop will also bead up nicely.

9. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Paula, I did write that down for her last night, and she thought she had some in the medicine chest and was going to slather his ears up after I left if that is what she had.

I actually was able to use my 31g lancets last night with the lancing pen so we wouldn't really piss him off. He was a real trooper once I got used to pricking the inside of the ear instead of the outside because he's black. Tina is using the 26g or 28g that I recommended until he bleeds better, which is fine, but I also told her to keep firm pressure on it after pricking and that should help too.

Keep the suggestions coming (as I've surely forgotten something), everyone! :)

Gill & George likes this.
  10. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

11. Tina and Salem

I will test again at +2 thanks salems doing great still hiding lol hes little ears must be hurting lol i lathered them in neosperone with pain relieve . Still going with 1.25 units

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Are you testing for ketones at least once a day? I only see a note regarding one ketone test on your spreadsheet.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

How long before the +2?
    I have to head out now but will be back later and can look in and see if Salem and Tina need any help/support.

14. Tina and Salem

No only once i know shot me i know its important but i cnt get his urine ? Im waiting on the ketone meter . I was thinking abt expressing his urine but think maybe thats a bad idea hes just getting over panceritits cnt spell you know what im saying and i hav never done it before . I dnt want to hurt him. What am i suppose to do if hes sugar is low say ib the morning and im suppose to give insulin ? Its 106 he just ate that's the reading before he ate do i not give him insulin , lower the amount or wha i know hes cnt miss his insulin shot?

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't express his urine. Wait for the ketone meter or try and catch a urine specimen
    I see you have started a new thread and asked about the blood sugars in the morning and Gill has answered you there.

Gill & George likes this.
  16. Tina and Salem

Ok thanks so much to learn and i dnt want to make a mistake and hurt my salem hes so much better hes a happy cat again . Hes like a little kid you know sandi made me realise salem is much older than i thought he was born in 2004 for hes actually 15 yrs not 10 yrs time goes by so fast

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

If you get a low number at pre-shot time, post and ask for help.

If you are posting on your phone, it would be very helpful if you did not use abbreviations. It is very hard to understand what you're trying to say. Complete sentences and vowels will help.

Tina and Salem likes this.