Scardie Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynn Abide, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn Abide

Lynn Abide New Member

Scardie just diagnosed ... Learned more from this site then I did from my vet...I am having trouble with her eating wet food... Lynn ( New Orleans)

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Lynn and Scardie! :bighug:
    Is she actually a bit skiddish? http://catinfo.org/ has some great information to help transition kitties on to wet food diets. There are a few acceptable dry foods for diabetic cats but still would like to see her eat some wet food.
    Going to give you some link instructions -
    Spreadsheet template: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/ If you've been browsing the site, then I am sure you have realized the significance we put on home testing. Just need a google account and if you need help, just ask! :)
    Signature information, provides quick glance of your kitties info and helps those of us with bad memories: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    Lastly, I like to give this to new members, better to be prepared: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Feel free to ask any questions on the Main Health Forum! This is a support group for Scardie and YOU :cat:

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Lynn, welcome! I'm right up the road from you in Picayune, MS. Is Scardie eating, just not wanting the wet? If so try mixing a small amount of wet with the dry, or crushing some dry and sprinkling it on top of a little wet. You may also try a different wet food. Let us know how we can help!

4. Lynn Abide

Lynn Abide New Member

Thank you...:)

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!
    Wet food is preferred but a cat has to eat especially with giving insulin.
    If you need a transition food Dr Elsey makes a under 10% carb dry food and they will send a sample-I believe it is 4.69% carb for the chicken and the salmon is not out yet but it is about 9%

https://www.drelseys.com

Young again is also low carb (very high calorie) -- for my kittys it ay much too rich and caused vomit and diarrhea although many use it just fine.

Hang in there you are doing great!!:bighug:

6. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Hi Lynn! I'm new too. This is only or 2nd week. I'm glad you found this site. Tons of good information to read through!
    I too am having difficulty getting my cat to eat enough (though our food problems may be different than yours). My Fabby is interested, and likes the food, she just eats a small portion then I have to spend 30 minutes doing rain dances and such to get her to eat a bit more. She apparently needs dinner AND a show...

Anything to get her better though. ;)
    Welcome to da Beetus club.

7. Lynn Abide

Lynn Abide New Member

Same here ... Not eating a lot ...

8. Sharon14

9. Lynn Abide

Lynn Abide New Member

I have a buffet of wet foods... She likes the juices ...but eats very little...

AlphaCat likes this.
  10. Sharon14

Does she act like she feels bad? Did the vet find any infections? I'm guessing that you weren't told to test for ketones. You can pick up test strips at any pharmacy. If she's not eating well and has high blood sugar it's important for you to check for ketones.

11. Lynn Abide

Lynn Abide New Member

Thank you... Will get test stripes tomorrow...

12. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

My rain dance proceedure is: put down ½ a can (I feed 4x a day so if she eats it all it would be 2 cans if 5.5oz Friskies low carb). Then let her eat what she wants.
    Like yours mine likes the juices, but will eat a bit. Usually about ½ of what's put out (so only a ¼ of a can). Then I use a spoon and make a pile of the remaining food (stirring it a bit so any juice she didn't eat will be on top). She'll eat a little more. Then she leaves the dish usually. So I get the bowl and mix in a little water. Stir and bring it to her. She'll eat most of it this way. I might have to add water twice. A couple of the times she didn't get very much in her at all so I got out her Fancy Feast salmon treats and broke that up and mixed it in leaving a little to sprinkle on the top too. That seemed to help.
    My cat is very stubborn. She walks away from the food dish, but if I stir the food in the biwl the clinking if the food on the dish is almost irresistible. Lol. So I do try to clink a lot when stirring, lol.

Sharon14 likes this.
  13. Lynn Abide

Lynn Abide New Member

Do you test her blood ?

AlphaCat likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Is she a kibble addict? Is that why she's not eating or is she not feeling well? It's very serious of they don't eat as it can turn into fatty liver disease.

15. Sharon14

16. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Yes. Right now 4 times a day. Unless I'm doing a curve then it's every 2 hours for one day.
    I got the ReLion Confirm from Wal-Mart b/c of the small amount of blood it uses.
    She always seems hungrier when her glucose is higher. In the morning she still tests in about 450ish, and she will wake me up 2 hours ahead of time because she's hungry. (I can't feed her that early before a shot, but even if I did feed her she'd only eat a ¼... Lol.)
    I'm on track to get 2 while cans in here today! Gotta go get my rain dance on right now... But if you have other questions on testing or food, please do ask!

17. Lynn Abide

Lynn Abide New Member

She is eating a little more ...sprinkled a very fine dust of dry food on top n she ate the wet food.... Also tested her for the first time ... Easier then I thought:cat:thank you

18. Sharon14

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.