Scared mom of a newly diagnosed diabetic cat with IBD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MollynSkooter, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

Hello there,

My wonderful and amazing cat, Skooter (age 17), was diagnosed on April 19, 2014. My cat was a long term prednisone user due to another medical condition, irritable bowel disease. His vet thinks that might be the cause of the on set of diabetes. He tested pretty high, around 520 or so. We took him off the prednisone immediately and began using an alternative medicine for that (in a liquid form, which was MUCH better than trying to shove a pill down his throat). We waited for a bit to see if Skooter would convert to a non-diabetic state, which never happened.

Our journey of insulin thusly began on May 12, 2014. Being deathly afraid of needles I was very concerned that I would not be able to rise to the occasion and provide him the much needed insulin he needed. My to my relief, giving the injections were a piece of cake, little did I know that the needles would be the easy part of this process. He still is testing anywhere between 428 and 520. I am unable to change his diet due to his irritable bowel disease (he has been on a prescription food for about 10 years now).

I am starting to feel like a failure as a cat mom as it seems nothing I am doing is right.

His urine is/was so concentrated with glucose that is litter turned basically into a paste, which promptly found the deepest crevasses of his paws, which led to many a foot soak by me and the vet's clinic. We have changed kitty litter to Yesterday's News, which seems to have done the trick. He gets very little in his litter box at a time, so I am changing it more frequently, but it beats trying to dig it out of his paws. However, he does not like to use his litter box for his bowel needs, which I am guessing is because he is unable to cover it up. I have tried puppy pads, which he promptly moves in order to do his business on the concrete instead.

We are now up to four units of Lantus with each injection, along with his medication for his irritable bowel disease.

When we went on this past Tuesday and his test came back at 519, I almost started crying right then and there. I know they say that some cats are more difficult to regulate, and I have tried to do some research on my own, however the information is just so overwhelming.

Now, I am thinking he has neuropathy as he is walking on his hocks, not jumping up on to furniture and needs to stop frequently. I know they say to get the diabetes under control first, but I just feel awful I can't do more.

My family and friends have been VERY supportive during this time, some even willing to learn how to give Skooter his insulin. I am very appreciative of the support I am getting, but they just don't know what this is like. I have also been blessed with an AMAZING vet clinic, who has the best vet and amazing staff who have been so helpful, patient, understanding and supportive during this process. I guess I am just hoping I have found a place to get some support from other individuals who have been where I am, know the drill and can truly understand what this is like.

It is scary and overwhelming all at once. My head knows that I am doing everything I can and it is not my fault that it is taking longer to regulate him than I thought, but it doesn't seem to make me feel any better.

Anywho, thanks to anyone who took the time to read this and perhaps leave a few words of encouragement or advice. I look forward to using this site to get some valuable information. (This site came HIGHLY recommended by my vet).

Thanks again for "listening",
    Skooter's mom

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Scared mom of a newly diagnosed diabetic cat

Welcome Skooter and Skooter's mom!

First, there is no way you are a failure! You have a kitty with two difficult conditions and you have been working hard to find out what will help. A failure would be a mom who threw up her hands and said this is too hard. You, my dear, are a wonderful kitty mom.

I have no direct experience with IBD but others do. You could go back up to your original post, choose Edit and add IBD to your subject line. There is a Yahoo group for IBD that might have some diet ideas. It and some other links are in this thread:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=118862&p=1243964&hilit=Ibd diet#p1243964

Are you testing Scooter at home? If not, that would give you a feeling of control over his diabetes. Testing will show you what his preshot and midcycle numbers are, and help guide you with dosing.

We would love to help you help Scooter. Keep reading and asking questions. And when you want to vent, this is the place. We have all been in your shoes.

3. MollynSkooter

Thank you so much for the kind note, it made me tear up :)

I have watched some videos on home testing and I am not sure I am mentally ready to do that. I fear that my stress and uncomfortableness doing it, would rub off on Skooter and make it a difficult process for him as well. At this point, I am just trying to take in all the information and try to sift through everything.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There are some Secondary Monitoring Tools listed in my signature link. While you consider/work on home testing, please consider using KetoDiaStix to test the urine for ketones and glucose since the previous void. Ketones result from the breakdown of fat for calories, which happens because the cat can't use the glucose in the blood due to the lack of insulin. Too many ketones may indicate diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a potentially fatal complication of diabetes. Early detection may save your cat's life.

The testing becomes routine quite quickly and many cats become quite blase about the entire process. Many of us give low carb treats when testing which teaches the cat that testing is accompanied by Good Things.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What IBDmed are you now using?

6. MollynSkooter

He is currently taking 0.5 budesonide 2 mg/ml.....his is chicken flavored....must say MUCH easier than trying to do the pill and he seems to like it. He has been on it about six weeks now and it is workinf wonderfully....

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My experience is that budesonide raises BG/requires more insulin for some cats but not others.

8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Skooter's mom and extra sweet Skooter and welcome to the message board. Would you please share your first name with us? We know your kitties name but would like to know your name too.

What prescription food are you feeding Skooter? Maybe we can think of an alternative that would help both the IBD and the Diabetes.

My best advice? Deep breathing exercises. Deep breath in, hold, release, deep breath in, hold, release, deep breath in, hold, release.

You are doing the best that you can. We've all been there and are here to help you all along the way. Please keep asking questions.

What do you need to help cheer you up? A cyber hug? A bad joke? How about one of my infamously bad poems?

Skooter's mum is scared,
    she called herself a bad mommabean,
    but her thinking is a bit impaired,
    with worry and stress between,
    IBD and diabetes,
    two difficult diseases to treat,
    so we'll pepper her with entreaties,
    to know we'll help her extra sweet,
    we'll find solutions for Skooter,
    because the FDMB is a great trouble shooter!

Seriously though. We are here if you need a shoulder to cry on, a calming voice to help you through a sticky situation, experienced voices to teach you what you need to learn to help Skooter, a laugh to help cheer you up. You are part of a very special family now, her on the Feline Diabetes Message Board. Never forget that.

9. MollynSkooter

Thank you so much for the kind words. My name is Molly. I tend to be a worrier to begin with and this is all so new to me that I freak out at every little thing. I must admit, reading other people's posts is making me a bit jealous as Skooter has yet to test under 428....amazing how quickly these numbers become ingrained in your head.

Skooter is currently on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein HP Dry Cat Food. He has been on it since he was diagnosed with IBD about six or seven years ago, I believe. It is amazing how it has really improved his IBD. He has very few episodes. That in combination with his new medication has been working wonders.

I just had a tear filled conversation with my favorite vet tech, Fred. Skooter had eaten a portion of his food, I gave him his 4 units and he ate some more. He then proceeded to throw up three times, but not all of his food. He as very reassuring and now as I type this, my sweet lil man is laying on me all cuddled up. I am really hoping that when we go in to test on Tuesday, we can break the 300 barrier. I am also really considering home testing, but I am not sure I can handle that. I have watched a couple videos where they test from the ear, but his ear doesn't seem thick enough to be able to lance it, without upsetting him.

10. Deb & Wink

Hi Molly! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Have you read this post yet? Newbies - a message from your cat

Yes, this is a difficult time when you first learn your cat is diabetic. It's a bit more complicated since Scooter also has IBD.

Would you describe the symptoms of how the IBD manifests itself?

Where do you live? Perhaps we have a member close enough to teach you how to home test.

11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Molly. You have come to the right place. If you read my first posts from April you will see that I was determined not to test Max's BG at home. Now I do it several times a day. He really doesn't mind it. I thought he would because my meek cat became hostile the day after he was diagnosed when I left him at the vet's for a glucose curve. That is when they give insulin and test ever 2 hours to see how they react. Well at home he is an angel. He gets freeze dried chicken or turkey after each test and waits for it by his food dish if I forget. If I wasn't testing at home I wouldn't know that he often drops much lower at night, like right now!! My advice is to be kind to yourself. Take baby steps. Maybe get the testing materials and try to test once a day or once in each 12 hour cycle. Once you are testing you will be able to adjust his insulin to the right dose for him. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Elise

12. Alexis & Nikki (GA)

Alexis & Nikki (GA) Member

Hi there! I wanted to stop by as my cat Nikki went through something similar. she was never officially diagnosed with anything but she had pretty constant diarrhea and vomiting for about 4 months. We put her on prednisolone and switched her to the hydrolysed protein food and that helped a bit. Unfortunately, she then became diabetic. Once I started blood testing, her sugars never really came down. Thankfully I found catinfo.org and realized the high level of carbs in the special diet I was feeding.

With this kind of diet, you have two options. One, keeping feeding what works to treat the IBD and be committed to raising the insulin until there is enough insulin to counter act the food. Not ideal, but it's often better to manage the underlying symptoms.

The 2nd option is to explore a food change. At first I found a low carb raw that Nikki would eat. It helped the diarrhea a bit but then she decided she didn't love the taste. So I switched over to Wellness foods. I never thought she'd be ok on them, but once I found the right insulin dose and a decent canned food, her issues went away. She's in remission now and while she does have the occasional pudding poo, it's nowhere near as bad as before. I've also found that she does better on poultry than red meat. It may be that a little experimentation can help you put together an alternate plan for Skooter.

Another suggestion I'd make is to check with a feline nutritionist. They may have some ideas to help you manage the IBD.

Keep hope! This is a great place full of dedicated people. It's a great place to vent, whine, and gain knowledge. I know everyone here will be pulling for you and Skooter on this journey.

Alexis

13. MollynSkooter

Thank you everyone for all the great info. The more posts I read, the more I realize I don't know and have yet to learn and it feels a bit overwhelming.

But from what I understand, diabetes in animals is very similar to diabetes in humans. I am guessing I am going to have to do more research on blood glucose, how everything reacts with one another (feeding, food options, etc).

Ugh will any of this ever make sense??!!? I sure hope so!

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, it will! The more you read, the more you understand. At first I kept a 3 ring binder and ran off pages of things I wanted to read and reread. Pretty soon it became second nature. And anytime you have a question or want to find some information, just ask. We all are paying it forward.

Then, someday soon, you'll be writing an encouraging note to someone new. :D

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you' like to do more reading, there are some excellent lay and technical references by Merck. They put their manuals online and the technical ones are used in universities worldwide.

Got the this site to select what you would like to read.

16. MollynSkooter

I am happy to say that my Skooterbear FINALLY broke the 400 barrier today, testing in at 3328!!!!! :D :D :D :D

His vet was very please with his progress and even more pleased when I asked about home testing. She said it would be a great addition, but most people are too chicken to try. She said if I got my supplies, I could bring them in and they would show me how to test him the next time he comes in (which will most likely be on Thursday for a curve or Tuesday for his normal check, depending on the results of his fructosamine test are).

I am relieved that we are finally moving in the right direction and hoping to have him regulated within the next few weeks.

Thanks to everyone on here for all your awesome support, it sure has helped me navigate through this first month!

Here is to hoping he just gets better from here!

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

How fantastic to have a vet that will help you home test! Hurray!

While you wait, you can get your kitty ready for testing.
    First pick a place where you want to test. Some people use the kitchen counter, a blanket on the floor, between your legs while sitting – whatever works for you. Take the kitty there and give him lots of praise while you play with his ears. Give a treat and release. Next time, add the rice sack (thin sock filled with raw rice, heated in the microwave until very warm but not hot) or a prescription pill bottle filled with very warm water. Lots of praise, treat and release. Finally add the lancet so he will get used to the noise. The hope is that when you finally poke, they will be used to the process and know a treat is coming!

Here's a shopping list if you need it.
    Some members stay away from any meter with True in the name and the Freestyle meters. Some people think they are unreliable and read lower than other meters. The meters are often free at drug stores; it’s the strips that are expensive. You can, however, buy them on ebay at less than half the price of stores. Lots of people here also like the ReliOn from Walmart. It is an inexpensive meter and its strips are the cheapest around. Try the meter out on yourself or someone else before you try it on your cat. You want to be familiar with it before you poke the cat.

Lancets and a lancet device. Usually, until the ears “learn” to bleed, a 26-28 gauge is good. Any brand will work as long as the lancets match your device.

Ketone strips. (Ketostix) Just like human diabetics use. You will sometimes need to test urine if the numbers are high.

Rice sack. Make this out of thinnish sock, filled with raw rice or oatmeal and then knotted. You heat this in the microwave until very warm but not hot. Then heat the ears before poking. You can also use a prescription bottle filled with very warm water. It provides a good surface to poke against.

Also nice to have. Flashlight: so you can look at the ears and find the little capillaries that come off the vein running down the ear. Vaseline: Put a tiny smear where you want to poke. It will help the blood bead up.

And some lo carb treats to give your kitty, successful test or not Lo carb treats

18. MollynSkooter

She seemed pretty happy that I was willing to at least try. I believe she will set me up with the Vet Tech who taught me how to give the insulin. When they test him there, they test from his ear, so I think his ear will be "used" to bleeding, so I am hoping I don't have to worry about that part.

Unfortunately with is IBD, I can't give treats, but I sure can give him lots of love and snuggles :) I had not heard the tip of the Vasoline, so thanks for that one! I also like the idea of the rice sock, if for nothing else than to help me keep him and me steady while he does it. I am also glad that they test from the ear at the vet's office, as I am hoping he will be somewhat used to it. They had a meter I could buy from them that is specific to cats, but when I told her most people on here got the Relion (spelling) meter, she said to go with what was posted on here. I just don't know what gauge lancet to get. She is going to call me tomorrow with the results of his fructosamine test, so I can ask then which size she would recommend since they have been testing him in the ear up to now. (A lot of the posts I read said they changed the size once the cat was used to "bleeding").

I will not lie, I am a bit nervous about doing it, but since I don't have to just learn from videos and I can have the Vet Tech teach me how to do it, I am feeling a bit more at ease.

Fingers crossed, that he continues to go in this direction and we can FINALLY get him regulated!

19. Deb & Wink

Many people when they first start out home testing, like to use the larger gauge lancets. Those labeled "for alternate site testing" have a larger pin to poke with, around 25-27 gauge. Later, you could switch to the thinner or ultra thin lancets 30-33 gauge.

It usually takes some practice before you become proficient at the home testing.

20. MollynSkooter

So Skooter's fructosamine test came back at 500, which strangely I am a little relieved about because that tells me he wasn't ever super low or close to having a hypo episode....

I must admit I am still flying high on Skooter's 328 glucose test yesterday, and while that may seem high to most, he has been testing in the high 400s/low 500s since his diagnosis in April.

My vet is setting me up with a Vet Tech who is going to teach me how to test Skooter at home. From what I have read on here, I am apparently lucky that my vet is so supportive of me at least attempting to try this. I am determined to not let this beat me as it seems home testing is a very large component of feeling more in control of the situation and help Skoots to get within a normal range quick!. It may mean a lot more annoying posts with questions for awhile, but as I have fast learned, this is an amazing, support and patient group of people :)

I was hoping someone would be able to direct me where to download the spreadsheet. I would like to get one set up for my Skooterbear. I thought someone had posted a link as a response, but I could not find it. I plan to go buy my supplies (Relion seems to be the unit of choice) tomorrow night....unfortunately, I have to wait until next week to go in to learn.

Thanks Deb & Wink for the info on the lancets....I am wondering, is one gauge easier on cats than the other?

21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Start with the 26 to 28 gauge lancets for alternative site testing; it'll be easier to get blood with them. As new capillaries develop, you move to a higher gauge (thinner) lancet.

23. MollynSkooter

When he goes to the vet, they have already been testing from the ear, does that matter or change advice on what gauge to start with? If not, how do I know when to switch the gauge size?

24. tiffmaxee

Changing gauge sizes won't matter at all. My vet actually taught me using a needle and I still use them lots of times because I always get blood on the first stick. I use size 25g terumo or 26g lancets for alternative sites. I don't use a lancing device with the lancets. You will be able to do this. I swore I never would and now I test so much. I would be afraid not to test. I can't tell how Max is doing by his behavior at all. Whether his BG is 32 or 400 he acts the same.

25. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When it is ridiculously easy to get blood, you can move up to thinner gauge lancets or needles.

Continued pricking of the ears results in new capillary development (angiogenesis) which makes getting blood easier.

26. MollynSkooter

So it looks like Skooter and I will be going to the vet on Tuesday in order for me to learn how to test Skoots at home. They are hoping I can do a curve at home on Saturday, as they realize the stress can cause the numbers to go high.

Since this is all still a bit overwhelming and I am not at all computer savvy, I want to at least start out with a notebook of his numbers....just wondering what all I should be documenting. I am sure they will go over this at the vet, but I have a feeling I will be a bit nervous about learning to test I might forget to ask questions :)

I am guessing time of test, what the numbers were, when he has his injections, how many units he got, when he ate and how much?

27. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for other assessments you can report on to your vet.

Spreadsheet instructions

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you want, I can set you up with a spreadsheet. Check your private messages - at the top of the page "1 new message"

29. MollynSkooter

So I have been looking on line as I was about to go to get Skooter's glucose meter.

It looks like most people on here use the ReliOn from Walmart. However, looking on line, they have four different kinds....ReliOn Prime, ReliOn Confirm, ReliOn Micro, ReliOn Ultima......they are all around the same price, is there one option that is better than others?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

30. MollynSkooter

It looks like the ReliOn Ulitma is the only one that has the "option" of the alternative treatment sites.....so I am thinking I will go with that one!

31. tiffmaxee

I use the Micro. I use the lancets that are for alternative sites. I'm not sure what you mean about only the ultima saying that. Since humans don't test the ear or paw, all of us use alternative sites when we test. By the way I do like the Micro.

32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

All meters can use blood from any site.
    Alternate site testing generally uses a thicker lancet - 26-28 gauge - that's all.

The Confirm and Confirm Micro are identical to the Arkray Glucocard 01 and 01 Mini sold by American Diabetes Wholesale. Theu use a .3 microliter drop.

The Prime uses a slightly larger blood drop and has less expensive test strips.

33. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

Hey, Skooter's mom. I know it's been a while since your initial post but I just saw this thread and felt like I had to reach out to you. I have the opposite problem as you. Shiro was diagnosed as a diabetic first and (I believe due to the kibble my parents insisted in sneaking him) developed IBD (as part of triaditis/triad syndrome.) I feel your frustrating and fears greatly, they are very much the same as my own. Triad and diabetes seem like fire and ice, what helps one makes the other wosre and visa versa. It's a scary thing to feel like you can't do anyting right. But remember this - you're doing your research, working with a vet and doing what you can. I'm sure your baby appreciates it. You aren't a doctor and even they have limited ideas as to the causes of IBD. It's very hard to regulate a cat if you can't make alternations to their diet, especially a prescription diet. I was really nervous about home testing too - hating needles and the notion that i'd hurt Shiro. He is an irritable, grumpy, violent old man but once I got the process down it was quick and mostly painless. Really, do please give it some consideration. There's no huge gaping wound or big gush of blood and it does them so much good. Have you looked into the carb values of the Royal Canine food? I see that it's a dry food and if there are any wet alternatives, that alone might make a HUGE difference in his numbers. (Shiro went from 400s to 300s in a matter of a week or two simply by lowering his dry food intake to as little as possible.) Either way. Keep up the good work!

As a side note... as someone whose cat was only recently diagnosed with IBD/Triad, any advice? Shiro absolutely wouldn't be able to tolerate the dry food hypoallergenic diet with the way his levels tend to spike on dry food. You said you're using budesonide ? I believe that's an alternative to prednisone in the treatment of IBD? And that's been working well for you? My vet has only mentioned pred or cyclosporine and I might bring up the possibility of budesonide but i'd like to know more about it. ./Sorry if this is hijacking your thread, feel free to reply in PM if you have the time !

34. MollynSkooter

Thanks for the info on the machines. When reading the differences on line, the Ultima was the only one that mentioned the alternative site testing. I am picking up his meter today after work.

Hey Avalon!
    Skoots has been dealing with IBD for about 7 years now. It was REALLY bad inthe beginning, technically before he was dx'd. He had exploratory surgery where they took about 8 biopsies. I am not sure if that reset his system, but as he recovered from surgery he gots tons better. He was actually off meds for a very long time.

I really love his new medication as it is a liquid and so much easier to give than trying to jam a pill down his throat. I have read on here that the new med sometimes causes cats to need a higher dose of insulin. I think my vet also said they do have a few different flavors. At my vet's office they order the medication from a mail order pharmacy that ships right to the house. A bottle of it is about $30 and lasts about two months (Skoots gets .5ml a night), so it was cheaper than the prednisone pills as well which helps with all the new expenses.

Unfortunately, any other food, other than the one he is currently on, makes him throw up regardless of what medication he is on...I guess he just has a real sensitive stomach. I sometimes wonder if he got the diabetes first that I would have had an easier time trying new foods, but oh well, you work with what you have.

It is a bit frustrating because there are a lot if great suggestions on here I can't take because of the conflicting indications with the two separate medical issues and its hard for some people to understand. I would love to be able to make changes to his diet, etc but what good is it if he is gonna throw up and then I can't dose him with his insulin?

I am lucky to have an amazing vet who is very passionate about her job and animals. She had actually gone to a forum type things on diabetic cats about a month before my boy was diagnosed. I trust her completely and she seems to understand the battle royale that takes placwewith these two issues.

Not sure how much that helps you but hopefully some. As for home teating, I am getting my supplies tonighr and my awesome vet's office has set me up with a vet tech who is going to show me how to test tomorrow and then on Saturday, I shall attempt my first curve testing...wish me luck! As with the insukin injections, I am pretty sure the home testing will be harder on me than on Skooterbear. ...

35. Deb & Wink

Let us know how the testing lessons for Skooter go! Hope you get that BG testing down pat.

36. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When there is another medical condition, you treat that first and adjust the insulin as needed. It is much less likely the cat will become diet-controlled. He'll still be with you, though.

37. MollynSkooter

That is what my vet is going wuth as well....just wish the IBD and the diabetes didnt have to argue so much :)

I have basically resigned myself to knowing. Skooter will probably always have a higher dose of insulin than I will like, BUT he will still be with me and we will still be able to treat both issues.

I got his meter today and just read the instructions. I am sure most people here consider it old hat to test, but I have to admit I pretty nervous about it. I feel lucky to have an awesome clinic that is willing to set aside time to teach me.

I did try to download the spreadsheet, but I dont think I did it correctly as when I went to do the second part where you share it, I didn't have the option the instructions said I should. I shall try again tomorrow.

Any good vibes and thoughts that could be sent our way tomorrow afternoon would be greatly appreciated. I am guessing, as with the injections, the testing will be harder on me than Skooter.

I must admit that this process has been emotionally draining and exhausting and very very scary. I am hoping that once this becomes more "normal" it won't be so exhausting...

38. tiffmaxee

You are right. My first post started, don't beat me up for this but what do I do if I won't be home testing. I was scared to death. My docile cat was labeled aggressive at the vet's after spending a day there when he got his first insulin shot. Well, to make a long story short, I test a ton. You can look at my ss and see. Max is an angel for me too. My vet had to leave early that day and was as surprised as I was. He always comments on how easy Max is to handle. He said he probably had a reaction to the cage which was confirmed when he had to stay at the cardiologist's for an echo. He was great for them but had a problem with being in a cage there as well. At home he sits without moving, even if I forget something and have to go get it in another room. He even has been caught purring during a test so you will get through this. I recommend using lancets designated for alternative site, gauge 25 or 26. I still sometimes use 23-25g needles which is what my vet prefers and always gives me the right amount of blood on one stick. Let us know how it goes.

Elise

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you have trouble with the spreadsheet, send me a private message and I'll help you set it up. (to send a private message, hit the PM button at the bottom left hand side of my post.)

40. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

You helped a great deal and I think we're going to end up figuring out the same basic road; treating the IBD first and probably using insulin to manage the diabetes. With that said, at least the boys will still be with us c: I was very nervous the first time I tested as well. I actually did several test shots on my own fingers to see what it would be like. Shiro is very aggressive but he sat through it like a champ, only getting mildly irritated with me. The warm rice sock really helps and I highly recommend it. Other than that, deep breaths and don't worry. Skoots can tell when you're stressed and really, it'll become easier with time. I know it's tough worrying about your little guy but just remember that plenty of cats on this forum have managed long, happy, comfortable lives with diabetes. Hopefully, so will yours.

41. MollynSkooter

Skooter, and more importantly, I survived learning how to test Skooter!

My hands were shaking pretty much the whole time, so it is a good thing, I didn't actually didn't touch his ear to get the sample, but once the drop was there, I scooped it up on the handy dandy test strip and voila!

Skooter was such a champ and didn't seem to be bothered by it at all. Saturday will be our first curve test, but I plan to test him twice a day so we can both get used to the testing.

So greatful to have such a great vet clinic that is willing to help through all of this.

Thanks to all the support from everyone here!

42. MollynSkooter

Who just did her first glucose test (got it on the second try - not enough blood the first time)

If you guessed MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE you would be correct!!!!

Wooooo hooooo....he got a little antsy/impatient with me, but I think we will survive (once I get less clumsy with it) !!!!!! Such a relief to have the first one done. I was anxious to do the first one after watching the vet tech do it, and figured there was no reason I HAD to wait until tomorrow before breakfast, so I went ahead and tested.....

It was 380, which is the second lowest he has had since he has started being tested......After the curve on Saturday, we will decide if we need to up his dose from 4 units or not......

43. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hurray! Welcome to the Vampire Club. :mrgreen: You'll be amazed how much more in control you will feel, knowing what his numbers are. Congratulations!

44. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

I am newly diagnosed as well and I can tell you that the testing gets a whole lot easier. When I started, I tried to use the lancet device that came with the meter and poor Oliver's ears were black and blue. Now, I just hold the lancet in my hand and prick the edge of his ear. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Two things I did learn:

I bought 4 different meters before I found one I liked. I now use the Relion Micro. The great thing about this meter is that it needs just a little tiny drop of blood. The amount of blood is so small that it still surprises me.

The other thing I learned (thanks to this forum) is that putting Neosporin with pain medication on his ears seems to help them heal pretty quickly.

Good luck with the testing. You'll be a pro in no time at all.

45. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

Forgot to mention that my cat also has IBD. He has been taking prednisolone for 6 months and I'm pretty sure that is what caused his diabetes. You should keep track of when you give your cat his medication. You will probably find what I found - his blood glucose spikes a few hours after the medication. In my case, when I took Oliver to the vet, his BG tested 400+. But I was giving him his pred in the morning and I think the vet was testing at the pred. spike. He still has diabetes, but his BG wasn't quite as horrible as was indicated by the vet's readings.

46. MollynSkooter

Thanks for the neosporian tip! I will have to add that to my ever growing list for my Skooter!

We actually took Skooter off the prednisone as the vet is pretty sure that is what caused the diabetes in his case as well. He is now on .5 ml of budesonide. It seems to working great. He gets his insulin between 6 & 7 am and pm and then his budesonide around 9 to 10....now that I am home testing (still can't believe I am typing that!) I will be curious to test him around 1130 or midnight to see what if any kind of effect it has on is insulin.

Thanks again for the kind words from everyone!

47. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

I posted about budesonide a few days ago and another user on the message board said that her cat was on budesonide and that also caused a rise in BG. You will just have to do some testing to find out how Skooter is reacting to it.

48. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

I posted about budesonide a few days ago and another user on the message board said that her cat was on budesonide and that also caused a rise in BG. You will just have to do some testing to find out how Skooter is reacting to it.

49. MollynSkooter

So this morning's attempt testing didnt go great. He got fed up after the third attempt so we both decided it would be best to wait amd give it another go tonight.....wish us luck!

50. tiffmaxee

Here is what worked for me. I take Max into one bathroom which is his testing spot. I always give him treats after the poke. I learned with my other kitty when she got sick to always give meds and treatments in one place so she would feel safe everywhere else. Also, I think I mentioned this before or perhaps it was to somebody else. My vet taught me with a 23g needle. I now still often use 25g needles or 26g lancets for alternative sites. I find I only need one stick with the needle and I don't get any more of a reaction than with a lancet. When I do get a reaction it's when he moves his ear and I hit a tender spot. Good luck tonight.

51. MollynSkooter

Yeah the vet's office and I had a miscommunication and so I thought he was giving me something different test with, so the only needles I have currently are the 30 G. I am gonna go out tonight to get the 23 or 25 and see if that works better.

I am also tempted to chalk it up and get the ReliOn Micro, as many have told me you need less blood and then use the Ultima I just got as a back up. I figure at this point with all the expense I have put into my Skooterbear, what is another $50 for the new machine and test strips if it will make it easier on him.....

Thanks for the luck, I think I shall need it lol

52. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

Getting a Micro is a really good idea. It makes a big difference in testing them. I use a lancet and just barely nick the edge of his ear - about 1/8" in from the edge. The Micro works with just a tiny amount of blood. Believe me, you will get the hang of it very quickly.

53. MollynSkooter

Aaaaaaaaaand scene!

So my first official meltdown just ended a few minutes ago. I went out and got a different meter, the ReliOn Micro, as many people said that it requires less blood than the other meters and figured with my difficulty last night, it might be better. So got the meter, test strips, 26G lancets (that was the lowest number they had).....of course when I was almost home I realized I forgot a pair of socks, rice and neosporain. But since I needed to get home to give Skooter his insulin, I figure I would make it work, I was able to draw blood last night, I can do it again!

Well I couldn't figure out how to turn the new machine on (probably would have helped had I not assumed it was very similar to the other one and read the instructions), so I went for the other meter, thinking I would give it ago. I wasn't able to get a good enough sample, and by the time I did, the meter had shut off, so that was a waste.

So then out with the instruction manual of the new one and figured out how to do everything. I think I tried about five times and got NOTHING. Skooter started making noises and moving his head around and tried to paw at the ear I was attempting to test......so I gave up and let the crying begin!

I am starting to feel like a failure and feeling like Skooter deserves more than I can give him. But I am too selfish to find someone else who probably could do this better because I love him so much. He is so forgiving, as I type this, he is snuggled up on my shoulder, which only makes me feel worse.

After leaving the vet's office the idea of doing a curve test was super exciting, now the thought of it makes me want to throw up as I have no idea how I am going to do this. I am thinking this breakdown was just two months in the making, since I haven't really cried/freaked out since his diagnosis.

This is so hard to do solo, and I know many people do it and eventually I will be able to as well, but right now.....I just feel awful, inadequate, so overwhelmed (with everything, the dx, the treatment, the shots, everything....hence why I think this was in part, a build up from when he was first diagnosed) and very alone. And even though I just caused him pain with trying to test him, Skooter just sits with me and tries to make me feel better, which makes me feel worse.

I think I will try to relax for a bit and perhaps I will try testing a little bit later. I figure at this point, while it is important to know his numbers before insulin and after etc, it is more important I LEARN how to test properly, regardless the time the test is done. So here is hoping that later tonight, I can successfully test him, but right now, I feel like it is hopeless and I will never be able to do this.....

54. Sue and Oliver (GA)

A little wine, a little chocolate, a little cuddle with Scooter. Very, very few of us got this on the first few tries. We poked poor Oliver for an entire weekend before we got a drop. One of the things that finally helped us was heating the ear. Until the capillaries get bigger (which they will with more poking) really warming the ear until nice and very warm helps.

Are you using something behind the ear to poke against? We used a small makeup sponger behind his ear. Some people use folded kleenix.

Do some deep breathing, relax awhile and start again later when you are both more relaxed. You will get this eventually.

And no, having someone who can poke but doesn't care as much as you do wouldn't be an improvement. Before long, you'll be someone who can poke and cares both. ((hugs))

55. tiffmaxee

Take some very deep breaths. Try to relax. If the meter times out, just pull out the strip and put it back in. I have never used the sock or warmed Max's ear. I massage it gently until it feels warm. The Relion is easy to use once you know what to do. Put the strip part way in. Massage the ear. Prick the ear and hold on tight. Max shakes his head every time. Then push the strip the rest of the way in until you hear a beep. It will show you the last test and then will wait about 10 second or so and then you will see the ready sign. Where in your place are you doing the tests? I put Max in a bathroom sink because it is the right height and he can't get out easily. At the beginning he would jump out if I forgot something. Now he doesn't budge. Don't forget to reward even if you don't succeed in drawing blood. He will associate the treat with the process.

Now, to start a new thread, go to the main fdmb forum. You will see a place that reads new topic. Click on it and you will be ready to go. You don't have to do this but every time I go to the main forum and I look at the dates and if it is old often don't look further. I bet others do the same thing. This way you might get more help. Maybe someone will live near you and be able to help. Most of us start a new thread every day. Then when you can click on view your posts you will still see every one that you write. You will find your subject will change as you master BG testing for example and then have different questions.

More deep breaths. It will get better. :YMHUG:

56. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

I, too, got instructions from my vet on how to test. But I don't test the way she showed me. I put Oliver on the sofa and put the meter on the coffee table next to me. Then, I pick an ear and turn it inside out so I can see the underside. I then prick the ear at the edge, about 1/8" in from the edge. I don't so much stick as prick. I use a small gauge lancet. I don't use a rice sock. I just put my finger behind his ear. I haven't pricked myself yet, but it probably wouldn't hurt to put a folded paper towel on the other side of the ear just to be careful. Occasionally, I prick him on the furry side of his ear, but I have found that I can see what I'm doing better on the underside.

Don't despair. The first few times I tried, I was completely unsuccessful and Oliver's ears were bruised and purple. I felt terrible and I thought I would never get it. Then I developed a technique that works for me and it was smooth sailing from there. (I have gone through 150 test strips in the last three weeks. LOL. I am, perhaps, overdoing the testing.) I occasionally miss and have to prick him several times before I get the blood. But he doesn't seem to mind. And really, the Micro requires so little blood that a tiny prick will do it. The Neosporin helps, too. I don't put it on every time I prick, but he seems to like it and his ears seem to heal a little faster.

Please don't get discouraged and give up. Just keep at it and you will get it in no time.

57. Deb & Wink

Oh Honey! We all remember those first scary weeks when we were learning to take care of our newly diagnosed kitty. Big HUGS to you and hang in there, it does get easier.

Yes, it sure can be overwhelming at times but just step away and remember why you are doing this. We can tell you love your kitty Skooter and are just trying to help make him feel better.

It will take time to become proficient at the home testing. Three strikes and you're out applies not only to baseball, but to ear poking. If you haven't gotten a successful test after 3 tries, give Skooter and yourself a break and come back later. Treats all around for both of you for at least trying to get a test. I always treated myself to a nice piece of Dove Dark Chocolate. Hope you have a special treat you like.

58. MollynSkooter

The day after the big first meltdown.....

After reading some great supportive messages on here and taking some deep breaths, I was able to calm down some. As weird as it sounds, I think I kind of needed to have a meltdown just to get it all out. I took the rest of the night "off" and just chilled with my main man, Skooter figuring I could give it another go today.

So this morning was still a bit rough, BUT after several attempts (a few hisses and a few paws trying to bat me away from his ear) I got a small sample, I thought for sure it would not be enough, but much to my relief and surprise, it was enough!!!!! As a newbie, I have no idea why anyone would use anything but the ReliOn Micro, it amazed me that it truly does take less of a sample then the ReliOn Ulitma I got a few days ago. His test this morning was at 413.

When I got home tonight, we had another go at it, and once again, it became very challenging. Just as I was about to give up, I got a little bit and once again, it was enough! (Have I said how much I ADORE the Micro vs the Ultima yet?!) His test at 18:10 was 363. I was flying high, until I realized this is all practice and in preparation for a home curve on Saturday. The idea of testing him for the curve makes me a bit sick to my stomach, but I am hoping with a little more time and practice, I will become a pro. I am just WAITING for the time when his ear learns to bleed and it becomes super simple.

I know his numbers are still high, but we are still trying to regulate him. My vet was almost giddy when I came in to learn how to home test so I could do a curve this weekend. We both decided that we would wait for the results of the curve to see what he needs to be increased to. We are both thinking that he will need to go up to at least 5U 2Xday. From what I have read, this is not necessarily uncommon in a cat who is on Budesonide (for his IBD).

Thank you again for all the wonderful kind words and thoughts that have been sent my way. I am hoping one day, in the not so distant future, I will be reading a post from a newbie on here and be able to shed some light, encouragement and words of wisdom to them, as so many wonderful people have done for me.

Amazing what the support of family, a group of people on a forum and an amazing vet clinic --- all who want to see both Skooter and I succeed, does to a person's mood.

Tomorrow is a new day, and hopefully it is a new day that includes an easier time testing.....

Thanks again to everyone!!! <3 <3 <3

59. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Another trick that can help is to get the drop of blood on your fingernail and test from there. Helpful if Skooter is getting squirmy.

60. Deb & Wink

Deep breathing exercises are highly recommended to help you with the stressful moments of this sugardance.

Deep breath in, hold, release, deep breath in, hold, release, deep breath in, hold, release, deep breath in, hold, release, deep breath in, hold, release. Repeat as needed. ;-)

61. MollynSkooter

So Skooter just wasn't acting like himself yesterday after his shot (he tested 455....so waited a bit and he was still high at 427....

So faxed in my tests from this week as he was a bit water obsessed...so we decided to forgo the curve today and up him to 5U and do the curve next Saturday when he's been on it awhile...

He got 5U last night and when I tested this morning.....254!!!!!!!!!

Not gonna lie, stood up and danced around....FINALLY it feels like all this is working!!!!

Please forgive spelling errors, sending from phone because too excited to go get laptop...had to share!

62. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Now hold it steady for a minimum of 3 days to let the depot stabilize. The depot is formed when Lantus is injected under the skin. It crystalizes and then those crystals slowly dissolve. This genrally takes more than 12 hours, so as 1 dose is waning, the next dose is starting to work. That overlap helps keep the glucose levels very stable.

If the budesonide is daily, there may not be much impact on the glucose levels overall. If, however, it is on an alternate day, or other less frequent schedule, there can be a cycling effect on the glucose. Be aware of that and if you detect that, really monitor nadirs closely on days he does not get the steroid, so he doesn't go too low.

63. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

What time of day do you give Scooter his IBD medication?

64. MollynSkooter

He gets it daily....I normally give it around 10pm

65. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

Oliver is on prednisolone for IBD and I give it in the late afternoon. I can definitely see a spike in his BG several hours after I give him his pred.

Now that you are becoming more comfortable with testing, you might want to test more often and see if you can identify his spike.

66. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That is helpful - many cats actually go lower at night, so it may offset some of the steroid effect.

67. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The board was down most of the day and somehow "ate" your am post. Hope it went okay. I was concerned that you shot under 200. We advise new diabetics not to shoot under 200, but to wait 20 minutes without eating. And retest. You want to be sure the number is rising, not falling and that it is closer to 200. Once you get some data and can predict what might happen, you can shoot lower preshots, as many Lantus users do.

68. MollynSkooter

Thank you for thinking of us :)

I was able to swing home over lunch and tested him real quick and he tested at 313....he actually came to greet me at the door when I came home tonight for the first time in a long time...

I am going to test, feed and shoot him in a few minutes....

I did come up with another question (shocker, I know lol)...

He does still seem a little weak in his hind legs...not overly concerned at this point as he is finally just now testing where he needs to be. I noticed several people suggest I think it was a B12 injection for that....would it be harmful to Skooter to have that if he isn't suffering from neuropathy?

69. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

I think B-12 is fairly benign, but you should ask his vet.

You know, your objective should be to get his BG lower than it is now. It is certainly an improvement, but 300+ ( or even 200+) is still too high. You just need to do it slowly. You don't want to overdo it and put him into hypoglycemia (less than 40.) From my own experience, I know those low numbers can appear very suddenly and you need to be prepared to deal with them. Do you have a hypo kit? You need to keep some high carb food and Karo syrup handy in case you need to raise his BG in a hurry.

Someone with much more experience than I have can walk you through the steps you should take to get his numbers lower. BJM posted a really good message last night, but it seems to have been lost this morning. Maybe she can repost it.

70. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Methylcobalamin, a specific form of Vitamin B-12, may be given orally, sprinkled over food, to help recover from diabetic neuropathy. It is water soluble and any excess would be excreted via the kidneys. It takes time to work and has to be aided by good glucose control.

That said, other causes of weakness in the hind legs include various electrolyte disturbances, such as too little potassium. Before treating, a vet visit is suggested to make sure it is NOT an electrolyte disturbance, as those can be fatal.

71. MollynSkooter

So I THINK I might have finally figured out how to do the spreadsheet thing and attach it to my signature line.

Can anyone tell me how to make it so I am the only one who can edit it?

Thanks!

72. Sue and Oliver (GA)

ThE original document is the one you bookmark on your computer. Only you can edit it. For the one to share with us, first go to the right hand side and choose "Share with anyone with the link". Then on the left hand, choose Publish to the web. A url will come up in the box. Highlight and copy it. Then go back to the forum, control panel, edit signature. Paste that url in your signature.

73. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Hi just jumping in here when Trey was first Dx my DH was doing the testing and I was a basket case ....hate needles . He was always tell Trey how sorry he was he had to do this and was stressed himself..lucky for me and Trey he got called away for a few days. Well cried and pulled up my big girl panties ..took lots of deep breaths and never say you are sorry. They feel your mood...you are stressed and sorry then they feel it is wrong and they don`t want it done. You have to be very calm and surround yourself with beautiful white peaceful light. wrap kitty in a towel and say we are going to help you feel better will only be a smill pick...do it let her go treat done!!!!! 1st time I tried took 5-6 pokes most never touch the ear was so scared did the above and sap done Trey never felt a thing...shortly after that he became my cat. even today he got up on the table laid on his towel and waited for me...I just throw his towel over his shoulder a comfort thing I guess. Its all about your mood...if you can remain calm and then so will try it what do you have to lose....Hugs and peaceful white light and healing green light surround all you furry one and peeps. Hugss Kath :coffee: breath :YMSIGH: cat(2)_steam

You are doing an awesome job ((((Skooter & Mom)))))))))))))))tons of healing green light for an awesome day!!!

74. MollynSkooter

So I do believe I have FINALLY figured out the spreadsheet thing. Could someone click on the link in my signature line and tell me if it works?

I fear I have screwed up Skooter's system as we seemed to be on the right track of getting numbers in the 200s before his little blip at 143 where I then gave him 4U instead of his 5U. I am hoping we can get back to where we need to be soon. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I am rather looking forward to doing his curve on Saturday as I am very interested in seeing how the Lantus metabolizes in his system for the 12 hour period. I am also toying with the idea of doing it after his PM shot and a few times after he gets is IBD medication, just to see how it all goes....we shall see how tired I am by the end of the day :)

On another note, mini milestone at our house.....Before Skooter was diagnosed I noticed he wasn't jumping up on the bed like he used to and would just sit there and wait for me to pick him up....well last night, he FINALLY started to use the stairs I got from my sister and her husband to get on the bed.....I am going to take that as a sign we are moving in the right direction!

I got the rest of the supplies for testing (sock, rice, neosporain with pain relief) and now I will need to go get a "Hypo" kit....other than Caro syrup, is there anything else I can give him? Keep in mind with is IBD, his stomach is VERY sensitive and he basically throws up any food, other than his prescription diet food, so unfortunately I do not think the food that others sometimes use would work with him. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and again, if someone could click on Skooter's spreadsheet link below and confirm it works, that would be great!

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

75. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check how responds to any of these sugar types:
    Dextrose - may comes in packets for diabetics
    Sucrose - table sugar, derived from sugar cane
    Fructose - fruit sugar
    Honey - may contain pollenfrom numerous plants
    Molasses
    Jam/syrup from fruit

For high carb with the IBD, you may have to make up some single ingredient gravies and test each when he is OK to see if they cause problems (check what he eats for ideas).

Basically, take about 1-2 teaspoons of a specific flour (ex corn, wheat, rice) and make a roux, then extend it to make a gravy. Test when you don't need it to make sure it doesn't exaccerbate the IBD

76. FluffBunny

FluffBunny Member

I can get to Skooter's spreadsheet from the link you posted. Good job.

77. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

Sending you and skooter good vibes! I hope your curve goes well!

78. MollynSkooter

Feeling pretty good and proud of myself as probably the most non-computer person I know, I was able to figure out the spreadsheet thing....yes it was done in parts and I screwed up setting it up a few times, but now it is there!

I also have to say I am feeling more confident that Skooter will get back to the low 200s/high 100s soon and be well on the road to "regulation" (as much as he can be)....I am starting to see some signs of my "old Skooter" coming back....the past few days he has greeted me at the door with a few meows, something he has not done since around the time he was diagnosed....

Also right around the time he was diagnosed, I also noticed he had a hard time jumping on the couch and wouldn't even try to jump on my bed. He would simply come sit next to the bed and wait for me to pick him up. My sister gave me a set of stairs they had gotten for their dogs in their bedroom, which they would never use. Skooter refused to use it, in favor of just waiting for me to pick him up....Well he is now back to jumping up on the couch ANDhe is using the stairs to come up on my bed and he goes right to "his spot" that he has had since I got this bed.

His fur has not been this soft and non-dry in I do not know how long AND he is also getting use to the new litter I had to get due to the amount of glucose in his urine (his litter would basically become paste and get stuck in his paws). For the longest time he would only urinate in the litter and do his other business on the cement....he is now using the litter box for both....

I do not want to jinx myself, but I am starting to feel a bit better about all this. While it is still difficult to go this road alone (not having someone here who can share the load of shots, testing, etc) but it is finally starting to feel like all our hard work is finally paying off....

cat_pet_icon drinking24

79. Deb & Wink

Yes! SS (spreadsheet) up and running! Good job!

Isn't it wonderful when you start to see those signs of improvement? Keep it up Skooter! :RAHCAT

80. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You should be proud! Think how much you have learned and accomplished in the last few days! This is such a steep learning curve and you just kept on working. Remember when you thought you were not a good mom? betcha feel better now!

Like the whole cat report. He sounds like he is feeling MUCH better.

81. MollynSkooter

Meltdown #2 tonight....

While I know this one really didn't have much to do with the whole diabetes thing, but I ended the week (and night before his first home curve) with a fur shot :cry:

I arranged my entire weekend around curving him on Saturday, and while it will not be the end of the world to curve him Sunday, it does mean I had to cancel some plans and I am still not sure how "valid" the curve will be on Sunday....

KPassa has been very kind and has given me some encouragement, but am still pretty bummed.....

82. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So, you don't have to do a whole day curve. You can get the same information by getting maybe a +3 and maybe a +7 one day and then a +4 and a +9 another day. What you are looking for is data. Lots of people don't do all day curves. Some like to get different times on different days and put that data together.

Would that be better for your weekend plans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.