Scared Newbie? please read!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by vansplic, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vansplic

vansplic Member

a few weeks ago I didn't know cats could be diabetic. Last night my Itty started on insulin and, outside of here, NO ONE mentioned home testing. When I read about it on here it scared the crap out of me! When I asked my vet to teach me she said to get the hang of the insulin first. I don't do blood or needles and I am HIGHLY alergic to cat bites and scratches... Not to mention fears about hurting my beloved pet. But I knew I had to step up so I got the supplies. Honestly I never thought I would use them but it was a comfot to know I had done my duity as a mom and had them on hand.

I did not manage to master ears last night BUT I was able to blood test on paw pads (not the best option from what I've heard but when you have to...). It saved my cats life! Last night was a really bad night so PLEASE do not think this is normal... however, I went thu a good part of my box of lancets last night making sure I got readings every hour. Itty never mewed, scratched or flinched until her dehydration got so bad I could barely get blood. Even then she only flinched once ans went right back to purring softly. She spent a majority of the night sleeping on my belly (mutual decision... Itty gets cuddly when sick unlike many cats who become more aloof) purring softly. She still loves me. She does not in any way fear or resent me for the many, many pokes last night. It was a far bigger deal for me than it was for her.

I know I am new here and I am still very much a newbie too... and by no means an expert or vet... But please, please if you take nothing else from here learn to home test! I have met several diabetic kitty owners outside of here in the past couple of days. Other than vet techs none of them home test. If it had been their kitty last night it might not have made it thru the night.

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

yea! very important post! thank you!

3. nutterbutter

nutterbutter Member

I, too, am new to all of this. It's only been a couple of weeks since my Nutter was dx. I couldn't agree more about home testing. I finally was able to get enough of a sample this morning to get a reading, and it was 59 AMPS. If I hadn't tested and given him the 2u of ProZinc, it would not have been a pretty picture I'm sure.

Home testing is essential to the care of our sugarbabies.

Linda
    Nutter and Boo's Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.