Scared & Overwhelmed with info

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harriet, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harriet

Harriet New Member

My baby is sick. His name is Sweetie, because he is a sweetie, and I love him very much. Just diagnosed. Haven't even given first shot yet. Done a lot of reading, though. I am waiting for SSI, with no cash. Insulin was given to me by a friend. Lantus. Follow up with vet in 2 weeks, but I have no way to test him. Starting with 1 unit. What if his sugar levels cause problems, in these two weeks? I don't know what I'm doing, but freaking out!!!! My poor boy. Is he in pain?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Lantus is a good insulin for kitties and 1 unit is the recommended starting dose. You don't have to wait for the vet appointment if you want to test him now. Many people use human meters and Walmart's ReliOn brand is very popular. Sweetie might be feeling tired or lethargic from diabetes but isn't likely to be in any pain. If you post on the main health forum more people will see your message. Any any questions there.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Harriet, first Welcome!

Do your friend that gave you the lantus have an extra meter they might consider letting you use? If not, contact Diabetic Cats In Need (DCIN), they can help you get a meter...go ahead and fill out the application for their 'Compassionate Assistance Program' quickly so you can test quickly. Link for your convenience: www.dcin.info

HUGS! We all remember that overwhelmed and scared feeling but diabetes is very manageable, it's just different and takes a bit to grasp all the 'stuff' surrounding it. Post questions - we love questions... :)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.