Scaredy-cat

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

thunderstorms off and on all day. Little is always reactive to loud noises like July 4 th and the occasional smoke alarm ... my cooking not the best lol. All that said, yesterday was awful as the storms persisted. I could just take 1 look at her and know another round was on the way as she senses it way before it arrives. Last night i spent 6 hours with a drooling, hyperventilating feline wrapped around me. This was the worst I’ve seen. I could feel her little heart racing no matter how I tried to comfort her. It was hear breaking. Anyone know of anything safe to give a sugar baby so she won’t have to suffer ?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Feliway works with lots of cats (alas, not mine). Rescue Remedy for pets is also a good one. And my personal go-to: CBD. It helps with anxiety as well as inflammation, pain, and just about everything else. Charlotte's Web is a good one that has been widely used in cats, you can buy it online (or in some pharmacies), and it's legal in all 50 states, so it doesn't matter if your state has legalized marijuana or not. Added bonus: you can take it too to make you feel better when Little is having a hard day :bighug:

3. Lisa and little

Thanks Djamila. I thought about CBD. I have crystals for myself. I could get the liquid ... I guess that is what you’d use for kitty? How would I dose a cat? Lol

4. Djamila

It depends on what strength you get, and how much Little needs. Sam usually gets four drops 2-4 times/day depending on why he’s getting it. It takes some experimentation to figure out how much to give - you start low and add drops until you see the desired effect.

Oh, another idea would be the kitty burrito wrap - sometimes a snug swaddling can help soothe them too (if Little doesn't mind being wrapped). Or being crated with a blanket loosely over the crate (leave a space open for air) to give a dark cave feeling.

5. Lisa and little

Oh she was burrito wrapped all right ... with me under the covers in the weirdest spoon ever. What strength should I start with? That’s the real question. Don’t want to OD her even though o don’t think that’s possible. Would 500 be to strong?

6. Djamila

If you use a 500mg, you would just give less drops. Sam's current tincture is 250mg CBD, and 5mg THC. There is still debate about the safety of THC for cats (it's a big no-no for dogs), but a lot of folks in the pancreatitis group use it for the better pain management it gives, and so far so good as far as cat safety. However, since Little isn't dealing with pain, I think straight CBD would be just fine.

Are you both feeling better now? Are the storms over?

So if you're starting with a 500mg, I think I'd probably give one drop, and work your way up from there. The range of what seems to help cats is pretty broad, so you'll just have to try it and observe. In general people add a drop at a time until they hit a dose that makes them sleepy or relaxed (make sure to give it an hour in between so there is time to hit the system - absorbing through the digestive tract can be slow). Then back off one drop from that point for regular dosing, or go to that point when there is something acute (like a thunderstorm).

There are a couple of ways to administer. If little will let you, the best for absorption is to put the drop in the cheek pouch and let it absorb from there. She has to cooperate though, because you don't want to accidentally squirt in too much. No way Sam will let me do that, so I put a drop on a freeze dried treat, and let him eat them up. That makes for less predictable impact though since it doesn't absorb as well or as quickly. Still works, just takes a little more patience and monitoring.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Mia is very sound-sensitive and a big scaredy cat. I have found that turning the TV on for her helps a little. I think because it creates noise, it keeps her from being responsive to EVERY little sound associated with storms or fireworks. I'm not saying it works when there are BIG, obvious sounds that clearly didn't come from the TV, but it is better than nothing. She was a lot more skittish before I started turning it on for her. I leave HGTV on for her. :)

Djamila likes this.
  8. Lisa and little

Thank you. So just to confirm you can’t really hurt them with too much CBD? As for THC and cats I am not sure however in college I did have a cat that “accidentally ingested “ some THC. Obviously I freaked but my vet wasn’t that worried. I observed her that day and quite honestly she seemed to have a fun day... lol I wish TV worked but not the case here. Anyway I just upped Little to 2.2 and am expecting a possible hypo in the next few cycles. I’m going to shoot through it which means I will need some CBD myself so I’m just warning you guys I’ll be looking for you to advise in the next few cycles.

9. Djamila

Come on, Little, be good for your mama!

It's been awhile since she's given you drama, so maybe she's settling down? We can hope anyway....

I suppose if you gave a way-too-big dose you could hurt them, but as long as you're being reasonable, no. I haven't seen any reports of ill effects in either the panc group or the IBD group. The worst thing I've seen reported was a sleepy cat. A not uncommon side effect of CBD, even for humans.

I just stopped at the pot shop to get some more for Sam, and it turns out that the tincture he's been using for the past few years has changed their recipe. They were super clean - no pesticides, no flavors or additives, extra tests for purity and strength...now they have changed to flavored tinctures which are a no-no for cats. Soooooo I'm going to be trying a new CBD formula this week that is a different strength and different company. So you and I can both be figuring out CBD dosing this week!

And if Little doesn't like regular TV, maybe she'll like this instead:

Eight hours of TV for cats. :smuggrin:

Or this:

That second link is one song from a 2-CD set of music for cats. Atticus loves it so much he curls up and sleeps with the speaker.

10. Lisa and little

Lmao.. she loves tv. Just doesn’t help the panic. My tv is virtually on 24/7. And I was just researching some CBD oils. Be careful of an ingredient called MCT oil ... NO GOOD for diabetics....

Djamila likes this.
  11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

In the CBD for pets group I'm in on FB, someone said that their cat ate an ENTIRE bag of CBD treats once...and all they told her was that she might be dealing with some diarrhea but other than that, the cat should be fine...just a little sleepier than normal. So no, it shouldn't cause problems (other than the diarrhea) if they get too much, though obviously you want to give them just the amount they need and not more.