GA Scooter has gone ahead.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Scooter & Jack, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Scooter was diagnose diabetic on a trip to the Vet in November 2013 for flu like symptoms. His eye’s were clogged with crud and his nose was running but not sneezing. We did blood tests and he came back perfect on everything except his BG was 599. We started him on clavamox for 10 days TID. After discussing with Dr. P we decided on Lantus. After 3 days and numbers not changing we went to Humulin N. Which we charted on his SS. We check his ketones every day on Humulin N always negative.

The humulin was working slightly so we kept him on it. 8 days after starting clavamox the same symptoms came back so Dr. P put him on clindamycin 10 days TID and that worked fast and the symptoms are still gone.

I came on the FD board when I couldn’t get low numbers and BJM helped us out alot and recommended going back to lantus or trying levemir or prozinc. We talked to Dr. P. who scripted levemir pens for us.

Scooter is a black Egyptian Mau who Jack (kitty) brought home in a rain storm. Someone removed his claws so we brought him in and looked for his owners to no avail. We have had the honour of being his human’s for 10 years. His original Vet thought he was about 7 when we got him so he is 17 roughly. He has always lived inside with us. He is a tiny cat only 7.2 pounds at normal weight. We refer to him as “the little old man” since he is so tiny and old. Scooter presently is one of 14 cats who all live indoors.

When we moved to the country 7 years ago we found an amazing Vet Dr. Perry who has taken care of all of our kitties ever since. She is young and has lots of time for patients and humans. All of our kitties love her! We are all on country time. :) She taught us lots about fd and told us about FDMB board. Dr. P and the FDMB board and the amazing folks there are the reason Scooter is still with us! Thank you all!

Update Feb/2014

So Scooter has been on Levemir for 2 months. He had a full dental with two infected teeth that were removed in Feb. We also changed the whole house over to wet food in Feb. Even though I was sure he was not eating kibble. Well within 24 hrs of the change Scooter achieved some amazing numbers then fell in hypo. I stayed up all night with some amazing new friends on FDMB and with their help we saved his little life. He in fact was eating kibble behind my back. As of March 4th 2014 Scooter is OTJ after a 14 day trial. He is the poster kitty for what kibble can do to a kitty!

Update Mar/ 2015

Scooter has been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. His eye is covered in tumors as well as his head. His prognosis is for a happy short life now. His diabetes is still in remission. He is still our little old man.

April 10/2015 Today we euthanized Scooter because pain killers were no longer working and the tumors were growing out of his eye socket and broke through the skin on his head. He had open wounds and he was no longer happy. He spent his last morning in a sunbeam on the carpet in front of his window..RIP little old man. You were one tough little guy. cat_wings>o:(

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

RIP sweet Scooter. I am so very sorry for your loss.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Linda)))))
    Knowing what you have to do and doing it is no easy task. Scooter was lucky to have found you and to have spent the last 10 years of his life in your loving hands. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

cat_wings>o Fly free, Scooter. Rest in peace little guy...

4. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

((((Linda)))) I'm so sorry for your loss. Fly free, little old man. :rb_icon:

5. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Aww, fly free Scooter!cat_wings>o

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss Linda!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Scooter knew he was loved...and loved enough to be released when it was his time. There's no better gift we can give.

Fly free sweet Scooter, and land softly!! There are many at the bridge to welcome you! Send your mama a sign you're there, safe and healthy and will wait for the time when you're together again cat_wings>o

7. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Linda, I'm so sorry, please know that your little old man is now running pain free through meadows of sunshine and butterflies:

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... Author unknown..."

8. Delia

Delia Member

Linda, I am so sorry for your loss. RIP dear Scooter.cat_wings>o

9. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry....Scooter was very blessed to have you has his bean, and I am sure his love is shining down on you now and always....

10. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Linda..I am so sorry for your loss, but as the loving Mommakitty you did the final act of unconditional love by allowing Scooter to get his wings. Scooter was most blessed to have spent 10 years of his life with you, both of you sharing your love. May your happy memories bring you peace at this time.

RIP Scooter

11. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Linda, so very sorry to hear Scotter passed today, sending prayers and hugs to you at this sad time :bighug: Scooter was a very special cat and you must have some wonderful memories of him.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Linda))), my heart is breaking for your loss.:bighug: I've always had a soft spot for the little old man. I will always remember those long late hours when he went off kibble for good. Scooter was such a lucky kitty to be found by Jack and brought to the best of beans where he was surrounded by endless love.

Fly free sweet Scooter - send your momma a sign when you make it to the Bridge.

[​IMG]

13. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

(((((Linda)))))) My heart goes out to you and your family.... Jack is sure one smart kitty- by bringing Scooter into your home, he gave Scooter the best possible life with the bean in the world! Lighting this candle in his honor.
    heartcandle.jpg

14. cat lady

cat lady Member

I'm so sorry about Scooter I had a Scooter once apon a time he was hit by a car at age 2 I. Still think of him

15. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

My heart is breaking for you and your family.....

I hope you will be able to find peace and comfort that he is no longer in pain. He knows how loved he was....

Dear sweet Scooter fly free my sweet friend, and land among your friends at the Rainbow Bridge. Just remember, to send your momma a sign that you made it safely and remember to give her a hug from the Bridge.

XOXO to you and your family.....

You did an amazing job with him and he was very loved....

16. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Fly free Scooter, what a lucky boy to have known such love.

17. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

(((((Linda))))) I am so very sorry that it was Skooter's time. He was a lucky boy, to have you for his bean.
    Liz

18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Linda))))

My heart is truly broken for you, Jack, and the rest of your family. I am so glad Scooter found such a wonderful, loving home and vet and that his "old man" years were as a cherished companion. I'm glad he had these last few weeks as a happy boy and he had a last day in the sun. I know you will miss him terribly; it is always so difficult to let them go but your love for him gave him the last, best gift.

Fly free, Sweet Scooter.

[​IMG]

19. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

:rb_icon: Dear ((((Linda)))), ((((Jack)))),

We are very sorry that it was Scooter's time to begin a new adventure. But he is on his way, his star will shine brightly in the heavens tonight as he glides on his beautiful golden wings to the Rainbow Bridge, where he will be greeted by many old pals. Chefs Mannie and Stu are preparing a welcome banquet in their Bridge Kitchen. Scooter is well and healthy again and he will always be with you, in his special place in your hearts until you meet again.

Fly free, dear old guy. You are much loved. Send your wonderful mamabean and your kitty buddy a sign that you have arrived safely. cat_wings>o

In deepest sympathy,

Ella & Edward, Rusty, and Stu (GA)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. You did one of the hardest things in letting Scooter go so he wouldn't be in pain any more. He was lucky to be part of your family. Fly free sweet Scooter. Sending hugs and prayers.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

To give a cat the best life possible is what we aspire to as pet owners and it's clear here that Scooter had a long, wonderful life surrounded by lots of friends and people whose hearts overflow with love for kitties. I have no doubt that he was thankful for every moment, and I hope he gets the chance to communicate that to you when you're reunited someday. Fly free Scooter!

22. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Linda,
    I'm SO sorry it was Skooter's time to cross. BIG HUGE LOOOOOOOOONG HUG...remember - he's not gone, you just have to hug him differently.

Soar high on your new angel wings sweet baby...

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Scooter was a much loved cat:bighug:

24. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Sending Prayers and Hugs :bighug: in your time of sorrow. RIP Scooter.

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((Linda))))

I am so sorry. Your "little old man" gave it his best and you did the right thing for him -- no matter how hard. What a trooper.

Fly free Scooter and land softly. There are many friends from LL waiting for you at the Bridge who will have you chasing butterflies and sleep with you in the sunbeams until you are reunited with the ones you love best.

26. Vicki

Vicki Member

I am so sorry to hear about Scooter's passing. His spirit is flying free, cat_wings>o
    and the wonderful memories of Scooter will always be with you.
    :bighug:

27. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

:rb_icon:FlyFree Little Scooter! Your beans saw to it that your last days were filled with warmth and love.

Linda, you were such a good bean to Scooter. He will always be part of your heart.

28. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Scooter.
    {{hugs}}

29. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear it was Skooter's time to cross. What a wonderful tribute to him. You were both so lucky to have had each other for 10 happy years. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

30. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Linda. You gave Scooter the best life and looked after your little old man with love and respect right to the end. No one could have done a better job, Scooter was so blessed the day that Jack brought him home :bighug::bighug::bighug:

RIP Scooter :rb_icon:

31. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

A tribute from the heart for a most worthy little old man. Comfort for your hurting hearts and the peace that comes with knowing the love you shared goes on. Truly, a life lived well.

Marilyn and Polly

32. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Your story brought tears to my eyes. Scooter was indeed blessed to have you and the loving home you provided. And you, I'm sure, feel blessed that he was yours for 10 special years.
    Lost our "old man" Magic last Fall. The vet put him down in our sunroom, one of his favorite places. Our three other kitties, Mystic, Mia and Marmalade and my sister and I were all with him. It was beautiful yet so hard. So our hearts go out to you. And our prayers that the good years you had and those memories console you.I have already told the Lord that heaven wouldn't be heaven without our dear pets. So I know we will be with them again. What a reunion that will be!!!!:bighug::bighug:

33. Laura&Chichi (GA)

Laura&Chichi (GA) Well-Known Member

Im so sorry for your loss..what a blessing to have him in your life all those years. He now lives in your heart forever..fly free little Scootercat_wings>o

34. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Linda}}}

I am so saddened to learn of Scooter's crossing. I know how much you loved him. You gave him a wonderful life, and in the end the greatest gift - freedom from suffering. I know you are sad, but I also know you understand it was the best choice for Scooter. Sending lots of hugs and prayers for healing of the Scooter-shaped hole in your heart. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Fly free, sweet Scooter, and land softly. You are a legend in L&L Land and will be remembered for a long time. [​IMG]

35. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know how I missed this.
    ((((Linda))))
    I'm so sorry it was Scooter's time. He was loved and that's what is most important.
    Prayers for your grieving heart.
    Fly Free Scooter.

36. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Thank you Wendy. Without you I never would have had so much time with him. I will never forget how you stayed with me to make sure he stayed alive.

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  37. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Thank you Marje for all you did for me and Scooter. Your kindness is immense.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  38. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Ella your guidance and love gave me 3 more years with him. From the bottom of my heart thank you!
    Yesterday morning I gave him a bowl of kibble. :)

MollynSkooter likes this.
  39. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Thank you Sienne for all your help to give me more time with Scooter. I truly appreciate all you do.

40. Linda and Scooter & Jack

No words for your kindness. Just thank you for his life,

41. Linda and Scooter & Jack

42. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Oh Linda, I'm just now seeing this. My eyes are leaking. I'm so sorry to hear that Scooter crossed - he has a special spot in my heart as the FDMB secret kibble sneaker. He'll always be remembered. You were such a champ that very long 2 days and one night you stayed up all night with him, keeping him safe from hypo.

Scooter was so lucky to have you and Jack for his people.

Fly free little old man. You are treasured and loved.

[​IMG]

43. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. What a trooper he was. I hope memories will be of comfort to you.

Fly free little old man, you will be greatly missed. :rb_icon:

44. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Linda, so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you.
    RIP Scooter.
    Fly free little one.cat_wings>o
    Paula and Michael

45. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry, (((Linda))).
    :rb_icon:
    Fly free, sweet Scooter, and land softly.

46. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Rest well, Scooter.

47. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Julie you have always been so kind and supportive to me and Scooter. Without amazing women who help me like you did I would have lost Scooter 3 or 4 years ago. Thank you.

48. MrZ

MrZ Well-Known Member

Linda, I'm so very sorry to read that Scooter as gone to the Rainbow Bridge. I always get a chuckle when I think about his "carb runs", stealing bread or pasta. He was such a special little kitty and so lucky to have found such a very special and loving mommabean.

Fly free and land softly little Scooter.

49. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Rest peacefully Scooter. I am so sorry for your los. canstock3519052.jpg

50. Linda and Scooter & Jack

You can't even imagine how much you helped me have more time with him. Thank you for you time and kind words.

51. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I can imagine, Linda - i know how precious that time was. I had 2.5 more years with punkin than I would've otherwise. I know how you feel. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.