Scooter is sick - home now, pancreatitis confirmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ry & Scooter, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Hey,

Woke up this morning to do Scooter's AM shot and there are little dry whitish puke spots all over the house. He didn't touch his dinner I left out at about 3AM. He is acting limp and lethargic and meatloafing on the floor. His BG was 232. Haven't given his shot yet because he isn't eating.

I sent Ben off to the pharmacy to get some Ketostix after getting in a fight because he didn't even know what they were or what DKA is... nice to see he cared enough to take 5 minutes and look up something so important... grrrrr...

I just need a checklist of what to do in these situations. Really unprepared for it this morning. Still half asleep.

2. Re: Scooter is sick

Hi Ry
    Sorry to hear Scooter is feeling lousy. Meatloafing is usually a sign of that. The numbers rule out hypo so that's good. Good call on the ketostix too. Does Scooter seem dehydrated at all? That can indicate other conditions, but if he is dehydrated (or not), it'll help us all to know that.

Please let us know on the ketone check...

Carl

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Re: Scooter is sick

Could he perhaps have pancreatitis?

4. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

He might be a little dehydrated but his skin still falls back fast when I tent it.

I don't know if he has pancreatitis.

5. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

He won't pee... ohmygod_smile

6. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

I gave him 1/4 tab of Pepcid and he took 15ml of really watery FF in a syringe... I dont know how much insulin to give him though...

7. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

He could be blocked, could have stones or crystals. I know your money is tight. But if he does not show signs of ketones might want to get him to the vet. They can do an ultrasound for stones and can run a test for pancreatitis its called a fPl test.
    If he blocked it can be a very bad situation in a male cat, could also have a UTI infection. Many possibilities. Please keep us updated.

Terri

8. terri1962

I can`t help with the dosing but someone else will come along and advise.

Terri

9. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

He peed twice in the box between when I went to bed and when I woke up, I just don't think he's been eating/drinking so he's running on empty. I will follow him around for the next while though. If he doesn't eat on his own I guess I'll have to go buy another carrier and take him to the vet on the bus... :YMSIGH: He had an ultrasound on Dec. 23 that was clear.

10. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

No advice from me Ry, just sending be well vines for Scooter.

11. terri1962

Oh how horrible you don`t have transportation and that you have to take a sick cat to the vet on the bus. I have extra carriers, how much would it cost to ship one to you I wonder? I am in Ohio. I know this would not do you any good now but might help in the future. After Scooter gets better PM my and I will see about shipping you a carrier.

Terri

12. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Yeah.. I wish I knew at least one person here. My aunt lived here before but she moved to Alberta in January. I literally have no friends/family nearby who could help me transport. It's terrible, the vet is about 30 mins away too.

and unfortunately it would probably cost more than the carriers are worth, shipping international is awful.

13. Re: Scooter is sick

Ry
    What time is shot time? We'll find somebody who can help with that, but how much time do we have?

Carl

14. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

2 hours ago

15. terri1962

Ry

Have you checked his BG lately? That might help for whoever will help you with dosing.

Terri

16. Linda for Weezer

Ry,

Even if you could get Scooter to eat enough to give his shot, the next one would have to be 12 hours from now. Would your schedule allow that? If not, maybe you will have to skip this one. Are you able to adjust your next shot by this much?

17. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

286 at +2

I syringe fed him very little, I only have a 3ml syringe and no food processes or blender so I had to water it down a lot. I can change his shot time yes.

18. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Im going to try and find my 5ml syringe, I use it for measuring fertilizers for my aquarium but i'll wash it out good. He isnt meatloafing, he is sphinxing with his legs out so I don't know if that means pain too. He's alert and keeps trying to hide behind the couch lol but i can tell he feels crappy.

19. Re: Scooter is sick

Ry,
    How long till Ben gets back with the ketostix? If ketones are present, then food and insulin are really important.
    Carl

20. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

I have them but Scooter won't pee ohmygod_smile I will try to drop him in the box again though

edit nope nothing

21. Re: Scooter is sick

Check him to see if his abdomen seems touch sensitive? Gently.

22. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Nope, he enjoyed the belly rub though lol

he's flicking his tail a lot, don't know if that means anything at all

23. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use the fertilisers syringe no matter how well you wash it. Sorry Ry this sounds like a vet trip ASAP, they can check for ketones there. I wouldn't give insulin or any more food in case they need to operate but the symptoms - from the other side of the world - sound like pancreatitis (which they wouldn't need to operate for). I'm assuming his overnight wees were normal size and he's not trying to wee, i.e. assuming the position but not going.

24. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

I only use it for iron and potassium dosing, I don't see how it would be a problem, I rinse it every time I use it. But I can't find it anyway.

He just puked a little on the bathroom floor, just the food though, not bile or anything.

I will try to get him to the vet if I can... I wish I could afford this... I have to go out and pick up an emergency carrier again, last one broke in the parking lot and that was all they had. Ben went out to pick us up some food cause we have no groceries, I will talk to him about going when he gets back, I have no cash at all for the bus and he took his pass with him.

25. terri1962

Ry

I am so sorry, I wished I lived nearby. Its so terrible to have a sick cat and no resources to deal with it. How frustrating. I would have to think pancreatitis too. I went through it with Lilly my own cat twice and its nothing to mess with.

Terri

26. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Tell me about it, I got lucky last time because Bens parents flew in from New Jersey and had a rental car we used to take him, but now we have nothing... the bus goes near my vet clinic but I need to get a damn carrier before I can go anywhere...

I am going to call my vet and see if I can bring Scooter in this evening but they are only open for another 3 hours

27. Vyktors Mum

Sorry just PMd this but should keep it in the open for everyone to see - cardboard box, it there anywhere nearby you might be able to get a cardboard box big enough for Scooter

28. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

I might be way off here on suggestions, but is there a possibility he is constipated?

Baxter was blocked so bad he had a manual clean out. He keep throwing up a lot & just would lay out on the floor. At times he looked lifeless.

I know all of this is so scary. It's going to be ok, you are so educated in knowing what to do. Scooter is in good hands.

29. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

I have a box if I need to use it

Im just so scared this is going to need hospitalization and expensive stuff... i only have $600 give or take left on my credit limit... the next payment I get from family maintenance has to go towards rent.. blahg!! Im calling my vet right now

There was diarrhea in the box from last night so i dont know if hes constipated

30. terri1962

Ry

If he had runny poo last night he is not constipated, so its not that. I am sorry to say ketones, pancreatitis or liver problems are the culprits most likely.

Terri

31. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Thank you, my vet said he will see him as long as I can get him in before 5:30 when they close, so I'll find a box and pack him up when Ben gets home I guess... I'm in my PJs and haven't even showered... this will be fun

32. Jenn & Baxter

Ok constipation is ruled out. Does your vet offer Care Credit? Some vets in the US offer it not sure about Canada.
    If Scooter will go in the box I would take him in it. Lay a pillow, blanket or towel in the bottom to make it soft. Take one of your shirts with you, just I case he has to stay the night. This will help comfort him.

Go get yourself together before Ben gets home. Quick shower, brush those chompers, throw on some clothes, get out the door.

Update us when you get back.
    Paws crossed its nothing bad.
    Hugs to both of you!

33. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

No but DCIN will be helping me out,

I wish I knew where Ben was, he went to pick us up lunch from Subway and has been gone for over an hour... when he gets home we are taking Scooter to the vet.

34. Vyktors Mum

Good luck Ry will be thinking about you guys today

35. Monica and Atticus (GA)

Monica and Atticus (GA) Member

Good luck, Ry. I'm keeping a good thought for you and Scooter.

36. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Please be careful with the cardboard box. I had a cat that hated to be confined and would escape through a cardboard box with a vengeance.
    And I helped some people look for their cat for 2 1/2 months last year, who didn't live in this county but for some reason decided to use the vet near me, and their cat escaped his carrier as they went to enter through the vet door. It was 2 1/2 months of that cat lost in the woods, and they finally found him right nearby the vet here, where he escaped.
    Does he have a collar with an I.D. and your phone number on it?

I hope everything goes fine, and the vet isn't that expensive for you.

37. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

we are at the vet right now. I used a heavy duty aquarium box and cut vent holes and he is fine. of course he peed in the box...

38. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Personally I would not rule out constipation. My Jesse had runny poo and an X-Ray showed his colon was full which necessitated an enema. When they're constipated, the poo can squeeze by the blockage.

39. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Of course he peed in the box. Nodding sagely. I had a cat once who we put in a box to transport him a couple of blocks via taxi. The taxi driver got really upset when he realised there was a cat in the box. We're saying, no no, he's a very good cat, a VERY GOOD cat. As we said it, I felt a warmth on the bottom of the box (on my lap) and this terrible smell of cat poo filled the car. I was in the back seat, watching the driver's neck go red. Lucky it was a short ride. :cool:

40. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please update us when you can.

41. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

just seeing this, ry - sending get well wishes for the little guy! hugs to you!

42. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

This is posted on DCIN's FB page:

Diabetic Cats in Need
    Update on Scooter. The vet is running a general panel, pancreatitis panel, urinalysis and ultrasound. Scooter will be having an overnight stay at the vet's office and is currently on IV fluids. We will not have any answers until tomorrow. We have started a Chip-In on Scooter's blog page to help pay for Scooter's vet bills which are estimated at $800.00 Please send healing thoughts and donate if you can ~Céline

http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/2011/12/scooter-at-home-with-rylee-in-british.html

43. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good thoughts and feel better vibes to Scooter.

44. Re: Scooter is sick

carolyn
    Thank you for posting that link!
    Carl

45. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you. I've been following and waiting for a post saying how he is. How terrible that it was bad enough to keep him! I hope the dr. is just being cautious.

Melanie & Racci

46. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

I requested he stay the night, he hadn't had anything to eat or drink in 16 hours and still wasn't interested, even in seafood FF, at the vets. He was very dehydrated and I felt it would be better to keep him there than risk him take a turn for the worse in the middle of the night and have to pay emergency fees. Dr Oz agreed.

It was a long wait because there were other emergency patients (a cat with bloody diarrhea) but we did okay. He was still lethargic and uninterested in even moving. He hopped out of the box, laid on the table, and didn't move for the entire 2 hours we were there. The doctor did an in house blood test and urinalysis, thankfully he's not DKA but he did have a really high white blood cell count (28) so it looks like there is an infection somewhere. We won't know the pancreas results until Saturday but I will let everyone know when I know.

He didn't end up getting his AM insulin, but the dr. let me syringe feed Scooter some watery FF, about 30mls, enough that we could give him a slightly reduced insulin dose for the PM. I left him my meter, syringes, insulin, and food. I'm going in to check on him at 9AM, and from there we will decide when he comes home. He might need to stay another night if he's not eating on his own.

Ben tried to provide some comic relief while we waited...

[​IMG]

And the dreaded cone...

[​IMG]

47. Re: Scooter is sick - staying tonight @ the vets

Ry
    Thank you for the update. Sleep well and let us know how he's doing in the AM. The pic with the cup on his head is priceless!

Carl

48. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Re: Scooter is sick - staying tonight @ the vets

I'll try. I wish I had a jacuzzi or hot tub right about now...

Here are better pics of the results

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i don't know how to interpret the lab results but am glad you've gotten help, ry. hang in there.

50. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Ry, catching up on your condo. Sending positive thoughts and healing vines for Scooter and you. I hope he's much better this morning when you visit.

51. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

I really hope Scooter is better soon. Thinking of Scooter, you, and Ben.

52. Jenn & Baxter

It's a new day!
    Here's to Scooter feeling better & he coming home very soon. ;-)

Let's us know when you find something out. (I know you will).

Jenn & Baxter

*Hey Ben, thanks for the pictures. You know how to lighten the mood. Scooter is so beautiful.

53. Linda for Weezer

I'm still sending be well vines for Scooter and watching for updates. :YMHUG:

54. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

sending get well thoughts Scooter's way!

55. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

he is coming home today with clavamox and mirtazapine. he still won't eat on his own and vomited last night but he seems to be able to keep it down this morning so I will keep syringe feeding if it works. won't know the pancreas results until tomorrow so I hope we're not just making this worse by force feeding him. he's been getting his insulin too but I don't know if they've been testing him, maybe an infection in his mouth or something has been keeping his numbers up. his WBC was normal in December.

56. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Please eat and feel better, Scooter!

57. MelanieAndRacci

Thanks so much for the update Ry. Most of his results look like they're in the normal range which is good. Unfortunately I will have to look up the bad ones to know what they mean since I'm not knowledgeable about it. glad it was you that insisted on him staying over. That also is a good sign. I'm sending healing thoughts and good vibes his way. I hope you get some rest and it turns out to be nothing serious.

I love the pictures! He's so precious!

Hugs,
    Melanie & Racci

58. LILandKIT

LILandKIT Member

I was keeping myself updated yesterday, and I wanted to jump in today and say that I hope Scooter gets better soon and that you guys are hanging in....healing vibes and good thoughts sent your way!!

59. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

We are home... he got a shot of appetite stimulant before he left, and the first thing he wanted to do when he got home was use the litter box and eat. Yes, eat. I say the day Scooter stops eating is the day the world stops spinning. I am so glad he's home and feeling better.

[​IMG]

He has Mirtazapine for 4 days and Clavamox for 14. Took him about 5 minutes to get the vetwrap around his IV hole off.

60. terri1962

Re: Scooter is sick - he's home!

Ry

The mirtazapine is given every three days in pill form not sure about injectable I always gave pills, is that how they told you to dose him? Thats how its supposed to be given. Glad to hear he is eating and using the litterbox. Very good news indeed.
    He is such a beautiful boy.

Terri

61. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

He really is a gorgeous cat. Glad to hear he's home.

62. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

oh my bad, its one 15mg pill cut into 4 pieces and one piece every 48 hours.

63. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad Scooter is home and eating. Continuing to send healing and get well vibes.

64. Re: Scooter is sick - he's home!

Ry, thank you for the update and especially for the pics. They really are worth 1000 words. That pic shows us all a "hungry kitty"! Pretty chaotic 24 hours, huh?

Carl

65. Vyktors Mum

I had a heart attack Ry, for a moment I thought the subject line said he's gone. So glad that he's home again and into his food. I wonder if it is a dental issue (but I don't know that that would explain his meatloafing yesterday), if I recall he needs one but you haven't been able to get it done as yet. Vyktor had his done yesterday - seven extractions, including the fangs on one side. The vet was very surprised that so many needed to come out as he hadn't been able to see there were issues with many of the teeth until he got the plaque off.

66. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Oh he's at home and doing great... eating tons, attacking his post, grooming himself... completely back to normal. Haven't checked his BG yet but his shot time is all weird now.

The biggest issue about getting the dental was transportation, my vet is a 20 minute drive out of town and I didn't want to have to take him on the bus... but, after what happened yesterday, I think I might start looking for a new vet. It's not that yesterday went badly, I just felt like honestly not a lot came from it, the bill was huge and we were just sent home like nothing had even happened. And I still don't know why he was prescribed the clavamox... I just felt like they didn't take my concerns for his health seriously at all, treated me like I had no idea what I was talking about... I didn't get a complete answer as to what happened yesterday. It was the complete opposite experience of when I went for his diagnostic visit and tests. I hate to say it, but I feel like I wasted DCIN's money...

67. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

hi all, results are in from the panel, scooters pancreas value (which one I'm not sure) was 8.5 so it looks like it was a pancreatitis attack although thankfully not a severe one. I'll scan the papers next week for the exact numbers.

68. terri1962

Ry

Be careful for it to get worse at anytime. I don`t want to scare you but I went through two bouts of pancreatitis with my diabetic Lilly the second bout I had to have her PTS. Although it is treatable I was not able to pill Lilly at all and she stopped eating altogether. If Scooter stops eating or starts throwing up you need to get him to the vet pronto. He will need pain meds, probably appetite stimulant and IV fluids, not sure what else. Pancreatitis is painful and thats why they will meatloaf and mill around or hide.

Terri

69. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Yup, keeping a close watch over him. His BG took a huge dive today, but he's acting like nothing ever happened... he slept with us all night and he's chilling out on the couch now. Scooter's ridiculously easy to pill, thankfully. I just stick it on his tongue and he swallows it, and I give him a shot of water afterwards to help wash it down.

70. terri1962

Ry

He sounds like such a good kitty and now he sleeping with guys, thats great. :D Hope all goes well and he keeps eating and so glad he is easy to pill. Will be watching for updates.

Terri

71. MelanieAndRacci

I'm so glad Scooter is feeling better! Do you have to give him a special diet that's bland or anything to ward off more attacks? I think I would look into that since he might be prone to another attack. Poor baby. It's such a joy to see the picture of him eating again. :smile:

Melanie & Racci

72. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

No I wasn't told to do anything different with his diet.

Poor boy, the diarrhea from the Clavamox has begun :( It's greenish and very smelly.

73. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis is very painful and so you need to keep 3 things on hand so that you can treat right away at home.
    1. pepcid AC - you can give 1/4tab BID. if you see a bit of slipping appetite, you can try to give 1/4 tab and see if there is a bit of improvement in an hour or so.
    2. pain meds - I kept buprenex on hand all the time because pancreatitis is very painful, as confirmed by humans who suffer from it.
    3. SQ fluids - it's good to keep a fluid kit on hand as quite often, all it takes to scare away an attack is as little as 25-50cc fluids.

My Shadoe was always having issues; she's a gassy girl with an angry inflamed pancreas.

If I ever saw she was a bit 'off' her food, or acting picky, I would try with some forti flora on top first and if no good, I'd try the pepcid. Quite often it helped her enough and she'd eat a bit.
    If still not working, I'd try a small bit of bupe, and it often took the edge off her discomfort.
    As well, I would try a short session of fluids, and she always perked up like a freshly watered plant.

Eventually, I needed to give her the Pepcid BID, and her attacks were becoming more frequent.
    My new vet had me start her on weekly B12 shots, and they worked wonders... no more attacks.
    It's something to keep in mind if you find you are having the same issues more frequently.

So long as you watch for the signs, you can nip it in the bud at home.
    Appetite slipping, try pepcid. Worried about dehydration, start souping all food to get more fluids into him. You can also test his scruff - lift up his scruff and if it does not snap back down quickly, rather slowly slides down, he's likely dehydrated and could use some fluids.
    If you see he is also sitting in a ball, in a meatloaf type position, he may well be in pain and could use a small bit of bupe.

Some info from Cheryl/Winnie:
    __
    Most cats w/ p-titis flare experience a degree of nausea-- which could explain the inappetence. Although
    pepcid can help in mild cases, it often isn't enough for nausea of p-titis.
    I had great luck w/ ondansetron for kitties w/ ptitis and lymphoma. it is very inexpensive prescription med. it comes in either pill or injection. I had easy pillers, so I went that route. The *big* p-titis vets ( zoran,marks, scherk) all recommend its use. If your vet is unfamiliar, i would be happy to post the dosing ranges for you .
    If there is vomiting -- then cerenia shots can really help. They can only be used so many days in a row though.
    and to note, they can be used along w/ the ondansetron. ( and yes you can give the pepcid with both of them. )

If your kitty is not eating, appetite stimulants are often used.
    mirtazapine is a very effective medication and only has to be dosed every 3 days.
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2552

another commonly used med is cyproheptadine.
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_cy ... adine.html

note: appy stims will not work if your cat is nauseous.

There are also various ways to entice your kitty to eat. and that sounds like it is a problem ( although certainly the pred should help-- and getting rid of nausea and pain and appy stims :) more tools the better !
    If you scroll down on the following link's thread you will see a post of suggestions for appy enticements:
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26965

Pain control for p-titis is extremely important. buprenorphine is a med that is commonly used for kitties with this problem and is very effective. If your cat has p-titis it is generally assumed to be in pain. Sometimes the only way to know if treating pain will be effective is by trying. Please talk to your vet about this.
    You can refer him or her to this by margie scherk, dvm:
    Feline Pancreatitis: Underdiagnosed and Overlooked
    Margie Scherk, DVM, DABVP (Feline)

Analgesia is of critical importance in the comfort of the patient, but also in the progression of the disease/inflammation through the negative physiological effects of pain. Pain causes disease and prevents healing. Even if obvious abdominal pain isn't present, use a "test dose" of 0.1-0.2-mg/kg oxymorphone IV to see if the patient improves over the approximately 6 hour effective period. If that is the case, then constant rate infusion of a narcotic may be considered or a transdermal fentanyl patch (DuragesicTM) for continuous relief. TorbugesicTM is not as effective for visceral pain as the opioid agonists are.

in other words, buprenex or fentanyl patches are best options for home care.

I would highly recommend B12 injections. they can be given in the fluid port or separately.
    again very cheap. big bottle I pd only 5 bucks.
    here is link from texas on that for GI disorders. The Lymphoma, IBD and p-titis vets all recommend.
    http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/c ... nformation
    If any anemia is also present, I would also use a multi B vit injectable ( these sting so best w/ the subQs)
    also inexpensive. There is not enough B12 in them for GI therapy. You don't have to worry about giving too much B12. Multi B's can also perk the appy.

denosyl is a powerful antiox and can help the p-titis and GI issues as well as be a prophylactic for a kitty who is in danger of HL from not eating. If the liver looks like it is an issue, then I would use the denamarin. Try to dose this as far apart from pepcid as you can. It has a thick coating and needs some acid for the thick outer coating to dissolve in the gut. We had a few whole pills show up in the LB. The folks at nutrimax suggested smashing the pill and giving immediately. we would lose a little potency, but enough and better than coming out whole ! just something to make sure you look for in the LB if you use denosyl or denamarin.

prozyme is a veg. based prebiotic and helps to break down food and ease digestion. i recommend that too.
    and if there is diarrhea ( and with gi issues, some probiotic like culturelle or fortiflora can be of help )

The thing w/p-titis flare, is it really needs to have all the *guns* thrown at it to knock it down.

Sub Q Fluids are a key component in treating p-titis flares. (s. Marks, dvm has it on top of his list, as does scherk who states : "Therapy for pancreatitis is determined by the type of pancreatitis. Fluid therapy and pain relief are the cornerstones in supportive care. Sustain blood and plasma volume, correct acid-base and electrolyte disorders."

ETA: some links

Chronic pancreatitis (or does my cat have a pepcid deficiency?)
    Pancreatic function
    Idexx Treatment for Pancreatitis

74. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Thank you, I will refer to all that info if I think it's happening again. For now he seems his perky usual self, but I have pepcid and mirtazapine on hand in case. I don't have anything for pain relief or fluids but I'll try to get something if/when I can afford it.

Edit: I ended up giving him 1/8 of a pill of Mirtazapine, at least to get him going for the next few days.

75. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

That's fine, and so glad to hear the attack has passed.

Just watching for signs and giving the pepcid and lots of water in foods will help a great deal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.