Sd code free HI message

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rgo7777, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rgo7777

Rgo7777 New Member

Hi guys my cat Honey was tested at home today 5.5hrs post insulin. Meter said hi. I tested myself and it was 7 so I assume it was working okay. Now I think il need to take her back to the vet to get them to test her. They didn't want to see her for 2 months but that test is really worrying me now. Especially as she's on low carb food now. Thanks in advance. Ps she is hard to work with so I don't get to test often. Thanks

2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

When you get an unexpected number, either high or low, it's good to test again if you can to make sure it wasn't a dodgy strip - the test you did on yourself and that 7 was ok (normal) because it was a different strip. It sounds as if Honey is tricky to test but persevere if you can, you do need to collect some bg data to see how the insulin dose is working. If you can practise testing to get a curve - bg numbers every two hours during the cycle - it would be better than taking her to the vet for testing, where stress is likely to make her bg even higher.

Right now though, the HI is concerning, although it's hard to say much else without any further data or info. Are you testing for ketones? My suggestion would be to try to get a couple more tests in this cycle and if you can't, or if bg is still HI, seek vet advice as soon as you can. It may be that the insulin dose needs to be increased, but also it would be wise to test for ketones - not something you want to risk.

Rgo7777 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.