Seeking Metacam pain med info?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

I'm interested to hear what others know about this pain med. LB has been prescribed it for non specific problems. He seems to have pain in his back area but we don't know more at this stage. Vet wants me to start him on .05 x 2 then .05 each day. Is this the best pain med available?

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

See this thread in Think Tank:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22322

Repeated use of metacam (meloxicam) has been associated with kidney failure and death.

3. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

We have used Metacam for isolated events (such as pain management after a surgery). We haven't used it long-term or repeatedly on the same cat; but have used it for isolated pain management for a few days with good success and no ill side effects. However, as most prescriptions, I would be very sure to follow your doctor's advise ensuring to give the proper dosage.

4. Anyname

Anyname Member

Just not sure because would like to give LB something for a few days to see how he goes. It's the oral liquid and we have to start it with a double dose. Two shots of 0.5mg/ml first day down to 0.5 per day. Basically we don't know what's wrong with LB. But since the vet visit today and follow up reading on here I think we need to investigate the possibility that it's pancreatitis and I need to discuss what I read about Metacam on Think Tank with the vet. He got a bit huffy when we told him about bg testing but he's gotten over that - so it will be back to renegotiating our position. Just gotta keep our wits about us with all this.

thanks people!

5. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

I dont think the drug company could make it much clearer...Do not use in cats is listed on the client info sheet in bold. It is also listed multiple times in the insert.

Im glad you are spending time researching it so you can make an informed decision. I did not do that for Latte 3.5yrs ago and she ended up in acute renal failure, fighting for her life for many weeks. She ended up w/ one partially working kidney when all was said and done.

It sounds as if LB already received a shot? If thats the case it would not be recommended to give any more (see black box warning). Dosing is a huge issue, as the vets in the US use a higher concentration, but neglect to take that into account, thus od'ing. This issue is addressed in a dr doctor letter sent to YOUR Vet and all others around the country. There is very little room for error when dosing metacam...VERY LITTLE. You do not just dbl a dose.

Please read some of the stories of other pet owners w/ cats who died or developed chronic life threatening conditions in the link in my sig (metacam kills), read the inser listed in the think tank again, ask your vet for alternative pain medication (buprenex is common for pancreatitis). Finally, ask yoursel...is it worth the risk? Have I tried all other SAFER options? Is this truley our last resort? Then, make your decision.

If you chose to go w/ it MAKE SURE you are using the correct dose and become familiar w/ what symptoms to look for in case of an adverse reaction. And DO get full labs done before starting to make sure your kitty does not already have renal issues. You will need to get regular labs while using it.

6. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

In my personal experience with a cat that had repeated pancreatitis flare ups over a period of three years, Buprenex was our pain med of choice. Like Metacam it was given orally and absorbed through the mucous membranes in the mouth but others have injected it subcutaneously with positive results.

Did your vet run a blood panel to ensure that the renal values your cat currently has are fine? I ask because even before the recent black box warnings came out, Metacam has been well known to cause kidney issues in cats. So not only baseline testing but follow up testing should always be recommended when a vet insists upon using it longer term. Buprenex does not have the same issues.

7. Anyname

Anyname Member

Thank you both very, very much. No I haven't used Metacam yet. I am very lucky that I picked up a comment about it whilst trying to find out about LB's state of health.

We are basically on the trail to find out what is wrong with LB. The vet was most interested in his allergies yesterday - chewing off his lovely coat. However DH and I feel there is something else wrong with LB. (weight loss and lethargy) Vet mentioned pancreatitis blood test. However all the blood tests he suggested amounted to $880 so I decided to come home and talk to the group about LB. Picked up a negative comment on Metacam whilst reading about something else - I hadn't used it as wanted to see how LB went with antihystimines first off. Basic rule of medicine is to not start too many new meds at once. After reading about pancreatitis it sounds like the glove could fit. Need to make sure vet does the right blood tests for it - also any other diagnostic advice appreciated.

Thank you so much for input. Of course I won't use the Metacam. I didn't see the bit about not giving it to cats. I read the thread on Think Tank. It was difficult to find the information. The box I was given had no info about it. They probably remove it so as not to worry us. <yikes> Little Boy not bad enough at this stage to give him something that is harmful. I don't want it to be a case of "the cure is worse than the disease".

thank you , thank you - MUCH appreciated!

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Quick note re allergies and hair chewing...a few possible causes:

1what food are you feeding
    2 check for mites and fleas
    3 behavioural
    4 hyperthyroid
    5 pain

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.