Serena (Fluffy Face) and I are back...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Fluffy Face, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

Back again. Our testing and results have been frustrating so I haven't been keeping up with my spreadsheet or this forum, which I totally should have been. I just updated my spreadsheet with the past couple weeks of readings, although I wish I still had readings from before that when I was giving her a higher dose. All there would be to see though is higher numbers, basically all in the 300's. As you'll see from before she was OTJ for a bit, she wasn't needing much insulin, and when she had to get back on it, higher doses were not working for her.

I just CANNOT understand why I can't get her levels down again like before. I can't imagine she needs less than .2 or .1 of a unit.

I took her to the vet Tuesday for a general checkup and a titers test. My vet wants to do a fructosamine check, and I'm extremely reluctant to drop $100 on a test that is going to tell me no more than what I already see. I could understand doing one if I wasn't already testing her 2x a day, but she insists it will give us a better idea of how controlled her diabetes is. A big reason we need to make sure she's stable is that she has bad teeth, and I understand that she needs to be in good condition if being put under anesthesia.

I know I need to do a curve, and I'm planning on one this Sunday. I'll also be trying to get more mid-cycle numbers in the evenings and on the weekends.

I'm so frustrated with the fact that I'm not getting results like the first time around. I love my furry baby, but she's making it hard to do things like take vacations! :banghead:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've had a look at your SS and am wondering about a few things:
    1. In December (12/10 and 12/11) you got some nice blues at a dose of 1 u BID. Is there a reason why you dropped the dose to 0.5 u on 12/11 PM when the PMPS was a red?
    2. There's another drop in dose to 0.2 u starting 12/12 even though the PSs are high enough for more insulin. Was she showing signs of being too low?
    3. On 12/19 PM you increased to 0.6 u even though the PS was about the same as others when you gave 0.2 u. Was there a reason for this change?
    4. You've been giving 0.2 u for about a month now and the PSs sometimes suggest that this dose is OK but sometimes it looks like a bit more insulin is needed. Is there any way you can get data between +3 and +7 to see what this dose really does over the cycles? Could you do a curve on a day off? Can you get a before bed test most evenings?
    It's very hard to offer any advice based on what the SS shows. If you could fill in some BG gaps that would be very helpful.

3. Fluffy Face

Fluffy Face Member

I'm pretty sure I suspected she was bouncing at the higher doses. I know that was a rough time (after she'd gone to the ER for ketoacidosis) and I was frustrated with the numbers...

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

With few mid cycle numbers it's really hard to know what's happening. Are you home on the weekend to do curves sat and sun?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.