Serious help needed for Husband's cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA), Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey everybody, Shaak is great.

I am wondering if you guys could check out the feline diabetes facebook page, I posted a video of my husband's cat Tiger there, can't figure out how to post it here or even save it to my computer, uploaded it to facebook by my phone.

We need to figure out what to do and quickly before Tiger's ear gets any worse, it is swollen up like a balloon. He tried to lance it but hardly anything came out.

Any ideas.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Would you be able to email the photo to me if I PM you my email address, Cathie? I could upload it here for you then.

Mogs

3. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I will try, what is your email address

4. Critter Mom

Sending you a PM (I never post it in the public domain).

5. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

It won't load to an email, I am trying to upload it and it won't upload

6. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I can't see anything on FB, but if the ear is that swollen, I would call the vet.

7. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I am trying again now

8. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

He already took him to a few vets, no one will treat it without money up front and My husband has no job and I support two kids and have a diabetic cat off of $888 a month. So no vet will help.

9. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

are you saying the video is not uploaded, I see it when I log on to facebook on my computer and on my sons computer and on all our phones

10. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Olive & Paula likes this.
  11. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I just reposted it, I had it set up for Tucson area only

12. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

it is still uploading, jeesh, I wish I could figure all this out

13. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Unfortunately with FB if you are not a "friend" it will not show. You could try making it public

14. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I am trying that now, taking a LOOOONNNNNNGGGGG while to upload.

15. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I finally saw it, and it does look bad. I really don't know what to suggest except what's below.

Has Tiger been in any cat fights lately? Does it look like an abscess? Could he try holding a warm compress on it? I've never tried to do that to a cat, but it can help for people.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I can't see it but it sounds like an aurel hematoma.

17. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

18. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

that is what we think it is, is an abscess, but he tried to lance it and it did not work

It oozed a bit of blood and plasma but that is all

19. Tuxedo Mom

I saw the video.... with that amount of swelling I would say go to the ER...that ear is just HUGE!!!

20. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

what is an aurel hematoma

21. Tuxedo Mom

22. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

They won't take him in, no money.

23. Tuxedo Mom

How long has the ear been like that?

24. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

he did not let me know about it until yesterday but he said it was puffy about four days ago, but it swelled up like this overnight. I have called humane society but no one answered, I sent a message to them on Facebook but the autoresponse said no one was in to respond until later, did not say when.

25. Sharon14

Hematoma- damage to the blood vessel in the ear- it would be full of blood. I'm not on FB so I can't see the pic. It's usually caused from scratching ear mites.

26. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I have to go and get my kids and cook dinner, but I will be back. I am going to call some more ER vets and see if anyone will take him

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

he had another cat in the house a couple of weeks ago and said that cat actually had ear mites. Jeesh, I certainly hope I don't bring them home on my clothes to Shaak.

28. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

I second this. To my knowledge the only way to treat that is surgically and then usually a drain is put in to force out the remaining puss, blood and infection.

29. Critter Mom

30. Sharon14

Yes looks like hematoma. Draining it is best, but I've had a few ferals where that was impossible and they were fine, just had disfigured ears. I did add antibiotics to their food and was able to get some Revolution on them to treat the ear mites. You do need to treat the cause which is usually ear mites. There are some treatment options online, such as draining with sterile needle, but I've never tried that so can't recommend it

31. Critter Mom

The first thing that struck me was that it may be as a result of an infection from a bite, possibly from a rodent. When I was growing up Mother Cat got bitten on the ear by a rat. It became infected and her ear swelled up badly because it abscessed, though not as badly as the above. Had to take her to the vets for treatment IIRC. Her ear was never straight afterwards but other than that she was grand.

If it is infected then Tiger'll need antibiotics as well as treatment to sort out the swelling. Any joy from the Humane Society yet, Cathie?

:bighug:

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  32. MsBliss

MsBliss Member

You need a proper diagnosis. Whether it is a hematoma or an actual infection is a big difference. An infection would look like there was a wound that closed up and has swelling under it. An infection might also have a foul odor, and will drain easily if lanced in the right compartment of the infection, which is tricky to nail down. A hematoma will be firm, not very tender or sore, and slowly go down on it's own. My neighbor had a golden retriever who had an aurel hematoma, and it resolved on it's own; but with cats, it could be the result of scratching from ear mites or other little irritants that will need treating. Do not try and lance it. If it's infected, that's a different story. You will need the help of a trained medical person.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  33. Sieden

Sieden Member

That's a hematoma for sure. Peanut had one and I took him to the vet. The vet said that since it wasn't that bad to just leave it alone but that nearly all hematomas heal on their own anyway. They can be caused from the cat scratching his own ear or by playing with another cat, either way it's caused from trauma. Try to drain it if you can and if you can't then try putting a cold pack on it. Cold can reduce swelling and help with pain.

34. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Well, it is not sore to the touch, it is firm, not soft and apparently he does have ear mites from a cat that stayed there over a week ago. Tiger is not meowing or upset except for when Jake tried to lance it, He has put Neosporin on the ear where he tried to lance it and we will check it again tomorrow, if it still does not cause Tiger any pain I will wait till Monday and hope Humane Society will at least look at cat and tell us for certain. However, sounds to me like a Hematoma from ear mite scratching. He will have to find some sort of medication to treat the ear mites, anyone know of a way to do that without vet intervention.

Thank everyone so much for your quick response. I knew I could depend on you guys here. God bless you all.

35. Chris & China (GA)

36. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Someone has stepped forward and said they will pay for me to take Tiger to the Vet. I am not posting who it is unless they want me to. I am so thankful and relieved. I have been trying to convince myself it will go away, but so worried.

37. Chris & China (GA)

What a wonderful gift!!

The people in this group are the most compassionate people I've ever seen!!!

38. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here is some info on them from the Merck Veterinary Manual online.

39. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

They are!! I plan on giving back to my community with my time as much as I possibly can. Over and over the last three months people here have been there to help me with Shaak. Now Shaak's companion of 12 years is sick and they even step forward to help him. I could not even ever possibly dream of such kind hearted people. I don't have hardly any money to speak of, but I will forever give of my time to give back to community and if ever I am no longer poor I will give of my money till it absolutely hurts. Prayers are answered here constantly, over and over again! I honestly believe God has put FDMB on this earth to do good will for the world.

40. Critter Mom

Cathie, I'm so pleased and relieved that you and Tiger have found the help you so badly need. Sending prayers of healing for Tiger and prayers of thanks and deep appreciation to the Angel who is helping you. May the care and kindness they have shown come back to them threefold.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

41. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm just seeing this, Cathie, and I'm glad he's getting her to a vet.

I've never seen so many amazing people in one place as this board.

:bighug::bighug:

42. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Thank you to whoever stepped forward to help Tiger and Cathie!! If it is a hematoma Tiger will be fine in no time. My girl Murphy had one about 8 years ago, aside from me occasionally calling her "ol crooked ear" she was no worse for wear after the vet took care of it. I wish I could tell you that is what her's looked like, but I was out of town for work when she had it.

43. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sure looks like a hematoma. My Gray Ghost had one. It can be cause by ear mites since those can cause excessive scratching of the ear. The treatment is draining the ear but that is not easy since the blood is clotted and really does not drain easily. See:
    http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/aural_hematoma.cfm
    For my Gray Ghost the hematoma was surgically drained and stitched up

44. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Check with your local animal control or humane society to see if the can recommend a low cost vet. Some of them are income based and offer their services for free or very low payments.

Critter Mom likes this.
  45. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Such kindness! Let us know how tiger does at the vets please!

46. Critter Mom

This is a truly amazing group of people. My cat has just been through a very tough time after having an intraocular haemorrhage. My own health is poor so trying to get through an average day is very challenging but after Saoirse's eye started bleeding so much that could go wrong did go wrong, but the loving kindness and support we received from the genuinely wonderful people here got us through it all. We would not have made it without them and I will never forget it to them as long as there is breath in my body.

:bighug: FDMB :bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  47. Critter Mom

Sending more prayers and healing thoughts for Tiger and some :bighug:s for the beans.

Mogs

48. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

The vet said Tiger had a hematoma and that it was caused by a severe bacterial infection, they drained it and gave him an antibiotic and steroid injection and some steriod ear wash calle T8- Keto flush, clavamox and Onsior for pain and inflammation. While I don't think we will ever know for sure what caused the infection I am so relieved to have it cared for. Right now Tiger is resting comfortably and soon it will be time for his dose of Clavamox. He hates pills so that will be an experience. He has even purred since getting home. I will post pictures later. I will never be able to repay our kind benefactor enough, all we can do is do as much for others as possible and that we shall do. I would have been hospitalized with stress and anxiety without the care and love we have received from FDMB these past few months. Thank you everyone for being such good caring people, I feel privileged to call you all friends.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  49. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Glad he's home and on the mend :)

50. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Cathie,

Just when I think this group cannot possibly be any more wonderful than it already is, somebody does this. So nice to hear that Tiger is healing, and you no longer have to stress over that ear. I was grateful for everything I've learned here, but the support I have received when Peek-a-Boo passed has been the biggest, most unexpected blessing I could have ever received. I, too, feel privileged to have my FDMB friends.

51. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

So glad everything is look much brighter now!! Thanks for keeping us posted.

52. Critter Mom

Great to hear that Tiger is on the mend, Cathie! Wishing him a smooth and speedy recovery. (And thanks again to your Angel!)

Mogs

53. Critter Mom

How's the patient today, Cathie?

54. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

doing well. has almost figured how to get collar off. they did not say how long to leave collar on though, I will call them about that today. He spit up his pill, we just regave it to him, and followed with a few extra squirts of water. All in all we are doing well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  55. Critter Mom

Thanks for the update, Cathie; I was worrying about you all. I'm glad to hear that there were only some minor hiccups today. Will continue to send prayers and healing thoughts for Tiger.

Mogs

56. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

I'm so so glad that you got kitty looked at and that things are looking up :) it's lovely when people rally together!

57. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

So wonderful that an Angel came to help you with kitty's ear! Glad Tiger is home and doing well, now. Hugs and healing vines to you, your husband and Tiger, and many special blessings to your Angel! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

58. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

WP_20160503_20_13_01_Pro.jpg Tiger is feeling pretty good tonight!

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  59. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

60. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Glad he's feeling better!

61. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

@Marje and Gracie with all the posts coming in on this thread so quickly I only just saw where you posted on Saturday. Tiger is much much happier now! I personally worry about him because I am only seeing him a few times a day, but Jake is keeping me up to date and Tiger seems extremely pleased and happy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  62. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm so glad he's better and got some vet care. That poor ear looks wicked.

63. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I had never seen anything like it. It felt and looked like a mylar balloon puffed up all the way!

64. Critter Mom

So glad to hear that Tiger's feeling better in himself. Sending special get-better-soon scritches.

Mogs

65. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I am just getting into the story and sending truck loads of healing vines, and warm luvs to both of you...

66. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

I had clavamax but they gave me it in liquid form for my cat. Wonder why the gave you pills instead of liquid?

67. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

clavamox liquid has sugar in it

Critter Mom likes this.
  68. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Tiger is progressing quite nicely. Nothing to really report, he seems totally back to normal.:joyful:

69. Critter Mom

Really pleased to hear the good news about Tiger, Cathie. :)

Mogs

70. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

That's wonderful! :):):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.