Serra & Stitch 2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Serra, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serra

Serra New Member

Hi I’m Serra and my cat’s name is ‘Stitch 2’. His brother is ‘Stitch 1’— both age 18. FYI Stitch 1 was recently diagnosed with stage 2 renal failure and so I put both cats on a renal food since they eat together ~

Stitch 2 was just diagnosed with diabetes 3 days ago ~~ all other points on CBC were normal. He started exhibiting signs of walking on his hocks about 10 days ago~

I am trying to learn how to do a tight regimen to get his levels down asap and stop the insulin ~

He has been changed to fancy feast ‘seafood feast’ wet food and started with glucose level of 432- he has been givin 2 shots of 2 units each - 1 last night and 1 this morning each at 8oclock respectively— which bring him to 250 2 hours later.

Glad to find this forum! My son weaned his cat off of insulin ~ hoping I can too.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Serra and welcome to FDMB. I'm sorry to hear about Stitch 2's diagnosis, but this disease is very treatable and many cats live long and healthy lives. Yes, the ultimate goal of treatment is remission and having a diet controlled diabetic cat, and we really celebrate here when that happens!
    I don't know how familiar you are with feline diabetes, possibly more than most of us at the beginning since your son cared for his diabetic cat. It might be helpful for you to review the Getting Started and Education sections on the Home page to give you some basic information and fill in any gaps that you might not have previously known.
    There are three basic components of effective feline diabetic care, just like with humans: proper diet, insulin therapy and blood glucose testing. It appears that you have already altered the diet, are using insulin and already home testing?

Going forward it would be very helpful if you would create a signature so that Stitch 2's pertinent information is available when you post. We also use a spreadsheet that is linked to the signature to record all insulin shot and testing data.
    1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    2. Using the spreadsheet, you will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

You can post general health questions such as for more food suggestions or for home testing help for example, in the Main Health forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    We have a few members that are in the same boat, either with a diabetic with renal issues or one of each like you, so there are discussions going on that you might find interesting and helpful.

You can also read information about the insulin you are using in the specific insulin support group and post there for input or advice from the more knowledgeable and experienced members using that insulin.

Let us know how we can help further and best wishes as you learn the "sugar dance" :cat:

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Serra and Stitch 1 and Stitch 2 :):bighug:.

4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome! Lots of support here for you and your fur baby:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.