Severe Constipation Issues and Low Residue Cat Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Recently, Kee Kee had to be cleaned out at the vet again. It is traumatic and costly. We are currently trying IAMS Low Residue Dry food (in addition to meds). He loves it.

It is expensive. Does anyone have experience with it? or another brand?

Thank you!

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Hi Cat,

what were you feeding keekee before? I would be concerned w/ the dry b/c fluid intake is so important for kitties who get constipated. Does keekee get fluids?

Winnie was on HIll's ID prior to her FD dx. It is a prescription low residue and did not help w/ her constipation issues.

What meds / supplements have you tried?
    Winnie had pretty severe constipation. I added water to her canned food and a little psyllium. she also got lactulose and cisapride. and was on sub q fluids for many things. but it sure helps the lactulose work better.
    cisapride is not cheap as it has to come from a compounding pharmacy. It is a prokinetic . The price would sure beat trips to the vet though. If a softner alone is not doing it , you probably need something for motility. sorry kee kee is still having such difficulties .

here is a link for merck manual on various treatments for constipation (note for all animals. make sure read fine print to see if safe for cats) :
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 190308.htm
    and the prokinetic info:
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 190307.htm

Here is the FD wiki page on constipation. There is a nice chart of various treatments :
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation

you ready for the storm? take care.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Thank you Cheryl!

Kee Kee was eating the same low carb canned food that I buy for Sweet Max. After the last hospitalization and cleanout, the vet gave me a sample bag of the Iams Vet low residue good. He loves it, but everyone would LOVE dry if I fed it to them...LOL.

He does not get fluids. He was getting Miralax and Lactulose prior to the last cleanout. He now gets Lactulose and Laxatone. And he was on Clavamox for one week.

The vet bills are killing me. I don't understand how these animals get so sick.

Hugs, Headbutts, and Healing!

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

4. colleen and spades

colleen and spades New Member

You might want to try Natural Balance dry brand (Dick Van Patton---limited ingredient, allergy type). My cats are not severely constipated, but when we use this food they poop like crazy. I actually have a bag now that we are not eating at the moment (have 2 old finicky CRF kitties), be happy to send you a sample(it is kinda expensive)---where are you?

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. ephan88

ephan88 New Member

Cat & Sweet Max.....are you still doing the iams low residue? Is your cat diabetic also with megacolon? (I'm assuming so bc you're on this forum) I am just wondering how this diet is still working for you cat?? Is your cat also on insulin? Do you know is this is a low carb diet that works well for the diabetes? Please let me know for I am going through the same issue with my cat and have tried everything. at this point the vet bills and food bills have been getting ridiculous.

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi @ephan88 . This is an old thread and the participants may no longer be active to answer your questions. Why don't you start a new thread here in the Health forum with your questions. I'm sure there will be some members that can help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.