Shanti doing better this morning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shantismom, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shantismom

Shantismom Member

Last night I posted that Shanti was not eating, he had a shot but didn't see to want to eat. I had the same problem in the morning. He went to the vet yesterday, had fluids, baytril and an appetite stimulant. Came home ate really well but later was back to not wanting to eat.
    With the advice of the people here I just gave him anything he would eat including food that is only for our other cat. He did finally eat some food, probably 1/3 his normal amount but with all the small amounts he ate it is hard to tell.
    He ate some in the night and this morning seems normal. He ate his regular amount, and behaved like his normal self.

this morning his AMP was 309 and I gave him his normal dose of insulin which is near 3 units.
    He actually had the BG done at 11 hours so I could give him time to see if he would eat.
    Someone suggested that the Baytril could cause stomach upset so I have a call into the vet to see if I should just skip that. I will not give him another one until I hear from her. He did take Baytril about a year ago with no problems but things could change. I am not sure why he is on the Baytril anyway unless she felt his teeth looked bad enough that he could have an infection. He has some teeth that don't look good but with athma, being diabetic and a heart murmur the vet really doesn't want to put him under anesthesia unless there is no recourse.
    Guess that is all the news for now

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Are you anywhere near a veterinary college? If you were, a consult there by you or your vet might be worth it to see if there were any advanced veterinary anesthesiologists who could prepare a protocol for Shanti to optimize his safety. There are number of techniques they can use, including regional nerve blocks which may reduce overall sedation.

If his mouth isn't painful, brushing his teeth may help.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Marlene,

I'm really glad to hear that Shanti is eating again. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.