? Shelley's BG faster drop?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anthony Morgan, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Last night 3.5 hours after her shot Shelley started to drink a lot and gobble food and her demeanour changed, she seemed agitated and had very dilated pupils. I checked her BG and it was 3.7. Because this was ahead of her usual nadir of 4 to 6 hours I fed her some Gourmet Beef & Tomato in sauce and rechecked her BG after half an hour and it risen to 8.6.
    Her pre shot number was 22.6 so that was a really big drop in 3.5 hours.
    She had only eaten a small amount before the shot despite my encouragement, so I don't know if that was the cause but I have reduced her dose today from 1.0u to 0.75u.
    Just wondering if I have done the right thing or should I have continued with 1.0u?
    Thank you for reading!

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Good catch on the drop. The 3.7 was not dangerous but definitely getting lower than you want when using a pet meter when it could be falling further.. I think you did the right thing with the reduction. With Vetsulin you want to look at both the preshot number and especially the nadir (lowest) number. Surprisingly Shelley did not bounce from that 3.7 (67 US) which is great. Hopefully her body is becoming more acclimatized to being in lower healthy numbers. The Gourmet Beef & Tomato in sauce seems to have raised her numbers quite well and fast, so that is good information to have.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Thank you Mary Ann, good to hear from you. Things had been fairly calm for a few days until last night and then its back to worry again!

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Anthony with the amount you test Shelley will be fine. Even that 3.7 was not a serious hypo number although since she started showing some signs of agitation and pupil dilation it was good that you caught it and got her numbers back up. Responses to insulin and dosing can change even each day, which is why the home-testing is so important. And if Shelley is like my two, it is usually the night time cycle when they decide to throw out a curve ball. :rolleyes:

5. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Yes, that does seem to be the case! All we can do is keep trying to do the right thing. Thank you!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  6. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Trying to decide whether to give a shot or not? Shelley's pmps was 11. 9. Two hours later 14.1. She is eating only small amounts. Was thinking off 0.5 u but I am 2 hours after her normal shot time. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.