shooting 100insulin in u40 syringe

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Anonymous, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

over in pzi..what is that conversion? i can do it the otherway around...but..
    she needs 3 u's of u100 put into u40...you can post here if you want.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think you can do it that way - my understanding you can go from u40-u100 not the other way round ---

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Ditto what Hillary said.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

there has been much discussion on this subject from time to time.
    here's just one of many heated discussions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,1482699,1482699#msg-1482699

yes, it is possible to use U-40 syringes for a U-100 insulin, but it is NOT recommended. if you choose to draw a U-100 insulin into a U-40 syringe, you can use the conversion chart provided by FDMB... only use it backwards.

chart: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm.

as written above the chart:

"However, it is possible to use the below conversion chart to convert from U-40 to U-100 or U-100 to U-40 effortlessly. Simply find the amount that you need to use and find the appropriate conversion in the adjacent column."

1 unit of a U-100 insulin drawn into a U-40 syringe = 0.4u on a U-40 syringe
    3 units of a U-100 insulin drawn into a U-40 syringe = 1.2u on a U-40 syringe.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

THAT'S what I thought! but I did'nt want to be the one to break it to her until I was sure.
    I spent 20 minutes trying to do the math.... ohmygod_smile then gave up!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jill just read that first link....ahhh the old days. Seems all the Majors played in that particular ball game...Rebecca, Jojo, Terri, Susie, Janet, the list went on. I loved it. I miss the old 'rock stars' of fdmb...but it was of course posts like that (intelligent yet SNARKY) that wore everyone out.
    A trip down memory lane :razz:

7. weeble

weeble Member

I'm curious about this, because I was prescribed u-40 and was using Lantus. Does this mean I was doing it wrong the whole time? Wouldn't be surprised...

Wasn't. They're u100. Still curious though.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

possibly. make sure this is seen....put it in your condo or make a post about it.

9. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

That's what my math geek husband said, use the chart in reverse. However, for 3 units U100 she would need 1.2 on the U40, which would be really hard to draw. I wouldn't want to do it except for emergencies and not w/ a low dose.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it requires a magnifying glass. and reading glasses too. if you want to be exact..and even then, good luck. confused_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.