Short-Term Food Advice For A Noob

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by s-t-r-e-t-c-h, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s-t-r-e-t-c-h

s-t-r-e-t-c-h New Member

Hi all,

I switched Stretch to Purina DM a few days ago after being diagnosed. I picked the food up on the way home from the vet.

I will be doing more research on food, but I need to purchase more food right away because I am going to run out. In the brief time that I have been reading here I see that some feed Fancy Feast and I have also seen Weruva mentioned.

Since most of you have a lot of experience with diabetic diets, please feel free to point me in the right direction as I get started! (I did download the food chart)

Many thanks..

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You want low carb wet food that's no higher than 10% carbs, preferably below that. Fancy Feast and Friskies pates are fine to feed. If you're feeding the DM pate, it's 6% carbs as fed while the chunks version is 10%. That food chart is a great resource. :)

3. s-t-r-e-t-c-h

s-t-r-e-t-c-h New Member

Thank you for the reply. Yes a ton of work went into that food chart. I am very grateful to have that resource.

Besides carb content, are you aware of experiences people have had regarding ash content (Stretch has a UTI also) and other digestion issues, cost etc.?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Ash content is often mentioned wrt bladder issues and crystals in urine. One thing that helps many kitties is adding a good amount of warm water to all wet food meals. It increases urination and that's helpful. As far as digestive issues go, it's trial and error unless you know for sure he needs a limited ingredient diet. You might have to do some experimenting. Many with GI problems do better with wet food that has no gums in it or at least no carageenan. You might do some internet research on brands from the food chart that interest you.

BTW - many cats who have repeated bladder problems don't have any infection. Rather they have a form of "idiopathic cystitis". Some have crystals irritating the lining but many have inflammation of no known cause. Extra water in food is helpful. My cat was on prescription Urinary S/O wet food a long time before his diabetes diagnosis. I took him off that at diagnosis and switched him to other low carb wet foods and the bladder issues stopped. He has 3 to 4 tablespoons of water added to each wet food meal.

Re cost: Friskies is very economical and so is Fancy Feast though it's a bit more. Prescription wet food is expensive as are many of the limited ingredient specialty foods at pet stores.

5. s-t-r-e-t-c-h

s-t-r-e-t-c-h New Member

Thank you for all of the additional info.

I feel prepared now to go shopping tomorrow for food. Walmart has the Friskies pates so I may start out with those while I continue to get more educated.

Your tip about adding water is something I may go with as well. Thanks again.

Indigo likes this.
  6. s-t-r-e-t-c-h

s-t-r-e-t-c-h New Member

One thing that was astonishing to me is that almost immediately, Stretch's incessant drinking of water and excessive urination stopped. This has me very hopeful.

I got some Purina Pate food and will see how he does on it. He definitely is acting better for sure. Wow I had no idea that diet alone could make such a big difference!

Indigo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.