Shot 3 hours early by mistake 2/4 Lincoln PS 86,+2 108, +5 70,+9 151, +11 191, +13 297, PMPS 520

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lincolns Mom, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

+4.5 85 barely changed and hasnt had any food in the last hour

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I'd try not to fill him up. He still has a decent buffer for now and hopefully he will be hungry if he needs to eat. I'm not one that likes resorting to the syringe. Shooting at +15 tonight will be fine. His depot will be messed up a bit from the early shot this morning and the late shot this evening. If you want to adjust his shot time a little earlier depending on how today goes you can do that. Hopefully you can switch to hour testing soon.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Just another word of encouragement, Amber. You got this - it really is going to be fine

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you can just let him keep surfing. That's good he is staying steady without a lot of food.

@Doodles & Karen I have to leave again in about 25 minutes. Are you able to keep checking in today?

Lincolns Mom and Doodles & Karen like this.
  5. Lincolns Mom

thank you so much for all stopping in and helping and giving encouragement... i dont know what i would have done at 330am without this group

6. Doodles & Karen

I can keep checking for several hours. Hang in there Amber, you're both doing great.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

It is actually a very nice cycle albeit steered with food. You are doing great.

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Lincolns Mom like this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

Good. Thanks Karen. Amber you're doing great.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  9. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

*Whew Amber* I had a night like this with Scooter a few years back. I know how you felt through it all. It is the most horrible feeling.
    I did the same thing you did and I got on here and had folks think for me and they did! I love this place.
    You did and are doing amazing! Lincoln is in great hands. As far as giving the shot to early you are NOT alone it has been done by the best of us. So you are in a great group!

10. Lincolns Mom

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It's happened to us all. Sleep deprivation creates the most bizarre autopilot situations. You are doing great, Amber. Please keep in mind that at some point, your own honey (= OMG adrenalin) might wear off as well. You may need to carb Lincoln up at some point just so you can take care of yourself.

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

He's doing great and so are you Amber!

13. Lincolns Mom

+5 70... going to try some gravy again

and yes Kel already felt my body temp drop so i know its going to hit me hard too

14. Doodles & Karen

Did he eat good?

15. Lincolns Mom

yes got a little gravy with a drop of honey into him -- had to put 5 temptations on top but he licked it all clean - testing in 5 mins

16. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I put a "thumbs up" icon in but it didn't show up.

17. Doodles & Karen

If it starts to be too much for you go heavy on the gravy/honey to give him a good size bump to hopefully buy you a few hours. I reach those "peak" points and I know how much it takes Doodles to go up enough but he usually comes back down a few hours later.

18. Lincolns Mom

+5.5 58 -- even after getting that little bit of food 30 mins ago... rubbed honey on his gums... will retest at +6

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  19. Lincolns Mom

if he isnt up for the +6 test i will be giving a syringe of honey... does 2ml sound like a good starting point?

20. Doodles & Karen

1 tbsp. of honey have 17g of carbs to put it in perspective.

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Lincolns Mom like this.
  21. Doodles & Karen

I'm not familiar with what 2ml is in measurement. Just remember honey will wear off. Try not to make him vomit.

22. Lincolns Mom

1tbsp = 15ml ... how many carbs do you want me to get into him ?

23. Doodles & Karen

Just keep doing what you're doing. I don't know Lincoln like I do Doodles. A little at a time is fine

24. Lincolns Mom

ok i mixed up some more gravy with a little honey in it and i am going to try to get him to eat that first ... then hopefully he will stay up longer

25. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

HI Amber. Yes, get the +6. Only give a little honey at a time. Honey plus gravy sounds good. You don't want him to vomit.

Something to keep in mind... you're still 2 - 3 hours out from Lincoln's usual nadir. This shot packs extra oomph behind it since it was given 3 hours early. Give some thought and consideration to how you're feeling... whether you'll be able to go the distance after being up all night. And it's not just last night. From the looks of his spreadsheet, you've lost a lot of sleep lately. This incident may not be "over" in another couple hours. It may go on longer. When over-dosed, Lantus has the ability to produce prolonged hypos.

If you don't think you're up for the duration, please take him to your vet before they close. It'll be the best move for both of you. They can put him on a drip for a few hours and you can go home to catch a few Zzzzzzzzzzs.

Tonight's shot... it's much too early to think about. We've seen prolonged hypos go on for as long as 16 - 17 hours.

26. Lincolns Mom

+6 63 so came up a little from just honey on gums... got him to eat about a Tbsp of gravy with 2-3 drops of honey and 5 temptations on top again ... should help and should be able to maybe go without food or gravy for next couple checks after this

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  27. Jill & Alex (GA)

Please don't be concerned with managing his numbers like you do in a "normal" low number cycle. This cycle is extraordinary. You want to get him up and keep him up so that he'll drop less at nadir. he won't drop so low at nadir.

28. Lincolns Mom

i am just worried about getting him to eat given the lack of appetite this morning... so i am happy he just ate for sure right now only reason i said going without .. i was thinking about rebuilding appetite

29. Jill & Alex (GA)

See how it goes. You know him better than anyone else.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  30. Lincolns Mom

+6.5 88 gravy worked there for sure... got a little more gravy with a drop of honey and a few more temptations into him... hoping +7 is a bit higher

called the vet so they know the situation and are up to date what is happening today so if i have to just show up they are in the know

31. Jill & Alex (GA)

Wonderful! 88 is going in the right direction!

32. Lincolns Mom

FAST UPDATE
    Shot 7u at +9 instead of AMPS -- LC given at time of shot -- BG = 86
    +1 tested 95 -- gave a good blob of gravy
    +1.5 tested 101 - gravy with a bit of honey given
    +2 - 108 he isnt hungry after feeding curve all night.. but got him to eat 12 temptations
    +2.5 - 104
    +3 - 79 -- gave some gravy with a few temptations on top
    +3.5 - 92
    +4 - 88
    +4.5 - 85
    +5 - 70 --- gave some gravy. drop of honey, 5 temptations
    +5.5 - 58 - rubbed honey on gums
    +6 - 63 ate gravy with 2-3 drops of honey and 4 temptations
    +6.5 - 88 ate a little more gravy with a drop of honey and 4 temptations
    +7 - 115

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  33. Doodles & Karen

I hope he continues to go up Amber and you can get a nap in. I'm stepping out for a few hours but others are watching too. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

34. Lincolns Mom

+7 115 he is still relaxed and hanging in the man cave... still purring when i pick him up to test

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  35. Lincolns Mom

should i now hold food and see what happens in the next 30 mins?

36. Jill & Alex (GA)

Sure. If he drops in 30 minutes, bump him up again because you're approaching his normal time to nadir.

37. Jill & Alex (GA)

Unfortunately, I also have to step out, but I can "see" there are others online. I'll check back when I get back home.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  38. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

OH NO!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Please don't say this- he will be ok. You made an honest-sleep deprived mistake and are doing exactly what you should to keep him out of the danger zone. You have great folks here giving you excellent guidance and he's going to make this through unscathed. We worry so much more than our kitties do! Hang in there!

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  39. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I agree...if you didn't know about the 3 hour early shot of the tons of food and honey you've been pumping in to him, he looks great on paper!!! o_O:woot: Hang in there Lincoln's Mama....just a bit of time here to go and you are doing amazing!!! Such a devoted and caring mama bean!!!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  40. Lincolns Mom

+7.5 117 surfing with no food given in the last 30 mins

lol yeah is you didnt know the background he does look great on paper... wish he looked like that without honey and gravy lol and thank you the group is amazing to be a part of :)

41. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

What a night. I hope when this is finally over you can de-stress big time! This sleep deprivation really sucks. Yesterday I threw my socks in the trash instead of the laundry hamper. I know it was a benign mistake but it kind of freaked me out.
    You're the best mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Alex, should Lincoln's mama consider skipping his shot tonight on the PM cycle? This would definitely be running through my head if I were Lincoln's mama so I could try to drain the depot.

What do you, or others think?

You have been doing an amazing job @Lincolns Mom!!:bighug::bighug:

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  43. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Barbara & Uncle Hahah!!! this is funny but sad!!! :woot::woot:Yes, sleep deprivation is the worst!

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  44. Andreea&Tilica

Andreea&Tilica Member

Well done! :bighug:

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  45. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Good job Lincoln and Amber!

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  46. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Still cheering you and Lincoln on! You're doing great! :bighug:

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  47. Lincolns Mom

+8.5 101 - gave him an hour between testing that time... got him to eat a little more gravy with a drop of honey and 6 temptations

48. Red & Rover (GA)

You're doing great. I'm hoping that at some point, Lincoln will start to bounce just enough and you will have an easy cycle (and sleep) tonight.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  49. Lincolns Mom

i vote for that Kel lol

50. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Checking in on you and Lincoln again Amber. You're doing great, amazing actually!! Hoping Lincoln stays stable from this point on so you can get some rest. I can't imagine how exhausted you must be. When this is passed, please take care of yourself.
    Sending some more :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  51. Lincolns Mom

+9 151 going to give him another hour off of testing... no food given... that last bit of gravy helped to bring him up 50

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  52. Red & Rover (GA)

Any chance of a brief nap or is it best to keep going? Is there someone around who can wake you up if you sleep through a gazillion alarms?

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  53. Lincolns Mom

FAST UPDATE
    Shot 7u at +9 instead of AMPS -- LC given at time of shot -- BG = 86
    +1 tested 95 -- gave a good blob of gravy
    +1.5 tested 101 - gravy with a bit of honey given
    +2 - 108 he isnt hungry after feeding curve all night.. but got him to eat 12 temptations
    +2.5 - 104
    +3 - 79 -- gave some gravy with a few temptations on top
    +3.5 - 92
    +4 - 88
    +4.5 - 85
    +5 - 70 --- gave some gravy. drop of honey, 5 temptations
    +5.5 - 58 - rubbed honey on gums
    +6 - 63 ate gravy with 2-3 drops of honey and 4 temptations
    +6.5 - 88 ate a little more gravy with a drop of honey and 4 temptations
    +7 - 115
    +7.5 - 117
    +8.5 - 101 ate a little more gravy with a drop of honey and 6 temptations
    +9 - 151

54. Lincolns Mom

grabbing 1 hour right now.. i wont sleep through alarm :)

55. Red & Rover (GA)

Can someone call you on your phone in an hour? I'll do it, if you want.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  56. Lincolns Mom

DH home in 45 he will wake me -- thank you Kel :bighug:

57. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

You've done a great job Amber!

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  58. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad Lincoln has stayed in safe numbers for you and you are getting a nap in. You've handled things very well.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  59. Lincolns Mom

+10 184 no food for 1.5 hours

thank you everyone.. makes it easier to handle with all the support and knowledge here :bighug:

60. Jill & Alex (GA)

Amber, you did a GREAT job managing Lincoln's numbers!
    @Ozzy Pawzbourne
    Alex was the cat. I'm Jill. :D

I'm pretty sure Lincoln will be shootable at +15 from the last shot, BUT given the circumstances, I strongly suggest skipping tonight's shot in favor of a break and good night's sleep for all. I know all too well the exhaustion... the mental, emotional, and physical toll all this can take on a caregiver. Been there, done that. What I have found is that's it's ok to take a break. It's ok to take care of yourself. It's not only ok, but it's in kitty's best interest for a caregiver to recognize when they've hit "that wall" of exhaustion.

I've been in your shoes (more than once). I've been known to take a break... skip a shot... for no other reason than it was something I needed to do. Amber, you've been burning the candle at both ends. Be good to yourself. Take care of yourself. Go out, have fun, or get some rest tonight! Do it for you. Lincoln will be back on track in no time at all!

61. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great job today Amber handling Lincoln's numbers. Looking back, he had a great cycle but you must be exhausted.:bighug: I second Jill's suggestion to get some sleep yourself tonight. Many a time I had to take a break and catch up on sleep. Though I didn't skip, I'd do a "temporary" reduction for a few days until I recharged my batteries. It takes two to do this FD dance and both partners (you and Lincoln) have to be able do the steps.

62. Lincolns Mom

will decide closer to shot time... if it looks like a bounce is starting then i might want some insulin on board for him... thank you all for your support today.. i knew i wasnt alone and that means everything:bighug::bighug:

63. carfurby (GA)

I was thinking the same thing. Skipping the shot or reducing the shot is probably a good idea.

64. Lincolns Mom

+11 191 giving him and myself a 2 hour break

65. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Wow, Amber, you've done a GREAT job keeping Lincoln safe today!!! Don't beat yourself up about it, so many of us have made similar mistakes, myself included; instead, pat yourself on the back for having handled it so well. But I know you must be beyond exhaustion. Jill is absolutely correct, you can't keep burning the candle at both ends or you're going run out of candle! Please do consider skipping tonight's shot, or at least giving a much reduced dose, so you can get some much-needed rest, knowing Lincoln will be safe. You have definitely earned a break!!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

66. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Wow My heart was I my throat reading through and oh what a great job you did Amber ! I echo the skip tonight and sleep idea :cat:

Amber we have a made some sleep deprived snafus so, no beating yourself up !

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  67. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Amber, you did an awesome job today, keeping your head and asking for help, then following the guidance given. I agree - this place and these people are incredible.

I also agree with the suggestion to skip tonight. Remember, Lincoln has a large depot, so he won't be without insulin - it will just come out of the depot. You do need a chance to regroup, and Lincoln will probably welcome the break, too.

Whatever you decide to do at PMPS, you know your L&L Land family has your back.

68. Lincolns Mom

+13 297... he was looking for real food so he got a little wellness chicken and beef... looked very happy to have something besides gravy lol... plus if i decide to shot at +15 then no food between now and then

considering how fast he is rising i think a bounce is starting and if that is true i would rather shoot... but there are many opinions here that i respect saying i should think other wise... going to wait til +15 to decide

69. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Only you can make this decision, Amber, but please consider your own situation, as well as Lincoln's. You saw what happened when you were so sleep deprived. It will not hurt him to miss one shot and could do you both a world of good if you get some really quality rest.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  70. Lincolns Mom

Tricia what about a BCS? do you think that would be an ok option? then i know he wont fly off to the moon and i can get some rest... DH is home and is offering to help so that i can get some rest

but i agree i made a big mistake due to being sleep deprived

71. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

The thing about a BCS is that you still have the depot. So it's hard to say how much of a reduction the cat will actually get with that shot. If your husband is willing and able to monitor tonight, I suppose it is a good option, but I wouldn't do one if someone isn't able to stay up as long as may be needed. I'm not a high dose expert like @Wendy&Neko or @julie & punkin (ga), but I'd probably go no more than half the normal dose. Let's see if one of them has a thought or two about it.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  72. Doodles & Karen

Skipping you don't have to monitor at all, you get sleep and Lincoln gets a pokie break too. If you were to do a BCS personally I'd go with a 50% dose. You have great advise but we're all pretty concerned that you haven't really slept in....forever it seems. They really do recover either way. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

73. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Back checking on you and Lincoln. Whew!! I can't even find words to tell you enough how much of an INCREDIBLE job you did today keeping Lincoln safe!! You are an amazing mama!!

But, please Amber, for your sake and his... get some rest tonite. It's one skipped shot and like others have said, he's got a pretty good depot, so give both of you a break. You not only deserve it, you NEED it! He'll be OK and he'll recover.

Sending some HUGE :bighug::bighug::bighug: your way and vines for a good, peaceful night's sleep.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  74. Lincolns Mom

he just tested at 520... i talked to DH and he is going to help so i can get some sleep... i know you are all concerned but i cannot sit here with him in the blacks and not shoot -- i have to help that number come down ... sorry

75. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad your DH is going to help you out tonight. I hope you can get some rest and Lincoln will come back down slowly. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  76. Red & Rover (GA)

Sleep is good. Holler if needs be.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  77. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I would have to shoot that black number too. Hope you are getting some restful sleep, Amber

78. Doodles & Karen

I'm glad your DH is there to help. You did great today as always. Hope you get some sleep.

79. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would probably have to shoot that 520, too, even against all good argument, I confess, lol! Maybe a reduced dose, though? Glad DH is there to lend a hand, praying you get some sleep tonight and Lincoln stays away from the sharks!

80. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Absolutely no reason to apologize. Everyone of us understands why you made that choice, and no one blames you a bit. Your DH is wonderful to help out. I hope you are sound asleep and getting the rest you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.