"Shot Past The Right Dose"?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie and Eleanor (GA), May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me what happens if you have shot past the right dose? How can you tell?

2. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Constant somogyi rebound... so, persistently high numbers no matter how much you increase the dose. When the dose is too high the cat actually goes hypoglycemic, but the body is dumping so much emergency glucagon and hormonal counter-hypo measures into the blood that the numbers are constantly appearing elevated.

I am not sure about that in relation to your spreadsheet though. Hopefully someone else knows better. :sad:

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Here is a pretty good site that explains it http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Somogyi_rebound

This is the part that explains the pattern to look for the best.
    A typical rebound pattern, most often seen with long-acting insulins, is a high, flat, unresponsive blood sugar over a period of days. Sometimes, often when raising dosage, this high flat curve will be punctuated by sudden drops to very low values, (with possible hypoglycemic events) followed by a fast return to high unresponsive numbers. (It's the sudden dip that distinguishes this pattern from inadequate insulin, but it doesn't always happen.)

Mel, Maxwell, Musette, Autumn & The Fur Gang

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Looking at her spreadsheet I see she was getting better numbers on much lower doses, then she spikes high and stays there, you increase the dose, again she takes a steep dive and then goes up even higher and stays there again the higher you go in the dose the higher and flatter her numbers are. Which makes me wonder if .5u wasn't possibly also too high of a dose for her.

But as far as I know the only way to really figure it out is to drop the dose down, let it settle and the shed to drain some and see if the numbers get better. Of course should you decide to drop her dose and check to see if she is rebounding you will want to check her for ketones as often as possible.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette, Autumn & The Fur Gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.