Should i change dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mister's Owner, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Can someone please look at misters chart and give me a little advice?
    He has been bouncing and he was getting high numbers in the am from low at night and it seems like it's still happening.
    I took him down to 2u
    And lately pm he has been staying in the 150-180 range forever making me wait an extra 1 1/2 hrs for him to reach 200 bg to give insulin. So I pulled back to 1.75u Last night and tonight
    And he was at 197 bg at the 12hr Mark. But then he is 330 bg in the am.
    Do I make another change or leave it alone?

Thanks,
    Tina

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may already have checked the following in 2015, though how a cat responds to insulin can change over time.
    Some cats may nadir earlier on Prozinc, closer to +5 hours post-shot than +7. If that were true, testing around then could identify it..
    And in some cats, it may not last a full 12 hours and will show a marked rise earlier than expected. testing occasionally around +8, +9, +10, +11, may show that if it is happening.
    Either or both of this may have some impact on what you are observing, or be irrelvant.

Mister's Owner likes this.
  3. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

He seems to be pretty low at +7 through +11 lately +5 isn't usually that low but I will get more numbers.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can, try to get some numbers at night. I am wondering if he is dripping lower at night and then bouncing for amps.

If not, and he is just consistently higher in the am, you could look at dosing 11/13.

Mister's Owner likes this.
  5. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

I just seen this post and woke up suddenly
    So at +6 1/2 a 151 tonight. Maybe the 1.75u is to little but he was on 197bg at pmps. Guess I'll keep trying to wake at different hrs for a few days.
    I read the article but what do you mean by you could look at dosing 11/13. ?

Thanks again for your help
    Tina

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If one of their preshots is consistently lower than the other, you can shoot one hour later for that low one (giving it time to come up) and one earlier for the higher one (catching it before it comes up) in Mister's case, you could shoot at +11 in the morning and +13 at night. Or you can try 11.5 and 12.5. You are using ProZinc's adaptability to work better with his numbers.

The +6 last night looked like a bit of a surf from the preshot (in the same range as the preshot)but it's hard to know whether he could have dropped lower later and then bounced. Other things to look at for the higher amps are food - does he eat at night or get no food (that could be a difference from the daytime cycle). Any chance he eats in the two hour period before the amps? The difference in day/night cycles can also reflect activity levels: if he plays during the day but sleeps all night, activity can mean lower numbers.

It's hard to tell. To me, it looks like he has a later nadir during the day (for whatever reason) and a higher amps. So I would work around those factors in some way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.