Should I go up or down on dosage?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hizzoze, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hizzoze

Hizzoze Member

Hello!
    We were away last week and had one of the vet techs from our vets office come to our home 2x a day to feed Moxie and give her the insulin injection. At some point mid week, Moxie started peeing on our kitchen floor. This isn't out of the ordinary, since that was one of the reasons I took her to the Vet back in April, thinking she had a uti. That was when she was DX as a sugar cat. The only difference was, then she was peeing in our bathroom. Hubby had a brilliant idea after cleaning and replacing the bathroom floor, to put a gate up. So, the only place the cats can get to are the litter boxes. It is an odd set up and we have to open the gate and step over the boxes to get into the bathroom, but it stopped Moxies floor peeing, until we were on vacation. Sorry for rambling... She was on 3u all week. Sat 15-Fri 21. Her BG has been in the mid to high 300 since Friday. I even got a 400 reading yesterday. Which is the highest it has been since I started home testing. My chart is all in the pink and yellow, except for the one red. I upped her prozinc last eve to 3.5u and it is no better. Should I go back down to 2.25 or 2.5, or even lower? Stay at 3.5? Her number have been worse since we have been home. Also, someone mentioned her peeing on the floor could be a uti, but she has also been on antibiotics all week for a URI. (that cleared up nicely). The odd thing is, she is acting better than before we left. I guess that could be bc she felt yucky from her URI? ANY input would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Much love ~Moxies mom

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Stress will raise BG, and cause inappropriate peeing. High BG will also cause inappropriate peeing since that's one of the ways cats tell us they don't feel well.

Just a couple of days ago my kitty climbed into my backpack and peed. That was awesome. :confused::(:rolleyes: (he's been sick this week)

I'm guessing that you do need more insulin, but I would hold the 3.5 tonight at least. Then if you have a similar PS in the morning you could increase to 3.75. If you have a lower PS (under 250ish), then I would hold the dose and post again.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It definitely could be stress of you being away that caused it. Is she still peeing on the floor or does that seem to have stopped now that you're home?

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it had something to do with you being away too, like Rachel's thinking. How many days have you been back now? And is it still occurring? Are you using an enzyme cleaner to clean it up?

I'm with Djamila for dosing advice. We like to hold a dose for at least 3 cycles :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.