Should I switch foods?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alicia & Chester, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Chester

Alicia & Chester New Member

Hi everyone. So I'm thinking about switching Chester's food from 1 can of Friskies a day to 2 cans of Fancy Feast (roasted chicken and roasted turkey flavours). I've been reading Dr Pierson's website and she says the ideal cat diet is wet food that's less than 10% carbs, less than 40% fat, and greater than 50% protein and those flavours of Fancy Feast fit the bill and aren't too expensive. I also like that they have meat listed before any by-products. My only concern is that he's doing great with his diabetes on Friskies. He's been OTJ since last spring and I'm worried about a relapse even though they are the same carb amount as he gets in the Friskies. (Yes, I'm a worrier). I will be discussing it with his doctor at his next check up in February before making any changes, but I wanted your input as they try to push the DM food which is much more expensive and more carbs. I'm not sure if they truly believe it's a better food or if they are just trying to make money. Maybe both. Do you think switching is okay or should I not rock the boat? Thanks.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

The Fancy Feast is to be envied by us in Europe where we don't have it, because I like that Fancy Feast have so many different varieties to chose from.

I think we have food regulated cats here who are doing fine eating Fancy Feast.

Hope some of them can help you.

Alicia & Chester likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I think if Chester is doing fine on his low carb Friskies and he is happy with that, I would not rock the boat.

4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

My Billy is doing great, and we feed him mostly Fancy Feast but also some Friskies pates he likes. I just make sure to use the food chart to get the lowest carb options. I think feeding a variety of flavors can really help keep a cat interested. Of course, every cat is different, but I wouldn't completely cut the Friskies if he likes it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.